Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

whats so different

I know there is a difference in normal cd-rom and DVD but what is it. Also i want to play a DVD on my computer and i have great software but i am not sure if my cd-drive supports dvd. I understand older drives will not but i got mine last year. I Think many new drives have at least a little DVD support. Also i know a friend who wants to make a Doom movie with computer animation, for a big school project, though he and 2 others have just started they hope to be done in a year and will burn it onto a DVD for me. Also they are not the same people who are makeing another doom short film that was posted here a few weeks(days) ago

I know there is a difference in normal cd-rom and DVD but what is it.

DVDs are a totally different type of media, although the same size and shape as a CD, that's where the similarity ends. I've never really looked into DVDs but I believe they hold 7 times as much data as a regular CD.

yea i know they hold a shit load more than normal cds. however i wonder if a newer cd drive could read a dvd disk and spit out useful data that a program could use. oh well i can score a dvd drive from someone if it is too hard to rig

No a DVD has many, many times more layers inside the disc than a CD and takes a completely different laser to read... therefore, you can't just upgrade your firmware to get DVD support. Sorry.

Normal CDs hold 650mb and last I heard was that DVDs held 4.2gb. I could be mistaken though.