Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naitguolf

Betruger [Spoilers]

I think he was possessed from the start. I mean, he lead the research to make the teleporter (to hell), he went into the teleporter alone, and then he DID make that statement "Amazing things are going to happen here, you just wait." This could possibly imply that he knew what was going to happen.

Naitguolf said:

or when we knew his time was running out, he needed to made his "stuff" fast.

That's what I thought. He knew that the Council & UAC Presidents would soon get involved and find out what they were doing and shut them down. So the only hope he had to save his research, was to hand his soul over to Hell.

Maybe he's a cool, hip, but misguided devil-worshiping old fogie who's into retro (antique 20th century) music like AC/DC and Black Sabbath obsessed with meeting the devil or something.

S1lent said:

I think he was possessed from the start. I mean, he lead the research to make the teleporter (to hell), he went into the teleporter alone, and then he DID make that statement "Amazing things are going to happen here, you just wait." This could possibly imply that he knew what was going to happen.

The video disk given to you by the scientist in the Delta Labs suggests something different. It was said on the recording that Betruger entered the portal by himself, but upon returning, he didn't seem like himself. This would suggest he was just a normal scientist before he made the journey, and one can then speculate he was possessed by the demons for the knowledge he had. The demons needed the teleporters to reach the mortal plane, so it would be unlikely for him to be a demon in disguise before the teleporters were developed. Instead, they used him to push the research even further and finally to steal the soul cube, taking it deep into Hell to protect it from their enemies.

That's my take on it... of course, being so open-ended, you could make many different speculations. Maybe the real Betruger was killed in Hell and replaced with the demon you see at the end of the game, when he wasn't revealing his demon form. Meh, enough nerdism for me.

nerd mode on:
He's the embodiment of human evil and all that's bad about humanity. Kinda like hell itself. The ultimate antagonist. Even his name hints at evil and deception. Betruger - Betrayer.

With that in mind, do you think he stepped into the teleporter with the intention of seeing an ancient civilization? Or seeing the gates of hell? His charachter suggests the latter.

nerd mode off: :)

chances are the guy was a little evil and obsessed with his work. then when he went to hell, hell added the final push to make him totaly evil.
however being a game i dont think too much about it. he is just a bad guy for the sake of being a bad guy. end the end he gets his place in hell.

Yeah and he will suffer eternal torment in hell for his failure (ack..). maybe? *shrug*

Vile said:

The video disk given to you by the scientist in the Delta Labs suggests something different. It was said on the recording that Betruger entered the portal by himself, but upon returning, he didn't seem like himself. This would suggest he was just a normal scientist before he made the journey, and one can then speculate he was possessed by the demons for the knowledge he had. The demons needed the teleporters to reach the mortal plane, so it would be unlikely for him to be a demon in disguise before the teleporters were developed. Instead, they used him to push the research even further and finally to steal the soul cube, taking it deep into Hell to protect it from their enemies.

That's my take on it... of course, being so open-ended, you could make many different speculations. Maybe the real Betruger was killed in Hell and replaced with the demon you see at the end of the game, when he wasn't revealing his demon form. Meh, enough nerdism for me.

But, what motive would he have for going into the portal by himself? It doesn't make sense unless he knew what was on the other side and had a motive.