Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom2day

Cyberdemon Vrs The big Spider

If you were in an open area with a cyberdemon, you could be able to dodge his rockets, if your fast enough. But, I dont think you would escape the spider mastermind's chaingun. If there was stuff you could hide behind, then i'd tip my favors toward the cyberdemon. It depends on the environment...

Stealthy Ivan said:

Hmm, really?? I would like to see this happen...

I've seen it happen while playing alien vendetta. The imp just got into melee with the spider and it couldn't do shit. It took well over a minute for the imp to scratch it to death.

Dear god. It's the fourth (or so) time I see a thread like this. Why not to ask who would win: 1000 zombies or an Arch-Vile? 2000 zombies or 2 Arch-Viles? 3000 zombies or...

//transmission jammed

Relica Religia said:

Fastmonster? No, that just changes the moving speed or the enemies.

It also affects the speed of monster projectiles(sans Cyber's rockets) and the frequency at which they throw them. It also affects how fast the Demon bites. Bloody Hell! A group of those things will chew you up in seconds!

Geez, I thought I'd seen the last of this thread a couple weeks ago...

I am not very good at fighting Spiders, because of their hitscan attack. With Cybs, it's at least possible to dodge the rockets.

Relica Religia said:

Fastmonster? No, that just changes the moving speed or the enemies.

-fast increases movement speed, attack frequency, projectile speed, and reaction speed (is set to 0 I believe). So although the SM wont fire any faster, it will open fire the instant it sees you.

Actually, it doesn't increase movement speed (except for demons and spectres). Erik provided some info here. In fact, fast monsters often move less, because they are so busy firing (so if they have parked their ass over something you need to get to, you might need to duck behind some cover just to get them to take a step or two). [As an aside, with revenants you also have the option of getting close enough to them that they advance towards you to try to punch rather than firing their rockets - that special bit of code still works with -fast. I exploited this in my NM Pacifist demo on Build.wad, for instance.]

Yes, reaction time is set to zero. Normal (non-fast) monsters have a reaction time that is similar to a typical human reaction time (8 gametics - roughly 0.23 seconds). That's why good map knowledge is especially valuable if you want to play aggressively vs fast monsters - knowing where the monsters are cancels out their superhuman reactions. That's also why Nightmare is so hard - you've often no way of knowing where the monsters will be, and they'll normally get their shot in well before you've had time to react to their presence.

If you save a -fast game, and load it up again in a regular game, the monsters will still have faster projectiles or movement, but their reaction time is normal again. I prefer this "semi-fast" game mode, because I like the challenge of faster monsters, but I don't like the way they just stand still while firing in -fast mode. IMO, it makes the monsters even more predictable.

This feature works only in vanilla DOOM, I believe.

Cyberdemons are the best at making my pants brown. They still scare the shit outta me if I run into one whilst playing a serious game.

Try playing fast monsters with cyberdemons and see yourself dying bout 10++ times trying to kill them.
(Map32 Plutonia is the best place to do this)

XXoXX- There is a good chance that I have never beaten ol' Cybie on fast monsters.

Anyway I think that the Spider is the hardest bad guy just because it is harder to beat him on a even, completly neutral playing field.

POTGIESSER said:

I've seen it happen while playing alien vendetta. The imp just got into melee with the spider and it couldn't do shit. It took well over a minute for the imp to scratch it to death.

lol, that is so badass

In my opinion it totally depends on the area I'm in.
Of course the Cyb is more scary with his "MOOO!" but it's really dependant on the surrounding landscape. I killed Cybies with the SSG without taking a hit. In wide, open areas where I could run like crazy in circles around him. A spider would kill me - slowly but surely - in an open space. No way to dodge the autofire bullets. If you have some places to hide behind and close to the spider - no problem. Small, cramped areas with Cyb: bad idea.

The cyberdemon is harder, even in open areas. You usually have enough ammo to kill a spiderdemon easly, the cybers can cause you more trouble (look at Plutonia map 32, the room with a spider and a cyber). The spiders usually get in fight with other monsters and take a lot of time to finish, while the cyber if he get fighting with other monster he can kill it in a few seconds and get back to you.

