Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Euronymous

Doom 3. scary?

Doom 3 is the scariest game I've ever played. I mean, it's not like I'm going "Oh noooo! Help! I'm so scared!" or anything, or get nightmares from it like I got from Aliens when I was a kid. My point is that when you're older, you don't really scare easily.

Although the "They took my baby..." thing actually did disturb me so much that I had to save and quit and take an immediate break before continuing, lol. But nothing else has done that for me in like 12 years.

I also only play Doom 3 alone, in the dark, and with head phones.

Well I suppose I do have somethng insightful to add.

id should Hire me. Honestly, I'd have made one of the levels that's halfway through the game, completely unpopulated by monsters. Just have some rats or something scurrying around knocking over paint buckets and screeching.

Doom 3 doesn't precisely scare me... it makes me jump in surprise and gives me the creeps when things like voices in walls and glowing walls with satan symbols are about, but it's not really scary.

The only thing that really got to me was when I saw my first demon. It pounded on the door... which wasn't scary even though the wall was bending in... I was still looking at the door when it stopped and jumped through the glass, when I heard that sound I turned to see it two inches from my face. That gave me a little spook, I thought the darn thing left me alone...

You could easily created a scarier game than Doom3, but you have to remember that it shouldn't be uncomfortable to play.

Maybe I'm just a big girl, but htis is one of the two games that I simply could not take. This and System Shock 2 are the only games I have ever had to stop playing because I was too scared.

Mind you, I'm not one to be easily scared by games, I stopped playing Silent Hill because it bored me, as with several other "scary" games.

I've had to watch most of this game from my boyfriend's lap.

Doom3 didn't really scare me at all. But it was a tad bit creepy I admit. And it was rather fun I think too. But the PDA thing was annoying for me here and there. :P

I swear to god that most of the time, I am impossible to scare. Movies never scare me(I actually hate scary movies, there always so dumb and cheesy), and games will creep me out a bit, but never really scare me.

MasterOFDeath said:

Doom3 didn't really scare me at all. But it was a tad bit creepy I admit. And it was rather fun I think too. But the PDA thing was annoying for me here and there. :P

I swear to god that most of the time, I am impossible to scare. Movies never scare me(I actually hate scary movies, there always so dumb and cheesy), and games will creep me out a bit, but never really scare me.

Exactly. Scary movies to me are nothing but crap now. Thrillers are still nice, but scary movies just suck now.

Doom 3 has never bothered me, but it is fun watching your friends scream, jump, and freak out from playing the game. Especially with the new surround sound I bought for my system...

I think Doom 3 needed more of the creepy stuff, and less of the cheap thrills. The 20th zombie to pop out at you isn't exactly terrifying, but things like the voices, the organic crap growing on the walls (I remember the first time I saw it, I just completely freaked out), those things are in my opinion the heart of the scariness of the game. By the way, I would like to point out (looks at title) that "Doom 3." is not a sentence. It's not even a phrase. It's a name, and names do not need periods. What the heck gives with that? Sorry, little aside, just been bugging me.

Yeah, It got a bit cheesy at the end... Too many imps... Too much action... Not enough horror.

Hell was pretty crap too, where was all the twisted voices!? I thought there was going to be pulsating bloody walls, humans on spikes, humans sew together to create a wall... But instead, we got plain old caves... Wtf.

Yeah, some of the textures from Doom and Doom2 put into the Doom3 engine would actually be really scary, like the wall of human skin with all the bloody corpses behind it, and the switch room in the icon of sin with all those corpses heaped together and impaled with wires. But who could forget the medusa head with red eyes. That one creeped the hell out of me the first time I saw it.

Which Medussa head with red eyes? I do not recall that one.

Some of the sprites would have been cool too... Impaled Humans, hearts... People torn to bits... Etc.

I was annoyed at the lack of blood (When shooting someone) I thought it wouldn't kill the instantly, and you would see blood dribbling down their body... And they would still come for you... Just weakened by your shot.

That would be awesome.

Shame the gibs and corpses don't stay.

Man I'm not sure we're playing the same game here. You guys make it sound like it was RTCW scary, not shit-your-pants scary like I saw it.

