Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

Something VERY strange in Doom...

Once, a while ago, I was making a map. You know how when you make a map, you make a bit of it, then you go and check it out, then you go back to the editor and change things and stuff, well once I made something- it was a door, which opened to a little room (i was to change the little room later on, but it was there just to see if the door worked right) and I went to check it out. So i went into doom, got to the door, opened it, and WHOA!!!!! It was seriously like a whole field of stars!!! It was sooo deep and enormous!! I kid you not!!! It was something i never EVER saw in Doom. I was amazed Doom could create something like this!!! I never saw it since. Its like when people see UFOs, its like a rare spectacle hardly anyone ever sees, you see once, and then thats it.

It was weird and great. Anyone seen this?!?!?

i've had occurences like that before, when my map messed up and a huge wide open field opened up from nowhere, not stars but with other textures, did the room or the door have any star textures anywhere in them?

Dron said:

i've had occurences like that before, when my map messed up and a huge wide open field opened up from nowhere, not stars but with other textures, did the room or the door have any star textures anywhere in them?

No, there were NO star textures at all. Its the alien sightings of the Doom world. Like a new urban legend happening here.

"The Legend of The Doom Star Fields" Expect to see it on Fortean Times soon, with Bob Lazar claiming to have worked on them in a top secret facility or something.

heh, weird. sometimes when i make a door and it messes up somehow a giant, wide-open, room appears with the same upper and lower textures as the room next to it (obviously the door) AND it seems to happen more frequently, my maps start to mysteriously mess up, like when i run them in doombuilder's 3d mode walls appear transparent and black. and when i run them textures and even whole sectors are gone while new stuff appears in there. freaky stuff o_O

EDIT: do you have screenshots?

Dron said:

EDIT: do you have screenshots?

No. Damn i wish i did! Well i guess you just have to go by my crazy, rambling story.

gatewatcher said:

This is almost as dumb as people seeing "ghosts" in Doom3.

Maybe there are ghosts in Doom3 (put in there on purpose offcourse). Thats really interesting actually, having ghosts randomly rarely appear in places. Thats mad!

Foofoo said:

No. Damn i wish i did! Well i guess you just have to go by my crazy, rambling story.

well, can you email me the map?

Dron said:

well, can you email me the map?

No, it never came back. I went to the part, saw the wonder once, and I never saw it again. Plus, I saw it in the middle of making a map, so the map would be all finished and cleaned up by now (i think it was one of the maps in Equinox.wad)

well, call me crazy but i've just seen that particular starfield as well (i made a map like that), in fact i have screenshots so if you people don't believe me i can show them to you!

Dron said:

well, call me crazy but i've just seen that particular starfield as well (i made a map like that), in fact i have screenshots so if you people don't believe me i can show them to you!

I have seen the images! Its real i tell you! My ramblings will be heard and listened to!!

Foofoo said:

I have seen the images! Its real i tell you! My ramblings will be heard and listened to!!

im really interested in what's causing that, i have not put any textures in ANY part of the map that have any colors like those that make up the field.

Okay, me and Dron are freaked out and don't know whats happening- we need other people to study this phenomena with us.

Foofoo said:

Okay, me and Dron are freaked out and don't know whats happening- we need other people to study this phenomena with us.

i think it might have something to do with the door texture..... i dunno alot of my maps have screwed up lately, but never have i seen such things like giant wide-open 3d looking starfields out of nowhere! well, at least we know what doom's void really looks like :P

Pics? Email em to me and I'll host them if you want

Foofoo said:

No, it never came back. I went to the part, saw the wonder once, and I never saw it again. Plus, I saw it in the middle of making a map, so the map would be all finished and cleaned up by now (i think it was one of the maps in Equinox.wad)

Didn't equinox have a starry sky?

hmm... one of the equinox wall textures is a starfield and yes, the second sky is a starry sky with planets. foofoo, do you by any chance remember exactly which map this happened in?

there are a number of odd effects in the doom engine caused by bugs. so its nothing really exciting or new. simply an error.

one of the more strange errors is the madusse effect. i dont know the exact wording. what happens is you just see a bunch of verticl colored lines, then your framerate drops to like 2 FPS until it is out of your sight. it didnt matter if you where running on a 386 or a pentium II. as far as i know it only exsisted in the DOS version of the game

gatewatcher said:

This is almost as dumb as people seeing "ghosts" in Doom3.

You did see that one video with the "eyes" right? Not a ghost...but still. I never noticed that stuff when I played through

Sephiroth said:

there are a number of odd effects in the doom engine caused by bugs. so its nothing really exciting or new. simply an error.

one of the more strange errors is the madusse effect. i dont know the exact wording. what happens is you just see a bunch of verticl colored lines, then your framerate drops to like 2 FPS until it is out of your sight. it didnt matter if you where running on a 386 or a pentium II. as far as i know it only exsisted in the DOS version of the game

Heh nope thats still around. It's if you use a texture that has transparency but there is nothing but void around it. I have a Pentium 4 and the framerate still drops to what I assume to be 2. It's because the engine is fucking itself over trying to figure out what to draw, using up the processer power. I know it exists on Doom95 also

yeah the medusa effect is still around, i was playing a map and ran into it, my framerate curled up and died instantly.

Sephiroth said:

wasnt it removed on modern ports??

no, it's not an engine glitch like slimetrails, but a mistake a wad-author might make

indeed now i have a question about something strange in doom, occasionally (usually a former human or sergeant) will get an attitude with the wall and start blasting away at the wall, anyone else ever see this? if so tell me what causes this bizzare behaviour

Infinite Ammunition said:

Think you could upload this wad?

i can't upload a 2 sector wad to the /idgames database and i have no place to host it, so no

Take one Foofoo. A single nerd living with his parents in, who taking an interest in editing levels of the 1993 classic video game ‘Doom’. While innocently tampering with a sectors and lindefs, unbeknown to him, he has opened an porthole to another dimension. Impossible, any ware, but the twilight zone:

Doo-doo-doo-doo Doo-doo-doo-doo Doo-doo-doo-doo

Captain Red said:

Take one Foofoo. A single nerd living with his parents in, who taking an interest in editing levels of the 1993 classic video game ‘Doom’. While innocently tampering with a sectors and lindefs, unbeknown to him, he has opened an porthole to another dimension. Impossible, any ware, but the twilight zone:

Doo-doo-doo-doo Doo-doo-doo-doo Doo-doo-doo-doo

HEHEEHE LOL!!! thats quite spot on actually. I AM a single nerd living with my parents.