Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
QuipFrok

Hexen maps weren't working

No matter what I did Hexen maps weren't running except when I did zdoom hexen. Regular hexen maps wouldn't run in Hexen or jHexen.

I found this:

"For those interested, Doom Builder saves the wads with a behaviour lump of 0 bytes, unless you write a script for the level. Apparently jHexen doesn't like that one bit - which might well be as it should. I just imported a lump without actual scripts from another level, and it worked like a charm.

(A simpler way would be to create a script with only '#Include "common.acs"' in Doom Builder.)"

What I know, is that using XWE I was able to import a script to my map and now it runs.

Was the above fact done for a reason? or an oversite?
or is it wrong?

Not looking for ANY trouble just want to build maps

QuipFrok

Hmmm.. perhaps when doing a Hexen map-go to -> scripts and try to make some. You should have a blank field with a button make script, or just some writings. Try to make a simple script:

#include "common.acs"
and COMPILE it! that's important as well. Try it.

Hexen format maps do not allow a blank behavior lump unless you're using ZDoom. I usually include an extra line of code, just in case:

Script 1 (void) {}
Which should make your SCRIPTS lump look like this:
#include "zcommon.acs" //or "common.acs" for vanilla Hexen

Script 1 (void) {}

Hexen doesn't care about the SCRIPTS lump. All that counts is the BEHAVIOR lump, which contains the compiled scripts. Have a look at hexen.wad, it doesn't even contain a SCRIPTS lump.

I said
Hexen format maps do not allow a blank behavior lump unless you're using ZDoom

Read my whole post next time, please.

What I was trying to poke at was, I suggest compiling it like this if only an #include line doesn't work:

#include "common.acs"

Script 1 (void {}
I agree with you, however, on the note that the SCRIPTS lump just may as well have been a foreign lump with a name like "OMFG", it doesn't need to be there at all.