After playing tons of CS and BF1942, I wasn't ready for how scary D3 was. The last scary game I had played was Silent Hill 2. Somehow I can't very get scared by a monster with legs for a head, or a pyramid head dude. More than anything, the controls and fog pissed me off in that game.

Doom 3 was incredibly scary to me. I played from 10pm to 3am on most nights with all the lights off. EAX and expensive headphones in full effect with the sound turned up high. I was playing on a new ATI card on a 21" monitor, so the visuals were incredibly sharp, clear. and immersive.

I took my time in the game and enjoyed the ambiance. For me the scariest parts in the game were when you lost control of yourself and everything turned red or when a dead body lept up and flew past you. I Especially liked the part with the bloody footprints. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and got that flush feeling like all the blood rushes out of your face. However I concede that the Betruger berating and talking soul cube totally sucked ass.

Anyway, I thought it was great how you were walking around trying to figure out how to get through a level in the darkness with the constant threat that hell might bust through the floor at any moment. I'd much rather experience the blissful industrial hell ambiance in Doom 3 than whacking a 4-legged mannequin with a goddam stick in SH2.

BlackFish said:

Half-Life 2 had scarier moments.

Seriously? I didn't find anything in HL2 to be even remotely scary.. I mean except for areas with lots of boxes, since you knew you were going to have to stack them.

Jacknife said:

Yeah, some of the textures from Doom and Doom2 put into the Doom3 engine would actually be really scary, like the wall of human skin with all the bloody corpses behind it, and the switch room in the icon of sin with all those corpses heaped together and impaled with wires. But who could forget the medusa head with red eyes. That one creeped the hell out of me the first time I saw it.

I was dissapointed Id did not include any of the "special" types of textures, with the exception of the "thing" crawling through the base there was no really creepy stuff.

System Shock 2 was a thousand times scarier, and it was scary in a way that *made you interested*, not in a way that makes you want to quit the game and do somethign else

ok, i really have to bump this one.

first time i played doom3 thru i didnt find it that scary - yes i played it alone in my room at night. but i did enjoy it. it had atmosphere, but still it wasnt actually scary.

now (yesterday) i started to play it thru again. and for some odd reason, i find it scary as fuck now. im more aware of things in the game and my imagination kinda embraces it now. i love the tension - i fucking live the game.

but i still want to bring up the topic what would make doom3 more scary, how to somehow strenghten the feeling that the mars base is now the playground of evil spirits (both invisible and visible). the good things it already has are all in the list in dsm's post. the mechanical sounds of something heavy hitting metal was very creepy while zombies assaulted from every dark corner.

perhaps the biggest thing that really pissed off me in this game (im bringing this up A G A I N) is the fact that every crawling sequence (imps, maggots) and the web-usage (spiders) are scripted. but if ive read right, we will have the "real" crawling bastards in RoE.

the textures in this game were awesome. while they still leaned more to the hi-tech and space station textures and had a bit of that hell-slime and candles and a couple of pentagrams, the goddamn well crafted base had the frightening atmosphere when mixed with low lighting. (EDIT: sorry the hell levels were great too ! but they should have made the infestation of hell visually more horrific)

we all knew that the base was full of ghosts that didnt attack (the whisperings, laughings) and the horrific terror-spreading spirits that gave the illusions (or were they the cherubs affecting you from the delta labs?). when i first played the game i thought that every dead-lying corpse would eventually rise and attack, since the corpse would have offered ideal homes for spirits. i even hoped that the zombies you didnt gib would rise after a while too ( they could have made it so that you cant gib that easily, or gib corpses at all so you have to blast them to pieces while they are up and going). what also surprised and somewhat disappointed me was to notice that even how much you had to use computers, the computer network wasnt fucked up by the demons and dindt give you creepy flashes and faces in the screens - you could only see the demons in the monitors in the beginning when they emerged from the portal. i would also add that there should have been more "things that really isnt there".

