Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
keisukeMamoru86

Getting the most of out a Radeon 9200

Hi, I recently bought a Radeon 9200 2x/4x/8x (my AGP slot is a 2x), and my Doom III experience is a little better than i've had before (i was using a Geforce2 Ultra), but is still extremely choppy in large rooms or gunfights (If i stare at a wall i get about 50 fps, but if i walk into a huge room, then I get like 14 fps, as well as in battles.)

I would just like to know any suggestions you guys have on tweaking so i could get the most of of my game and card. Thanks!

my system specs are:
AMD-K7 Athlon Processor
698 MHz
384 MB of RAM
ATI Radeon 9200 128MB AGP 2x/4x/8x

698 MHz

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (sorry couldn't help it)

The minimum specs is 1.5ghz, or 1500mhz. It says on the box. I really suggest you get a new motherboard, get a new processor with it, and a new video card. Heck, get a new comp.

Run in Low Quality in 640x480. Disable all game effects, including shadows. Be sure to have any anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering disabled in your Display Properties. Update your graphics card drivers. Be sure you have "AGP Fast Writes" enabled. Close all unnecessary background applications. Install DirectX 9.0c. Defragment your hard drive.

Not necessarily in that order.

Well I'm just 18 years old with a scrap-paying job, so i can't exactly afford all that. I just bought the 9200 a few days ago, so I'm thinking of returning it and getting a better one. Is that BFG Geforce FX good? (I forgot what model number it was). Would buying extra memory help?

Also thanks for the replies anyway

Getting both a better processor and a video card will help you. Seeing how low the cpu is I'm assuming the motherboard you have wont support a higher cpu. Don't know any exact motherboards to recommend though. Your ram is fine.

one more thing, on pricewatch.com you can find a 3ghz for only $138!!

thanks for the replies guys!

what graphics card would you recommend? I'm planning on returning the 9200 ($99 back! yeayuh!!) and buying a new one. What graphics card would you recommend i replace it with? the BFG GeForce FX 5500 OC? what else? also looking to upgrade my cpu this saturday. thanks!

Don't forget that motherboard. Your current one will probably not support a higher processor.

Speaking of processors...

http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=3&a=5163&f=1
(first one)
And for motherboard...

http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=2&a=4121&f=1
(any should do, the second one looks just like mine.)

Get a Geforce 5700 Ultra or above to ensure good videocard performance.