Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

Why lose guns?

Just when I started thinking about opening the Doom 3 box, I see this thread...

Just kidding. I never really thought about opening it. Seriously, it's not excusable for a game made in 2004 to be unable to handle more than 3 enemies at a time. This isn't 1974.

AndrewB said:

Just when I started thinking about opening the Doom 3 box, I see this thread...

Just kidding. I never really thought about opening it. Seriously, it's not excusable for a game made in 2004 to be unable to handle more than 3 enemies at a time. This isn't 1974.

Good.

... I had a smart ass remark for AndrewB in this space before editing, but after looking at his registered date, I did my homework and can tell that Andrew is a big fan of the old school 2d stuff. I can see where he's coming from now, but I don't agree with it.

Touche' sir, however there were many scenes with trites where there was more than three at one time, plus the guradian had the three seekers, so that makes four so there! :)

AndrewB said:

Seriously, it's not excusable for a game made in 2004 to be unable to handle more than 3 enemies at a time. This isn't 1974.

do you expect for there to be sprites instead of md5 models?

Heh, well.. you do lose all of your weapons BEFORE you actually teleport into hell (you can see your weapon switching to a fist before you get sucked into the teleporter)

AndrewB said:

I can think of a few places where you fight like.. 6 enemies? maybe, at once. Now this isnt hordes of demons, but that's not what the game is about. It's not Serious Sam, it's Doom 3.

Story people, story. Betruger activated the teleporter and like said on page 1 of this thread, the portal reached out and got you and thus only took you and no weapons, to be evil. Duh.

Well, it might be the fact that teleporters (in theory) split up your atoms, and then rearrange them in another place (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory style) so if you went in with guns and whatever your particles might merge with the guns/clothes or something. Like in Terminator, why they have to teleport in naked.

You enter hell without gear because in the original mythos, you can only pass through the GATES (not just teleporting) naked. Read the Doom books. It's all there.

I'm pretty sure that betruger/satan has the power to remove your weapons, i mean it is his domain, he can move the very landscape and make things appear and disappear at will, so its pretty obvious he removed your weapons, just to laugh at you running around in fear. The scattered weapons are probably from all the marines that went in before you and came back insane. Thats my logic anyway. :P

Lectrix said:

I'm pretty sure that betruger/satan has the power to remove your weapons, i mean it is his domain, he can move the very landscape and make things appear and disappear at will, so its pretty obvious he removed your weapons, just to laugh at you running around in fear. The scattered weapons are probably from all the marines that went in before you and came back insane. Thats my logic anyway. :P

That's probably one of the best ideas I've seen on this thread. No offense to everyone else, you all had good ideas (except for Schlonger).

Schlonger, the Doom books don't accurately reflect the Doom game. It keeps the general storyline but doesn't have the same IMPORTANT details.

Lectrix said:

I don't think Betruger is any Satan. If he's so all-powerfull why doesn't he just squash you like a bug or make you teleport into a lava pit.

Meanwhile id say you lose your weapons because the damned teleporter is fucked up and all that stuff gets thrown off into the void... or somethin. Why didn't they just put the reason why in the game. Not that it really matters.

Two satisfactory explanations:

1. As someone else pointed out, it's a nod to the original DooM in that when you changed complete locations (ie: episodes... phobos, deimos, and hell) you lost your weapons.

2. It could be that organic material and inorganic material CANNOT be transported together and must be transported seperately. Probably why there are so many containers at the teleport landing in Hell.

You could say "But you can teleport with your guns throughout the lab" but I could say "Those teleporters are different than the gigantic one that sends you to hell specifically, and therefore calibrated differently. Possibly because it's easier to seperate inorganic and organic material when teleporting to the same dimensional plane."

So there you go. A realistic explanation, and a geeky fictional but sensible explanation.

I think Betruger was possessed from the start. I mean, before anything even happened he said very confidently "Amazing things are going to happen here, you just wait." And then he goes into the portal ALONE with the soul cube....and finally he continues his research in the portal, knowing what was on the other side, and then releases hell.

I think he was just possessed by a tricky demon that didn't truely show himself until Hell was free.

If you knew anything about the Doom books, or logic itself, you'd know that they DO entail the BASIC MYTHOS. Call someone at ID for all I care. You lose your weapons because passing through a gate is supposed to leave you naked. You don't lose your guns at the end because you aren't in hell, just on the receiving end of a gate.