Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EdVanHalen

Excellent Work

Just got done with the game. What can I say?

First:
You guys did a great job! I was using my Sony headphones that just totally rock, and there were several moments I had to go and change underwear. The spawning from behind was just right on time everytime. Those who say they didn't get freaked a time or two, just didn't have the right set up, or were in God mode. (I think they lied really) I used the Veteran setting to start off, and it was intense the whole way. The graphics are just to sweet! I'm runnin an ATI Radeon 9700 cranked, on a 22" CRT, all pushed by a PIV 3.06 with a Gig O' Ram. Its been a long time since I've gotten into a game this much, (Duke Nukem, then Half Life were the last to compare for me). I'm glad you guys decided to do a single player theme with this one. Quake II & III were kewl, don't get me wrong. Its just amazing how far technology has come in that short period of time. The headphones I'm using ran 125 smackers, and I'm here to tell you, that really made the difference. When the ol lady would leave, I'd crank on the 500 watt surround sound and keep the neighbors at bay. The blew the Bose phones right out of the water. For those who may be complaining about sound issues, chances are your running an *cough* Athalon chip. Complain to your motherboard manufacturer instead. They just haven't quite gotten Direct X 9 down pat yet.

Second:
The guys who did the art work, and design HAVE to be WARPED beyond imagination. I mean, its like, you were there..... Still, my hats off to you, just amazing work. In Half Life, my wife HATED the crow bar. THANK YOU for the Chainsaw! Hehehe. I managed to get her to look just at the right time, and AWWWWWW YEAAAAAA.

Third:
Until I can do better, I promise not to complain about any part of the game, true talent at work there. Its amazing how many newbs on this forum are all of a sudden professional game designers. At least there is one here who appreciates your hard work, gift of art, programming, and design. Guess thats why you make the big bucks Eh? :)
Looking forward to your next release, whatever game it may be. Now, off to QERadiant, and time for some mappin Doom 3 style.

EdVanHalen said:

At least there is one here who appreciates your hard work, gift of art, programming, and design.

There are more here who do, I can assure you. ;)

Heh this is an unnofficial Doom3 site, the developers aren't regulars but I'm sure they would thank you for your comments :D BTW, this i an extremely stupid question and I bet the answer is no, but are you really Eddie Van Halen? Because that would be cool :D

In Half Life, my wife HATED the crow bar. THANK YOU for the Chainsaw! Hehehe. I managed to get her to look just at the right time, and AWWWWWW YEAAAAAA.

lol, no thats not really him. Ed and Valerie are divorced.

I appreciate the game. Sure there are a few things I would like to have been changed but then again, so does everyone else whenever they buy a game.

Overall I like D3 and I would definitely recommend it.

Yeah Doom 3's gotta be the single best game Id has made since Doom 1 (yes, I think it's better than Doom 2, shoot me).

I never imagined being scared in a game could be this cool (classic Doom never did scare me really, except for the Cybie), but Doom 3 certainly did scare me a lot on my first trip through and there are moments that still scare me.

Also, the addition of rag-doll physics and per-polygon hit detection was a really awesome thing to have in the game. Makes the combat feel great (although I must admit I'm disappointed about the shotgun being so extreme close-range oriented - adding just a slight bit more range would've sufficed imo) and the fact that the demons burn away so quickly after getting nailed).
The chaingun is evidently the best fucking chaingun I've tried in ages. Gunning down tentacle commandos with it really gives me an "oomphh" feel that can best be described as "comparable to the original Doom shotgun's "oomphh" feel" - there was this one situation in one of the Alpha Labs levels where I just activated some console. The door opened up and a tentacle guy rushed in. I happened to have the chaingun equipped and I just whipped around and let loose. The tentacle guy just bent over and was literally thrown backwards from the force of the many bullets pounding into him, reminding me of the good ol' days when I blasted imps with the shotgun :-]
But the other guns are great too, and that's in no small part due to the great sounds and reload animations.

I could write a whole essay on why Doom 3's a great game, but it's a bit hard to fit everything in one single post without making it too long or without forgetting important aspects, so I'll leave it at that.

Oh and when you see me complain about things in Doom 3, it's not a sign that I don't like Doom 3, rather it's expressing my regret over things that could've brought Doom 3 even closer to "perfection" - it's similar to when I would complain about the lack of spin-up time and slow firing rate of the classic Doom chaingun. Nothing is perfect, nothing is 100% like we want it to be, but that doesn't mean we don't think it's great.

So go forth marines and kick demon ass :-P

dsm said:

Yeah Doom 3's gotta be the single best game Id has made since Doom 1 (yes, I think it's better than Doom 2, shoot me).

Oh and when you see me complain about things in Doom 3, it's not a sign that I don't like Doom 3, rather it's expressing my regret over things that could've brought Doom 3 even closer to "perfection"

Bang.

But anyway, I think that Doom (as in 1 and 2) reached a higher sort of perfection or closer proximity toward it, when the modding community made source ports. I trust wholly in the mod community to tweak the game and fill in any gaps that I, or they, perceive, thereby making it an even more fulfilling playing experience than initially believed.

dsm said:

(although I must admit I'm disappointed about the shotgun being so extreme close-range oriented - adding just a slight bit more range would've sufficed imo)

Hey dsm, I like the way you put your "shotgun moaning" in so many posts and hail Doom 3 at the same time.
Nevermind ;)

Heh,
No, just a huge fan. I do play everything he's ever written, and have been in a VanHalen tribute band that traveled the south eastern circuit. I have met Edward on a few occasions, and he's a really kewl dude. Just love em to death :)

As for the shotgun, loved it to. Gave me the chance to get right up on those dudes and blow their face clean off their neck. I love the demons that disappear, and run, then re-appear only to find me there standing with the barrel of a shotgun staring them right in the face. Once I hit the wrong bind and met them with a BFG by accident. Needless to say, that was interesting. :)

I just haven't been able to find anything to complain about as for the game really. I've had alot of fun with it, and hope to find you guys on a server somewhere soon and get hosed a time or two :).