Even if you can dodge the rockets, a cyberdemon can cause you more troubles than a spider.

I like the spiders, but the cyber is stronger.
The reason because we still defend the spider in the match against the cyber is because it was supposed to be deadlier in the first game.

IMO Spiderdemons are harder. You can dodge Cyb's Rockets, but You can't dodge Spider's bullets-You ain't in Matrix, You can't dodge bullets. I can defeat a Cyber with a Super Shotgun easily with circle-strafing them, but if I try this jobby with the spider bullets rip my flesh. Not recomended.

SpiderDemons are a piece of cake if you have a BFG. You can remain stationary and get two direct shots and their toast, and still have at least 30 health. Cyber Demons take at least 4 or 5 shots, and in cramped spaces it can be hard using the BFG on it effectively.

I'VE seen 1 too many cyber and spider battles and everytime I get two out comes
A. the spider unloads more ammo than in Iraq on the Cybie while the cyber slowly pumps away rockets next thing ya know the spider falls and usually I could pump a single rocket to finish the spider.

B. both killed each other at the same time or other monsters gang up on one of the two.

SURE THIS NEXT PART BELONGS IN THE DOOM3 PART BUT I DONT CARE

go to the test map box spawn a cybie and a vagary and see.

FUNNY SCREEN SHOT S ILL POST SOON

A got a pic
I spawned a cyberdemon at the mars city reception off i got a pic of the guy on his computer the doommarine standing by and a cyberdemon just barely fit in the room ready to shot a rocket point blank.
CUSTOMS ANYONE?

Once i learn to post funny pics from old and new doom will be up

MY OPINION CYBERDEMON RULES

SOMEONE SAID ALL DOOM MONSTERS HAVE BAD AI.
yes this is why they created doom 3
and or regular doom with nightmare more
lost of dumb monsters
never under estimate the power of stupid people and monsters in large number

Alt Control Delete said:

SURE THIS NEXT PART BELONGS IN THE DOOM3 PART BUT I DONT CARE

go to the test map box spawn a cybie and a vagary and see.

FUNNY SCREEN SHOT S ILL POST SOON

A got a pic
I spawned a cyberdemon at the mars city reception off i got a pic of the guy on his computer the doommarine standing by and a cyberdemon just barely fit in the room ready to shot a rocket point blank.
CUSTOMS ANYONE?

Once i learn to post funny pics from old and new doom will be up

MY OPINION CYBERDEMON RULES

SOMEONE SAID ALL DOOM MONSTERS HAVE BAD AI.
yes this is why they created doom 3
and or regular doom with nightmare more
lost of dumb monsters
never under estimate the power of stupid people and monsters in large number

Jeez, stay at the Doom 3 Forum, this is the Classic Doom Forum idiot.

Another question:
Did anyone try Legacy's predicting monsters option? The Cyb is really badass with that on.

I didn't even know that option was available. I just play the game with cd audio...

Anyway, my vote's on the Cyberdemon because A - he has hte most health - B - splash damage is a bitch - and C - he's immune to his own rocket-splash, from what I've gathered. At least in Vanilla Doom.

The splash damage for Rockets & Barrels does not affect the Spiderdemon either.

The spider has a secret weapon, it can actually shoot lumps of shit out its ass rapid-fire like the chaingun it carries on the front. To see it, get 500,000,000,000 points in the turkey puncher game in Doom 3.

nope. Actually, on observation: The Spider Mastermind is more powerful with the EDGE source port because his attack is the exact same as the shotgun sergeants - 3 hits per shot.

Uh... so what engine does NOT give its attack the same code pointer that applies to the Shotgun Guy's?

Alientank said:

The spider has a secret weapon, it can actually shoot lumps of shit out its ass rapid-fire like the chaingun it carries on the front. To see it, get 500,000,000,000 points in the turkey puncher game in Doom 3.

you liar, thanks for wasting my halloween

Relica Religia said:

Geeze, we just can't let this thing die, can we?

I believe we can.