Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

"Exquisite corpse" community WAD

OMG DONE http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=12834

"Exquisite corpse" is the title for an old surrealistic style of making sentences by having people add words without knowing what came before. Anyway...

I've had an idea for a community WAD like this for a while and now is as good a time as any to try and do it.

Basically the idea is that we get a bunch of people who want to contribute. Each contributor will get a big square section of the level, which will be square or rectangular depending on how many people we get.

So what happens is each person is given a 1024x1024 space to make a part of a level. The first person (1) makes a 1024x1024 area, and since his portion is in the top corner, the right and bottom sides will just sort of terminate in a bare wall or something, like cut off in the middle of a hallway or whatever.

Then the moderator (me or whoever) takes section 1 and passes it along to 2 and 4. The trick is that I only slice off, say, 64 units along the edge and pass that small margin along, so the next person has a small idea of what the last person was doing in terms of sector height, light level, flats, etc etc but doesn't exactly know what the theme was, so he makes up his own theme instead.

Then once 2 and 4 have made their 1024x1024 squares, I do the same thing and pass along margins to 3, 5, and 7, then once they're done I pass it along to 6 and 8, then finally 9.

The result is a 9-part WAD where none of the 9 contributors have any idea what the entire thing looks like until it's released.

I'm thinking that since this is just for fun I'll keep it Doom2- or maybe Boom-compatible, no ZDoom crap, scripting isn't needed for something like this.

If you're interested put your name here, if I get enough people who want to participate then we'll give it a shot and see what comes out the other end.

So let's see, so far we have:

1. Linguica (DONE)
  2. Shtbag667 (DONE)
  3. Fiend (DONE)
  4. Darksoul (DONE)
  5. Cyb (DONE)
  6. Blackfish (DONE)
  7. Volteface (DONE)
  8. _5hifty (DONE)
  9. Scrum (DONE)
  10. chopkinsca (DONE)
  11. EarthQuake (DONE)
  12. boris (DONE)

I'm interested as long as its for vanilla doom.

How will we know what keys, weapons, and ammo amounts the player already will have once other sections are finished?

I am also interested. 1024 by 1024 is a pretty good space to make something that will be followed by something surprisingly different afterwards.

Shtbag667 said:

I'm interested as long as its for vanilla doom.

How will we know what keys, weapons, and ammo amounts the player already will have once other sections are finished?

Either

a) You don't know! What wackiness will result?

b) I tell each person approximate weapon loadouts/ammo counts when I send them their margins.

I'm interested in this as well.

IMO it should be Boom compatible since some people might want to have eccessive amounts or detail in their rooms.
Like me.
EDIT: Alright nvm then.

DarkSoul said:

I'm interested in this as well.

IMO it should be Boom compatible since some people might want to have eccessive amounts or detail in their rooms.
Like me.

"Doom2-compatible" meaning it doesn't use any nonstandard line tags or things, not that you have to keep the visplane counts down. I'm not sadistic.

BlackFish said:

You should of went for the ZdoomCMP2.

Anyway I'll take #5. Custom textures are okay?

I can't bring myself to read the zdoom forums any more :(

There's no point in requesting a number since the size of the thing depends on how many people want to participate.

Oh and no custom textures unless we decide on a texture WAD beforehand.

Cyb said:

I can't bring myself to read the zdoom forums any more :(

I know how you feel on that one.

Sure, I'll take a square and see what I can do.

Some sort of thinking will need to be done to decide where locked doors and keys are going, otherwise it won't turn out too well on the gameplay end.

WildWeasel said:

When I saw the title, I immediately thought of "Exquisite Dead Guy" by They Might Be Giants...

I thought of a trashy horror novel.

BlackFish said:

Fiend: send your margins to my email so I can get started.

max@tradingsystems.net (make the subject "Exquisite corpse" so I can quickly filter it outta my spams :P)

I will handle the distribution if you please