Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Euronymous

Doom 3. scary?

blisk said:

IM 11YEARS OLD AND I PISSED IN MY PANTS(not litterally)!!!!! I HAVE THE DEMO AND I THINK IM IN MARS CITY AFTER THE DEMON THING.but the wierd thing was when i got off i closed my eyes and i saw the cyberdemon in hell.

I hope you're kidding.

Arioch said:

Eh, the classics were scary enough back when I was a complete newbie. I was also 10, and the next best game was wolf3d, but even so, consider:

strobing lights from brightly lit to complete dark
demon sounds from all around you
not knowing how to navigate, where to go
monsters teleporting in PANIC PANIC PANIC

Yes and now you're a grown-up, have played plenty of FPS' before and probably a fair share of scary ones too.

I say again, classic Doom wasn't scary. The monsters, although cool looking, weren't nightmarish and the sounds, although perfect for the time weren't creepy.

For Doom 3, consider:

- Darkness that hides the monsters, so you never know when something jumps out at you.

- Creepy moments with strange sounds.

- Machinery sounds.

- Monsters that look far creepier than the classics.

- Flashlight that cannot be used in conjunction with guns.

- detailed corpses (not those pixelated thingies in the classics that had you guessing what exactly had happened to the corpse).

- cinematic graphics and

- Shadows that deform depending on the light sources.

- creepier soundtrack.

Overall, Doom 3 is probably scarier than the classics, but it's nothing compared to straight horror games and you probably won't find it scary if you're a grown-up who's used to scary movies and games.

Doom 3 wasn't all that scary. I will admit that there were a few times that made me jump, but it wasn't something that really scared me.

I think that ID, if they ever make another Doom or an expansion pack, should try to reconsider their "scare tactics" a little better and not make them so repetitive.

Personally, I think they could take some valuable scare lessons from the Silent Hill team.

Epyo said:

Pump up the volume!

Hey I play Doom 3 for myself, not for me AND the neighbours! :D

1 scare I had was when a fatty, normal zombie and imp came at me, that was pretty tense.
But as for the rest : jack-in-the-box, cat-out-of-the-closet type of scary, which I'm used to from watching zillions of horror movies.

your hope is useless. i saw him and i know wat i saw. its just to wieird i dont know if i have a connection with ane game(i really am 11 though)

Alright we believe you, no more please.

One thing that might hurt some of you (this isn't directed at anyone in particular but if you're doing this it's hurting you) is if you're going too fast. The game isn't meant to be played run-through-and-see-how-fast-I-can-win. You have to slow down, immerse. If you were really in this guy's situation would you be in any kind of fucking hurry? Man I'd be creeping along the wall like a mouse.

Doom 3 scary? Depends on how you define scary. I don't think it was scary, but I wasn't thinking it would be scary. It's more eerie, like if you've seen Mothman Prophecies. I don't think that movie classifies as horror, it's just a fucking eerie, skin-crawly type feeling.

If you're crawling down a ventilation shaft that's practically pitch black and you're too tense to lower your gun and replace it with your flashlight and you can barely make out a skeleton in the distance that moves with wild laughter and you hear whispers "Help me" "Over here" and that doens't disturb you at all... then you're just trying to be a hardass and you're not telling the truth.

By the way, I'm not a huge gamer, I don't play a whole variety of games. Maybe that's what helps me enjoy D3 so much. Apparently from what you all are saying though Silent Hill is a game I should grab. Now I don't want to get nailed for "this belongs 'here'", so rather than making posts to reply, if you happen to post on the original subject, you could add this in please. Input - should I get it for PS2 or PC. I'm not going to buy an Xbox just to play this game so don't bother recommending it. Also, I've found Silent Hill 1-4, are the earlier ones any good?

Silent hill 4 on the PC has ultra bad low res graphics - it's a direct port or somethin'. Don't get it. You will vomit when u load up the game after playing d3.

RE: Blisk.

Stuff like this pisses me off, where the hell are his parents and what are they doing buying him a game which, based on his posts in this thread and others, is basically traumatising him.

I definatly agree that it's eerie as you said airman, it's just after comments such as "this game is going to scare the shit out of you" from ID staff...you get the idea.

Ah well, I look forward to the mods!

Hopefully you turned your lights off in your room, lock your door and pump up the volume. I've done that, and it was an incredible scary ride.

But sadly, you probably do the opposite. Which is no fun at all.

Airman266 said:

By the way, I'm not a huge gamer, I don't play a whole variety of games. Maybe that's what helps me enjoy D3 so much.

Yes, this is actually quite true. I've played so many "scary" games that I'm simply desensitized to this kind of thing. Not that I didnt enjoy doom3. I enjoyed it a lot. But I did not find it scary (or eerie) becasue it uses tricks that I've seen too many times.

Also, I've found Silent Hill 1-4, are the earlier ones any good?

The series gets worse as it progresses. So I would suggest playing the first two. The first one in particular is very eerie and disturbing. Be aware however that the original Silent Hill looks quite dated. Some people have problems with this.

Squall said:

Hopefully you turned your lights off in your room, lock your door and pump up the volume. I've done that, and it was an incredible scary ride.

