Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erp

Rescue Me (the cable show)

Anybody else watching this? I always liked Dennis Learys' comedy, but this aint close to funny.
Is Denis Leary really giving a good portrayal of a NYFD member? His character is a delusional, jealous, lying, alcoholic, immoral asshole, and the members of his squad are brave, but idiot, bigoted, sexist jerks. And they seem to think the world owes them something special for doing their job.
I hope that Leary is wrong, that firefighters are not really like this. I'd let my house burn down before I'd call him for help.
I'm not a prude, I love The Shield. It's a great show that is not pretending to be realistic.
Rescue Me is a very pessimistic, sarcastic look at the WORST of human qualities and I really doubt it will get a second season. It makes firefighters look like turds.

I like the show.

Anybody else watching this? I always liked Dennis Learys' comedy, but this aint close to funny.

It's not supposed to be funny really. There are a couple jokes and stuff, but it's mainly supposed to be a drama. Only instead of being about cops like every other drama on TV, it's about fire fighters.

Is Denis Leary really giving a good portrayal of a NYFD member? His character is a delusional, jealous, lying, alcoholic, immoral asshole, and the members of his squad are brave, but idiot, bigoted, sexist jerks. And they seem to think the world owes them something special for doing their job.

Okay, maybe you only saw one episode or weren't paying attention, but this has all be explained. The hallucinations he has are all of people who he failed to save while he was working. He feels that it's his fault that they died and he takes responsibility for their deaths, which is why they follow him around. It's symbolism for a burden he carries. The biggest loss is his cousin who he actually talks to. All his other qualities can be attributed to this.

As far as the depection of fire fighters, it's somewhat accurate. I work with firefighters a bit the last two summers and generally they are conservative 'manly' guys. I don't think they're really complaining that the world owes them something in the show, more like they would like a little recognition.

I hope that Leary is wrong, that firefighters are not really like this. I'd let my house burn down before I'd call him for help.

So you'd rather die than get help from someone who doesn't fit into your view of a perfect citizen? Everyone has their flaws, but that hardly makes them worthless.

Rescue Me is a very pessimistic, sarcastic look at the WORST of human qualities and I really doubt it will get a second season. It makes firefighters look like turds.

I've never watched the Shield, but I think this is more about realism. Everyone's life isn't all sunshine and lollypops (excuse the expression) and they have to overcome their flaws and obsticals and in the end everyone gets what's coming to them. The guy who beat up the gay guy got suspended and had to go to trial and his son (who is gay) hates him, Leary's character has problems with his estranged wife's boyfriend and ends up nearly beating him up as well as freezing his credit cards and checking accounts (thanks to his computer nerd nephew) gets the shit beat out of him by some guys who are friends with said boyfriend.

Good stuff so far, very gritty and real, imo, and I'll be watching it tonight.

Saw tonight's episode, it was pretty cool.

The rant that guy made in front of the 9-11 support group was fucking brilliance-- oddly, it's what I thought the entire week that happened. I live in goddamn Pennsylvania, my neighbors are mourning over people who died that they've never met! Like they give a fuck every time a Palestinian child picks the wrong pile of rubble to play hopscotch in a minefield.

I wave everytime i see firefighters in my town, but they never wave back, because they do what they do im not going to diss them tho.