Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

The hunt was better than the catch..

I have been waiting 4 years for this game. Analyzing each screenshot, each snippit of info. And I enjoyed the hunt. But I do feel like the friend of the author of this reviewthat, to mee, says it all.

The feeling that Id was becoming more about hype and marketing started with RTCW. When Todd H. talked about the fantastic A.I in RTCW that was really disapointing (nothing new). And now this, just an average game (but a good looking one). But as i said i enjoyed the hunt, and count on some good mods.

Bye

I think you let your hopes get to high so they had nowhere to go but down. I've been waiting for this game just as long and I was very satisfied with it, as were many others. That's the problem with expectations. If you keep feeding them with possibilities there's no way a game/movie/girl can live up to them.

It´s a litte sad, that id cut so many scenes from the alpha and other movies. You know, the "bathroom scene", demon breaking through pipes, Shadow of Hell Knight appearing on the wall, player getting out of ammo facing a chainsaw zombie... I could go on. But I never expected all the content from the early versions to be in the final game. Although they could have kept one or two good scenes.
Otherwise, Doom 3 is a really good game that lived up to my expectations.

I was under the impression that Doom 3 was actually going to create a decent-to-good realistic-interpretation of an ENTIRE space colony; also that the hallways and connecting hallways were going to be MUCH wider, higher, and all offer window-views of Mars (See id teaser picture from alpha with the 3 soldiers and the scientist in the hallway.

Also, i expected things like Monorail stations, food courts, shopping malls, habitation/entertainment areas, etc.

Even the reception movie after the bioscan in the game shows it.

Oh well.......

However, let's not forget my all-to-common answer to all problems regarding doom3, the 3 M's:

MOD it
MAP it
MAKE it

and as SpongeBob once said "And all your dreams will come true"

'nuff said

Yah the alpha IMO had some more horrific moments then the final game, and had one hell of an intro! Not to mention better sound. But that matter couldn't be helped. All the promises id made. Shooting a window can such you out and monsters. Cherubs causes hallucination. And the arch-vile is scripted. I think we were just expecting so much from the long wait, it crashed on us. Mabey with the next game they will keep more of it under raps. Or if we're lucky another tech demo leak :)

I have to agree with that review. Everything in the game is awesome, but there is a lack of variety that drags doom down. I can't stand the imps or zombies or z-sec, I really loved the cherubs, the maggots were awesome, the cacodemons scare the pants off me when in an enclosed space or in the martian atmosphere (not enough of these) and the trites were used correctly only once (in the outdoor section when they overrun you).

Good game, badly executed in areas.

I thought story and art were great. But it did lack level design. I think my complaint is too much base, not enough hell. Maybe they should work on layout. The brought out all there monsters at once too. They should have kept some surprises for the end. And I must complain about the lack of gore. I still remember Dooms twitching bodies.

I think the only thing I can complain about is that they used imps too much. They should have used the same progression and monster placement they didn in the other games. The farther you got, the more of the tougher monsters you'd meet. Pinkies needed to be in the game a LOT more, for instance.

SupremeGeneral said:

Whaaah

The UAC Mars base is what some of us refer to as utilitarian. All the necessities of the base are there, with none of the frills. When you're trying to establish a colony on a nother planet, would you be diverting money to life support systems and energy or into making pedestrian malls? Also, you didn't see the living quarters because there were no relevant reasons to stop there. If I was in a Hell-infested base, I'm pretty sure I'd take the fastest route out, failing to stop at the marine barracks unless absolutely necessary. This base is massive, but you spend most of your time in the underbelly because that's where you actually need to go. In fact, that's half the fun of getting to edit for the game. It gives mappers a chance to flesh out the story and add to the arguably (occasionally) skeletal storyline and single player game.

Jomero said:

Pinkies needed to be in the game a LOT more, for instance.

Yeah, they completely vanished after the Alpha Labs or so. Also, Hell is only occupied by Mancs, Imps and HellKnights it seems, maybe a stray Lost Soul here and there. Uh, okay.

Heh I stayed away from this forum largely for two years because I couldn't be bothered to argue about something I didn't have yet PLUS I know from experience that if you get haevily involved in something it always seems to be a disappointment when it's finally over. Part of that is the not wondering/debating what will be there anymore.

Instead I just ignored everything, ignored all the spoilers flying round after the USA release, waited patiently for my store to get it in then bought and played it like a virgin. And I really enjoyed it.

Use3D said:

Yeah, they completely vanished after the Alpha Labs or so. Also, Hell is only occupied by Mancs, Imps and HellKnights it seems, maybe a stray Lost Soul here and there. Uh, okay.

