Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dco16

Rotten level

I'm making sort of a ROTT tribute level. Why? I don't know. I just felt like doing it.

Screens:

All rooms are 256 pixels high and I plan to put an obscene number of secret areas in, truly making it in the ROTTen style.

Not bad.
Quite original if You ask me.
B sure to include some ROTT tune. Looking forward.

The only thing about this that doesn't look very ROTT-like, is the lighting. If I remember correctly, ROTT was quite a bit darker. Try dimming it down just a bit. Other than that, it looks quite ROTTish.

I'll try to darken it.

Also, I have included an ROTT tune already. It's RUNLIKE.MID (Run like Smeg) which is my fav.

If you make it Zdoom specific you might also include some ROTT-style "crushing columns" racing about at unsafe speeds.

Oh yeah, and walls shooting fireballs.

You also need to make it uglier. Really really ugly, then it'll be just like ROTT. Throw in some disgusting purpleish, grey colors, and maybe some puke brown, and you've got ROTT right there

Cool. At least you don't need to be much worried about the overall quality, because it can't possibly be any worse than the original ROTT. Oh man, did that game suck!

Caco-Puff said:

I remember playing it a year or so again,Didnt seem that bad.What was wrong?

The reason for Rott's comparitive unpopularity at release was that it was released shortly after Doom 2, with a far inferior (modified Wolf3d) engine.

Nowadays, it has a small cult following.

*sigh* Some psycho should try and do a Wolfendoom-style ROTTdoom megawad.

EDIT: And stoned just can't appreciate a good game. :)

Trasher][ said:
EDIT: And stoned just can't appreciate a good game. :)

Actually i can. Wolf3D is still great. ;)

Combustable said:

You also need to make it uglier. Really really ugly, then it'll be just like ROTT. Throw in some disgusting purpleish, grey colors, and maybe some puke brown, and you've got ROTT right there

Yeah, and I'll have to put in all the bitchin' weapons and 10+ player MP too.

Trasher][ said:
with a far inferior (modified Wolf3d) engine.

Whoa, modified Wolf3D engine? Fucking wow. It's really amazing what you can do with such an old engine. I mean, come on- true 3D in Wolf3D?! That is fucking amazing. I always thought it was Doom, since if you modified the main wad and cleaned up, you get an error saying it's an invalid IWAD.

Darkhaven said:

Whoa, modified Wolf3D engine? Fucking wow. It's really amazing what you can do with such an old engine. I mean, come on- true 3D in Wolf3D?! That is fucking amazing. I always thought it was Doom, since if you modified the main wad and cleaned up, you get an error saying it's an invalid IWAD.

ROTT doesn't have anything close to true-3d. Hell, ROTT doesn't even have variable floor heights. Just randomly placed sprites with different heights you could walk on. You never noticed that all of the maps were the same height and had no curves at all?

Oh, I noticed that, but it does have the "3D-Sprite" thing, and I also thought it had at least something very close to true-3d, since it had tile over tile, moving pillars, bridge objects you could see under and above, etc.

I know what you're talking about, though. It is odd that you could have "3D sprites", but no variable floor heights...