Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

Why lose guns?

This is a question that came up in a different thread "What was Doom 3's biggest flaw."

Why is it that when you teleport to hell, you lose all your weapons? But when you teleport by the same means throughout the lab, you don't lose your weapons? And why don't you lose your weapons when you go to fight the Cyber Demon?

Just wondering.

Instead of making it harder, they removed weapons witch makes sence.

They most likely did it for performance reasons. More monster=more pollys=lag.

It certainly doesn't make any sense. If you lose weapons when you go to hell, how did all those weapons get to hell then?

To me, it sort of pays homage to back in Doom1 when you changed episodes. You were suddenly in hell, and for some reason you had lost all your weapons. This is most apparent in the episode 2 to episode 3 conversion, where even after beating the Cyberdemon and being fully aware that he would need to fight his way through hell, the doomguy discards all his guns as he rapells down to the surface of hell. The teleporters here sort of have a similar effect, taking you to new areas in a similar fashion whilst removing your guns. Sort of gives it the feeling of going to whole new episodes.

Or maybe that's just me. I dunno anymore.

does it really fucking matter?

how come in halo you have to pick up new energy weapons instead of reloading them. you cant reload the plasma pistol or plasma rifle, you can only replace them. how come in multiplayer halo non-cooking plasma grenades can be set off by an explosion but non-cooking fragmentation grandes cannot? (in single player both grenade types can be detonated by a nearby explosion).

(yes, i know this has nothing to do with halo... im making a point).

Godshatter said:

how come in halo you have to pick up new energy weapons instead of reloading them. you cant reload the plasma pistol or plasma rifle, you can only replace them. how come in multiplayer halo non-cooking plasma grenades can be set off by an explosion but non-cooking fragmentation grandes cannot? (in single player both grenade types can be detonated by a nearby explosion).

(yes, i know this has nothing to do with halo... im making a point).

It matters because I asked. It doesn't always have to be front-page news material to post it on here. It was a question that came up and your flaming isn't welcome.

Also, this isn't a Halo forum, this is a Doom 3 forum. Stay on topic :P

I know, it's just a game, and it "doesn't matter," but what would your explanation be? Stupid answers aside like:
- It doesn't matter or Why does it matter?
- "Who cares?"
- It's just a game
- It's a game
- or anything of that nature.

If you could, please give an actual idea...not some sarcastic little comment.

Clearly Hell is in the past. So the teleport-to-hell device is a Terminator Movie type time machine. If you look carefully you will surley notice that the marine is also naked.

etimmerAZ said:

Clearly Hell is in the past.

Excuse me? How is it "clearly" in the past?

Godshatter said:

Yeah, trying to come up with realistic reasons as to why you can't transport weapons to hell and others can is crazy, and a big waste of time. It's just a gameplay decision on id's part, hell is a mini-progression within the game.

By removing all guns before and after hell, you've effectively created a separate level. They could have made hell anything they wanted because of this. Heck, they could have done the whole game then thrown hell together at the last moment. OR they could have done hell before anything else. OR they could have done hell based on predetermined plans.

I don't have any complaints because you get your weapons, and it's not overly difficult. Actually it's too easy. You could keep your guns and they could quadruple the monsters but I rather like my computer not being a pile of goo. Can you pile goo?

The difference is that Betruger activated the teleporter. In doing so it's my guess that he also activated a filter to screen out all non-organic matter (except the PDA which strangely enough remains intact). Hence, the marine lands naked in Hell. All other telporting was activated by the marine himself. I think it added a lot to the fear factor.

this is just like the fact that somehow satan can mastermind an invasion, but hes far too lazy to hide the strategically placed guns and health from around his domain. apparently betreugers in for a good old fashioned prison beef injection from demons after not picking up the toys.

Dunbar said:
To me, it sort of pays homage to back in Doom1 when you changed episodes. You were suddenly in hell, and for some reason you had lost all your weapons. This is most apparent in the episode 2 to episode 3 conversion, where even after beating the Cyberdemon and being fully aware that he would need to fight his way through hell, the doomguy discards all his guns as he rapells down to the surface of hell. The teleporters here sort of have a similar effect, taking you to new areas in a similar fashion whilst removing your guns. Sort of gives it the feeling of going to whole new episodes.

Or maybe that's just me. I dunno anymore.

Obviously... naturally these things have to do with game mechanics, but the main reason why they chose this gimmick to balance the game out and not another is that it's an easter egg... they could have solved the issue (of monster balance or whatever) in many other ways, but they chose this one in particular... which isn't something you usually do deliberately in newer games.

One of the PDA's clearly states that they took a team armed with BFG's through the main Delta teleporter. So why do they get to keep their stuff and not so me.

Mordeth said:

One of the PDA's clearly states that they took a team armed with BFG's through the main Delta teleporter. So why do they get to keep their stuff and not so me.

Because Hell would have been easy, and border-line pointless.

Has no one noticed the fact that you dont actually walk through the teleporter? No, instead, the portal reaches out and sucks you into it - not any of the equipment or the corpses in the room, just you. If it can be that discriminate, why wouldn't it be able to just pull you in and none of the weapons you are carrying?

You can't use the "guns aren't in the past" excuse because guns exist before the doom guy did. This is just another gameplay device.

Didn't the Doom guy get trapped in some cage in Hell? If so, maybe the rest of the guys that teleported through just kind of landed or appeared in Hell already. Perhaps Bertruger ordered you to be stripped of your weapons in order for you to "play the game" correctly. I mean, all of Hell seemed like a game, you know, get the berserk and a bunch of guys come out and attack you. I think Bertruger was just toying with you, he'd never think you'd actually kill the Cyberdemon, etc.

Or maybe I've just seen The Running Man too many times.

Rockn-Roll had the best explaination here, lol. Great!

My initial theory is that Hell is really far away and/or hard to get to. When UAC employees warp to hell, I'm sure they set the transporter to a reasonable speed, but when Betruger sends you to hell, he sets the goddanmed hell transporter to a warp factor of 10. The insane speed at which you reach hell caused you to drop all of your weapons. Being transported around the lab is a relatively short trip, so you still hang on to your weapons and armor.

.... hey, where does doom guy stow those big ass rifles and chainsaw anyway? If you change weapons while looking in the mirror you can see he reaches for his ass to grab a new weapon. Or perhaps he has a little invisible red radio flyer wagon he reaches down into. :-P