My thoughts exactly! Its hell! It should be crawling with wraiths, maggots, Pinkeys and cacodemons. All the demons should have at least made a small appearance.

pritch said:

And I really enjoyed it.

Oh sure, I have a few gripes but I can safely say I like the game and I'm playing it again a second time. I also want to map for it ;D

I had a few gripes as well but NONE of them obstructed my enjoyment of an utterly top-notch game.

If you don't expect much from a game, than you'll never be disapointed.

It doesn't matter how good a game is, you will always think it was going to better. So don't get your hopes so high about a game and you won't be so whiny.

P.S. - RTCW was a great game :P

pritch said:

Instead I just ignored everything, ignored all the spoilers flying round after the USA release, waited patiently for my store to get it in then bought and played it like a virgin. And I really enjoyed it.

That's pretty much what I did too, except for the really enjoying it bit. :-(

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it and I have played it through quite a few times now, have already tried quite a few mods, tweaked stuff myself and also downloaded and played one custom level. However, I also pretty much agree with most of the criticisms that I have seen on a variety of forums about how the game plays out.

It's a fantastic engine - the most technically advanced game I have played.

It's a good game, but it's not a great game due to its (many) flaws. Most of the flaws are quite minor and a lot of them are a matter of taste, but there are enough of them to detract from my enjoyment of the game.

I rate a game first and formost on how much fun I have playing it and Doom3, unfortunately, has quite a few games in front of it in my list of games I enjoyed playing (Doom1 being waaay ahead of it BTW :-) ).

Expectations can sell one short in the long run. Don't have them, and surpise will return to you. Disappointment will become a thing of the past.

Perception is that in the eye and mind of the perciever. What I may think is in hell might not be what you think is in hell, or what another may think may be in hell. I don't know to many people that would care to take a long vacation in hell. To one theory, there are 7 planes of heaven, and 9 planes of hell. You were on plane number ? Obviously, not one that had the maggots. So, you see, its all in our perception of what we think is right. What we think is right, might not neccessarily be right. So then, everyone is right, or wrong, or a little bit of both. Don't expect to have your cake, and eat it to. When you do get to eat the cake, then it was a nice suprise. Things are so simple in this life, and all we do is complicate them when we start to "think" or "React". You can't think your way in to right acting, but you can Act your way into right thinking.

I say it was a well spent 42 bucks. This is only the begining.
Peace to you all.

Zoost said:

But I do feel like the friend of the author of this reviewthat, to mee, says it all.

I just read the review. Jesus Christ, those two are poster childs for old, jaded gamers. They don't have anyone to blame but themselves for getting overexcited about it and expecting too much. Doom 3 is a good game in it's own right .. while the gameplay isn't perfect, it certainly doesn't suck. The only thing I agreed with is that it needed more levels in hell.

They should quit gaming for a few months and get back into it with a clean slate. It works, trust me :P

I got the game on the day it came out in the UK, and im only up to the alpha labs. Thats because i've spent all my time mapping and barely any time playing. I've liked it so far, dont think it's that repetetive (though i did rack up 60 offline hrs on Phantasy Star Online, a game which my friend can only play for an hour or so without saying "im bored, this is so repetetive!") My only quibbles are the crappy shotgun (i miss killing imps at 60 paces), the imps in general (the way they teleport behind you and their annoying melee attacks) and the way enemies seen to feel no pain, i can fill an imp with half a shell's worth of lead from a meter away and it dosent even bat an eyelid.

Quoting from SomethingAwful.com :

Sure you know that your health is being gnawed away by a plastic spider of some sort, but you are unable to locate the exact position of this spider due to the fact that the lights are all out and every time it hits you, your character spastically flings his head 180 degrees backwards like a retarded child after licking a tazer.

pritch said:

Heh I stayed away from this forum largely for two years because I couldn't be bothered to argue about something I didn't have yet PLUS I know from experience that if you get haevily involved in something it always seems to be a disappointment when it's finally over. Part of that is the not wondering/debating what will be there anymore.

I think too many people watched every trailer, viewed every screenshot and read all the interviews and anything that came out before getting the game. I did my best to avoid as much of the media-hyped visual material as I could and I'm glad because I'm totally enjoying the game. So I would say the catch is better than the hunt. It would be even better if a guy could keep away from all the prereleased material before games release. That would rule. The only thing I really wanted to know before getting Doom 3 was the fact that they were making it.... plus a couple screenies. ;) Everything else after that is just spoilerware.

i didnt fallow doom III that much. nor did i listen to game mags and sites, like i do anyways. so i could not get over hyped about the game. however i was very pleased with the results. even some things i wasnt expecting