Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Airman266

burnout issue

I finally got D3, and for the half hour I played it, it was awesome. Then my computer shut off. Upon close examination, after taking it apart, I found a short in my motherboard, which was brand new (had been running my computer for only 3 days). I think it was just a defective board, but I wanted to see if anyone here has any ideas. My sys specs are:

3.2 gig P4 HT Pescott running on an Asus P4P800 SE w/ over a gig of DDR, 120 gig WD HD, Radeon 9800 Pro, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. 400watts powering it all.

I don't see any compatibility issues with my current system. My old mobo, the one I burnt out, was a AOpen AX4SG Max II. I don't like AOpen boards, I dunno why I bought it, but I don't see why it burnt out. I'm afraid to turn it back on yet because I don't want it to burn my current system. Any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe it was cooling, but at the time i was running the cpu fan, the power fan, and 1 chassis fan... I thought that would be enough. I'm not really sure, I don't know much about that sort of thing. Do I really need a 4th fan?

BlackFish said:

Maybe buy another fan? You get get one off of newegg for 5 bucks.

I think he may want to spend a little more than $5 for a fan.

U can go into the bios and check the temp of your computer and the processor. The CPU should be around mid 40's and the system shout be around 20-30. If they are unusually high then you need another fan and not one of this shitty 5$ ones that dont do crap. I have this big ass fan in my computer that plugs into the wall and it cool extremely well.

Anyway if its not the temp it may be the power supply but i doubt it. ITt's probably jsut a defective board. Asus has a 3 year warrenty and the store u bought it from will have at least a 30day to a year warrenty.

And is your ram dual channel becasue it u are using dual channel 256x2 and a 512 stick it wound be stable and the comp will turn off after 15-20 minutes.

RAM doesn't have to be dual-channel per se, you just need to have an even number of sticks and pairs that are similar enough to run in dual channel mode. Usually if you're running 3 sticks of memory, dual channel is deactivated automatically by the chipset/motherboard.

You can't run 2 sticks of dual channel and 1 stick of single channel together. YOur computer will be unstable. I just had this problem when i tries to add single channel 512 to my dual channel 256's.

There is no such thing as a dual-channel RAM stick. What you need for dual-channel operation are two sticks that are identical. If you just run one, you are running in single channel mode. If you run two sticks that aren't similar enough (i.e. if they are different sizes or can't run at the same speed), then you're still running in single channel mode. If you indeed have two identical modules, your memory controller will turn on dual-channel mode.

Adding a third stick to the mix will cause you to run in single channel mode again, because you can't run an odd number of modules in dual-channel. If you're having stability problems when doing so, it's probably the fault of YOUR motherboard or chipset, not all of them in general.

for all you heat realted isues use the vantec tornado, but you will be blown away. these are great for putting on a heatsink (80mm heatsink).

all i know about dual channel,
must be in pairs of similar modules

if your board had a short, like a screw touched contacts, they i would say it is shot. I have done it too. Once i was setting up a 600Mhz system and had it layed out on a box, however there was a hole on the box. i sat it ontop of the tower, it made contact with metal and fryed the mainboard. good thing the CPU and memmory was still good.

Okay, could you please explain what board is shorted out? Was it the AX4SG? Shorts are usually caused by either direct physical contact to the chassis/other metal components or by defective circuitry in the board itself. If the board is defective you should be able to get it replaced under warranty.