Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Master Cilander

Doom is educational.

When I first played Doom, I was pretty young. I don't remember, I was like 8 or 9. I am 15 now, so I guess I can figure what year I first I played it from that. Oh, so it was around 1996. Okay anyways, it taught me two words. It taught me anomaly, and consume. Well, I guess when people say Doom is mindless shooting, they don't know how educational it can be. I was already pretty good at reading, but for some reason, reading that text after beating Phobos Anomaly was always tough.

LOL!
When I first played DOOM as a 9-year-old it taught me waaay more words than that.
Here's the list of my back-then new vocabulary:
1.)Baron
2.)Berserk
3.)Cumbersome
4.)Hangar
5.)Inferno
6.)Invincible/Invulnerable
7.)Mastermind
8.)Pandemonium
9.)Plasma
10.)Refinery

There's probably a whole lot more words that I can't list at the top of my head right now.

Doom taught me I didn't have to pray to Jesus to save me from demons but that I could gun them down myself.
:-)

m0l0t0v said:

Doom taught me I didn't have to pray to Jesus to save me from demons but that I could gun them down myself.

So....Basically you're trying to say that DOOM taught you to be an aetheist, right?

m0l0t0v said:

i want THAT in my signature. May i use it?

To me, i learned the meaning of DooM.

Compared to a game like DUKE3D, DOOM is quite a positive learning experience, which teaches you lots of useful scientific & industrial vocabulary.
All that DUKE3D ever taught little kids is how to swear and curse.
Nonetheless, I still like both games in their own separate ways.

For some people, Doom can also teach simple logic and memory skills (ie. where did that blue key door go?), hand-eye coordination (keep an eye on the screen while you strafe an imp), and it also helps with reflexes (like dodging fireballs). I learned a few words from it as well, just like everybody else.

Doom taught me a couple words, like chainsaw, imp, suburbs, tenements, condo and such. I just wanted to know the meaning of the words, so I guess it is somewhat educational..

It Taught me that if i found helmets on the ground that I was more scratch resistent!(to imps are least)
sorry could not help it! :D
Yeah Doom Used big words...
my fav was slough of Despair! :D
spelling is wrong but thats ok!

Thanks to Doom, I learned that I could hit someone on top of a building by pointing straight in front of me and shooting. Thanks Doom.

m0l0t0v said:

Immediate Classic Quote(tm).

I don't recall having learned any particular new words from Doom, but I did encounter some new ones in Heretic and Hexen:

Apostate
Catafalque
Ossuary
Demesne
Contrition
Quietus
Heresiarch
Crucible

It also taught me the slight difference between invincibilitity and invisibility can be big in some circumstances.

Doom didn't teach me anything really. Civilization, on the other hand taught me more stuff than I've learned in any one class in school. It is also what drove me to my love of history and culture.

Doom taught me how to operate firearms with professional efficiency; I then used my skills acquired by this archaic game to kill a classroom full of people. But remember! “Don’t sue me, sue I.D.”

Doom taught me new words too. Too many to list. I'm also too lazy to list. ;P

Despite anything that anyone says, Serious Sam is quite educational, going into the history of the Egyptians, Babylonians, Aztecs, while you pick off giant hordes of monsters. :P

Black Hand said:

Doom taught me how to operate firearms with professional efficiency; I then used my skills acquired by this archaic game to kill a classroom full of people. But remember! “Don’t sue me, sue I.D.”

I knew someone was going to joke about this sooner or later...

Draconio said:

I knew someone was going to joke about this sooner or later...

You must have a very loose definition of "joke". I'd say it would be better described as "unfunney".