But sadly, you probably do the opposite. Which is no fun at all.

Played with all the lights out, normally in the early hours of the morning, 00:00-2ish

sometimes 10:00-00:00

good qualtiy headphones turned up.

I figured out part of it, my gfx card is shit. Played it at a mates with everything on, high detail at 1024X768, total different experience, in paticular, specular, shadows and Bmapping make all the differece.

still not scary though :P

DOOM 3 is quite intense if you've been away from video games for a while. I played Doom I and II back in the day, and dusted off and loaded the old CD on a new computer after finding this site and all the wads that have been created over the past 10 years. I just checked out Doom 3, late at night after the wife and kid went to bed, with headphones on and a rain storm going on outside, and was blown away. The graphics, the sounds, the game play, getting my ass kicked, it was more than I expected. Not really playing first player games for years, this experience was excellent, not quite scary, but definitely got my heart pounding and had the hair on the back of my neck standing up a few times.

S1lent said:

I think that ID, if they ever make another Doom or an expansion pack, should try to reconsider their "scare tactics" a little better and not make them so repetitive.

If Id has someone do an expansion, I'd rather want it to be more action-oriented with some creepy atmosphere thrown in for good measure. Doom 3 was cool in all its gory and intense "eerieness", but there were plenty of times where my trigger finger started itching and where I wished there were monsters that would show up where they didn't.
Doom 3 has quite a few nice situations where it really throws constant waves of enemies at you - like you blast a demon, a new one teleports in to replace it. I don't think there were too few of these moments, rather I think there were too many "tension-building" situations with no monsters. Sometimes they're great, but in the end I got tired of them - my primary motivator for playing FPSs is that I get to kill stuff and anything else comes in second.

So uh, an expansion should rather have some more action imo.

For me, it was scary, but the scares came from the demonic voices and such, like when I first entered a room which had been overrun with that organic crap. Sure, there were some jumps when monsters popped out, but really, it was the atmosphere which just completely creeped me out. Also, I wasn't expecting the hell gate opening when it happened.

id seemed to go for the primal/surprise type of scares versus the more psychological kind. There were some nice psychological touches, though. I liked the subtle transformation of the base as you got deeper in the game and the flashes you saw (such as when you looked at yourself in the mirror), although you didn't see many of these. I assume Betrugers cackling was supposed to be a psychological thing, but ended up being rather humerous and kind of ruined the atmosphere.

Amaster said:

The series gets worse as it progresses. So I would suggest playing the first two. The first one in particular is very eerie and disturbing. Be aware however that the original Silent Hill looks quite dated. Some people have problems with this.

Really? That's a shame. I haven't played any SH beyond 2, mostly because the SH3 PC demo was so buggy I wasn't sure if I wanted to go forward with the series.

hamster said:

Silent hill 4 on the PC has ultra bad low res graphics - it's a direct port or somethin'. Don't get it. You will vomit when u load up the game after playing d3.

Once again, that's a shame, since SH2 and SH3 PC both had significantly higher resolution textures than their console counterparts.

Spike said:

D3 actually suprised me in delivering more frights and suspense than the AVP games. Definitly got the pulse racing, and i've jumped so many times my knee is bruised to shit.

Incidently, the only thing more unnerving than a room full of monsters is an empty room...

dude, I don't know if any game can top AvP in heart pounding, pulse racing suspense, and I'm talking about when you play the marines. Damn those aliens are fast.

for me, doom 3 was fun because i was like...."shit, i wonder whats gonig to happen next..." oh yeah, i thought hell was scary though.

Euronymous said:

my gfx card is shit. Played it at a mates with everything on, high detail at 1024X768, total different experience, in paticular, specular, shadows and Bmapping make all the differece.

still not scary though :P

Hey, I only got the game a few days ago and I've been playing on low, do you think I should (or could) play it on a setting higher.

I've got an AMD Athlon with 1.9 GHz, 512 megs of RAM and a Radeon 9800 (not Pro, the other one).

And also; I think the game is pretty scary, even if not psychologically. I'm pretty crap at games, so I'm always at low health, and when your health's at 8 and you can hear noises in the next room and you know you've got to go in there, it's scary as hell. Which is more than a coincidence, if you think about it.

Everyone's right, it's not like Silent Hill scary (or Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube, that's a psychological game), but still, it scared me.

This game scared me a lot, especially with headphones on, sitting in the dark... You can hear a grunt of a zombie in a black room, but you don't see him... Then all of a sudden you turn around and he is right in your face.

Headphones + Doom 3= Pwnage.

Euronymous said:

Stuff like this pisses me off, where the hell are his parents and what are they doing buying him a game which, based on his posts in this thread and others, is basically traumatising him.

Oh shut up, my parents let me have the shit scared out of me when I was younger. It only makes your head stronger when you get older.

Unconscious said:

This game scared me a lot...

What scares me is the size of the topic bump you've made.

Heh, Sorry... I was posting in every topic regardless of the time of the last post... If its still on the first page, I post in it. ;)

i was scared the first time the imp jumped at me but imp nmbr 79 wasnt that scary, but i think the scariest things are teh whispers,, and the laughters.
however Doom 3 is nothing compared to silent hill