I agree with Niguel about things that could've made the game better.
The deal with having some zombies that would get back up after being downed would've been decent if they did it like this:
Have a zombie type that take at least three solid point-blank shotgun blasts to actually gib, but when their health is depleted to a certain 'midway' level they fall over "dead", only to get back up after a bit of time. For instance, having this kind of zombie go down the first time once you've depleted 1/3 of its health, the second time when it's depleted to 2/3 and when its hp reaches 0 and below, it gibs and thus stays dead at last.

That'd rock.

Also the suggestions about having demon faces show up on screens - preferably if you begin to mess with them. A cool scenario would be in a really creepy scene (like, some place with a lot of steam vents, sounds of strained metal etc.), there's an innocent looking computer monitor which is interactible (it also looks interactible - it would look interesting enough to catch the player's attention) but when you click on it, the monitor suddenly displays a screaming demon face filling the entire scream.

But generally, the computer interaction left a lot to be desired in Doom 3 - cool interactive interface system, poor exploitation of it.

One thing that could really make it scary, placing the monsters in different locations every time you start a new game, kind of like diablo. Just the nonscripted ones though.
Also, the idea for a face showing up on the screen, taking up the whole screen would be pretty cool. It could be that if you don't kill a monster in like, 5 minutes, then a horrific face would appear on screen. Before it appears though, there would be demonic wispers that grow louder before it flashes onto the screen. But they wouldn't appear if there was an enemy near though, cause it would be really bad if you were in the middle of a battle then the face appears and causes you to get killed.

HL2 - not scary for me.

Doom3 - still haven't even finished the game yet.

I think the lighting and sound effect characteristics of D3 just make the game unplayably scary for me. This was confirmed when I loaded Doom2 for Doom3 and couldn't get past the 2nd level (besides the insane difficulty due to the weapon spread, level design and damage differences) because the sound and lighting scared me.

I feel ashamed because the Doom series is my absolute favorite game of all time and it has been for years, but I haven't been able to finish D3. I start to play for 5 minutes, then get creeped out and quit. I did get about half-way through the game but built a new machine and scrapped the save-game file. Maybe one of the reasons I'm uninterested in playing is that I have a GeFX card which sucks horribly and gets me about 10-15FPS on a Socket 939 3000+ XP box with 1GB of RAM. Disappointing.

I can go through any other FPS game out there without this issue. HL2 made me jump slightly in one scene because a headcrab popped out of some vent but the game was much more like watching the Matrix for the eye-candy.

Okay, first off, I like how a lot of you played this game alone and in the dark with headphones on. Personally, if I had doom3(and the system to run it) that's exactly what I would do. In fact, that's what I like to do for all good FPS games in the style of HL2 or D3.

Secondly, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, SCARY MOMENTS IN HL2? The scariest thing in that game was Ravenholm, and that wasn't even scary. The game rocked though- its goal isn't to be scary.

I've finished Silent Hill 2, Alien Resurrection and Alien Vs Predator 2 multiple times, and because I'm an idiot, I just had to read all the Doom 3 posts and have a large chunk of the game spoiled for me, so it is to Doom 3's credit that it still managed to have places that filled me with dread, and it even got me to jump the first and second time I played it.

It’s no Silent Hill, but I’d still wouldn’t play it with all the lights off in a house in the countryside alone (well, not the first time anyway).

Well...

After replaying doom 3 several times now it has gone from being a major dissapointment to me to a pretty excellent game.

Alot of people complained about how doom 3 "wasn't doom". To be honest, i think the reverse is true. I think doom 1 and 2 weren't doom and that this is how ID wanted it to be. Doom 3 is all about the atmosphere. I remeber back in the day that i didn't like playing the original hell levels, because they were just...nasty. You didn't want to go any further. Doom 3 is executed very well, the production is excellent. once you have got over the shock of what it isn't you start appreciating it for what it is.

Bring on RoE!

XXoXX said:

I was on edge for days after finishing the game. I guess I one of those guys who actually think that Doom is somewhat scary.

Hah.. i felt the same way.. except.. it's different when you're godmodding.. *cough* anyway.

Doom 3 was quite a scary game, but it didnt make me feel like i was going to have a heart attack.

the scariest game, hands down is AvP 2