Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mlin

What exactly is Strafe50?

I know enables the player to run extremely fast, but that's about it.

How is it executed? The only method I know used to boost speed is holding the Shift key.

EDIT: strafe50 is strafing while holding down the key to either strafe right or to strafe left while also holding down the "strafe-on" key. i thought you were asking how to strafe, heh my bad

See my post here, and scroll up a few posts for more information too.

In a nutshell, it is: run + move forward/backward + strafe on + strafe right(left) + turn right(left).

It's worth emphasizing that strafe-50 is not a cheat; it is just the automation of it that is a cheat.

Strafe50 is a TSR for Doom2.exe that allows the player to run at increased speed by strafing and running at the same time, which the Doom Community has grown accustomed to calling "Strafe-Running". This technique is used widely in many Speedruns and Quick Demos in combination with the "Wall-Running" technique to shave off those few precious seconds. This can also be used to get out of a tight squeeze in certain areas, such as being cornered by Demons, and the only exit is a slimepit with no exit, and a window is just out of your reach when you run straight.

Darkhaven: That is not at all true, and I've no idea where you might have got that (mis)information from. There is no need for any TSR program - straferunning is just a part of the game. Standard run+strafe is strafe-40.

Well, not really a TSR, I meant- more or less- a configuration file that changes the player's turbo while straferunning, or something like that.

No, that's not true. It's something that can be achieved with a straight-out-of-the-box copy of Doom(2). No special set-up or add-ons. Please read the page Ling linked to.

Autorun can be automated (so no need to press Shift) via the cfg file (joyb_speed 29). Maybe you're thinking of that.