Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Euronymous

Doom 3. scary?

I'll admit it. Doom3 makes me uneasy while playing it, but it's only because of the cheapness of the mappers. I mean, common. It's not fair when they make a mob spawn both in front and behind you, so when you back-up, you run into the one behind you. I'm playing it on hardest skill so it takes quite a while to take care of one guy let alone two. It's not like I jump out of my seat scared either. It's more of just an uneasy, "I have no control over what happens since shit just spawns on me" feeling. I also don't apreciate it when I open a door and something jumps out and claws my face before I can react. Doom3 makes me uneasy more because of cheapness than from a scary atmosphere or anything.

Doom 3 didn't scare me much at all. Just the occasional jolts when I started caring slightly about the storyline and a monster suddenly teleported in behind me. It got less after the 30th Imp that did this, and by then I had kinda given up on the scariness of the game.

But then I played the Hell level in complete darkness, with headphones on, half an hour after smoking some cannabis.

Let's say I wasn't really prepared for that.

Yes, the Hell level was the place that scared me as well. It felt really hostile and I was on the edge the whole time.

The other levels weren´t too scary for me most of the time. It was often very gloomy and I liked it, very intense athmosphere. I´m not blaming Doom3 for being not scary enough, because you get great athmosphere throughout the whole game and that´s what I want in the first place.

And then there were some scenes that maybe were supposed to be scary but actually tilted towards being simply unpleasant.

It could have been more thrilling and scary if the story would have been evolved like in System Shock 2, that game was scarier in general (and I have played it not too long ago for the first time). The way the story was developed in Doom3 spoiled many things, mainly because of silly one-dimensional characters like Betruger and because it didn´t managed to catch your attention very often.

id say that hell was the least scary place in Doom 3..
the most scary place was definetly the area where all that toxic gas was.

Doom 3 wasn't scary for me either... But I did enjoy the ride (in other words I don't feel like I shoved my 55 bucks down the drain). As for Silent Hill. I've only played a little bit of the second Silent Hill on pc (with a game pad. One of those saitek playstation look alike ones. They're great pads btw too) and I've used my crowbar on those blob looking things. I haven't found it scary yet. Actually I've found it completely stupid and gay so far (are those blob things really supposed to scare me? wtf kinda retarded invention that seems to have no point, is gonna do to scare me?). I don't know I just see ghosts, zombies, demons and things like that to be more scary. These blob things are really stupid (seriously when I first saw them I laughed and thought if I was wasting my time on some worthless crap for a game.) I mean it feels more like I'm playing with egg headed-eyed aliens rather than something err scary. But yeah like I said I'm only at the beggining (I found this apartment key and I saved a while after that) so I'm hoping these gay looking blob things at least have a point of being in the game, and I also hope I get scared and at least enjoy the game. Resident evil (the remake of the first one on Gamecube) is very scary I think. I mean those damn crimson heads (when the zombies turn redish after being dead for a while come back all hyper and start running at you. I call em turbos... err yeah)are one of the scariest enemies I've encountered in any video game. I couldn't believe I was being chased by those things when I first played oh and then the hunters... Well whatever I'll shut up now.

I think a lot of you are missing a vital point to the fear factor. You have to WANT to be scared to begin with. If you truly want to be frightened by this game, you will be. I don't care how many scary movies you've watched or how many horror games you've played. I'm twenty-six years old and have pretty much seen it all, but when I immerse myself very deeply in Doom3, I become quite uneasy and terrified. These are my two cents.

Combine said:

useually you dont play a horror game if you dont want to be scared...

You've missed my point as well. That said, I play Doom and all other id products because I know they are solid games that set benchmarks for others to follow. The fact that it might be scary is only an added bonus. When I immersed myself into it, I found it scary. Simple points are always the first to be overlooked.

Dammitt nick! I've wanted to play realms of the haunting for a while now, but I've had no luck in finding it.

As for the scariest game I've ever played... Probably the 7th guest. Not sure why, but that game really got in my head. Maybe it was because I was 7 years old when I first played it. I had nightmares about that one seducing bitch popping my head with a knife.

Now doom 3. It only scared me twice. The first time it really made me jump was in mars city right after the invasion. There's one point where it's completely dark, and an imp breaks through some stairs in front of you. The second time, I can't remember the level. But basically you go 20 minutes without seeing a demon. There's lots of noises, and scampering sounds coming from the vents, but you can't see anything. Then when I finally saw a demon, it didn't scare me, because it was placed in the middle of a room and it was terribly obvious that I was going to meet one.

Other than that, it was all pretty tame. I'm terribly used to 'jump out and play a loud noise' scare tactics. It's overused in both movies and games. It startles you at the most, really doesn't scare you. I think the psychological scares are far worse. What I think might happen, and waiting for it to happen, is scarier than a zombie breaking through a wall behind me. They should've concentrated more on getting into your head than having things jump from dark corners and teleport behind you. I think in the last half of the game they got really lazy with creating an atmosphere. The first half tries pretty hard to create new and unexpected surprises (such as the crying baby and the woman with a lost soul exploding from her head) But by the end they were just like "HEY! WHY DONT WE HAVE 3 IMPS TELEPORT FROM BEHIND THEM WHILE THEY'RE FIGHTIN AN ARCHVILE!"

This wouldn't have bothered me, except that the combat wasn't fun. I've never disliked killing things as much as I have in doom 3. It just seemed like a chore to go through combat. It seems like originally they were trying to make a truly scary game, comprised of enemies that could instill fear and dread when used in the correct situations, but when taken out of those confines, were ultimatley cheap and uninteresting to fight. So once they got bored of the scary type game, they were left with a bunch of AI that was terribly crappy to fight, but they still shoved it in anways.

Well... this has turned into a bit of a rant, but still. I was terribly dissapointed in this game, and it's one of the few games I really regreat buying, espeically at 50 bucks.

It wasent that scary. There were some part in ht that were a little unnerving but not sacry. Thay could have done better. But, I must admit that in the later parts of the game I did feal uneasy. But that was due to the fact that it was 2:00am and I was drunk.

Sgt_BFG said:

the scariest game, hands down is AvP 2

IMO the Marine levels in the fist one were 10 times more "scary" then any in avp2.
Games and moive have never scared me.

It was scary for the first few times an imp jumped at me, but overall its not scary at all.
Just a way too hard first person shooter.

My verdict:
Very good story.
Very bad game balancing.

I hope somebody does something usefull with the Shock universum.
That game is scary and playable without save-scumming.

That reminds me.... *wanders off installing System Shock 2*

Inferno said:

Well if youve seen a lot of graphic things before chances are your not going to be scared.

Yep. Thats bacicly it.

The only 2 things that I found scary was the mirrors and the stupid teleportation butt tunnel. That thing just wants me to stop playing the game. I mean whats the point of making a game that puts people off playing it by putting a butt tunnel in it!?! Then people won't buy your game.

I know "you" don't get scared of it cause you reckon your all hardcore. (btw being hardcore doesnt get you a job or a home or money so meh meh meh!)

But the point is that I can't sit down and enjoy the game, cause I know I gonna see something thats comepletly over the top that makes me just wanna bin the game. Sure have it creepy but dont put butt tunnels and evil mirrors init thats all I ask!

Everything else in the Doom 3 is just SUPER!

Sorry I ranted but thats how I feel and if I have annoyed you in anyway which is very easy since alot of Doomworld forum people are extremely tetchy then all I can say is.... TOUGH ITS A FOURM!

(btw hell wasnt scary but it was bloody cool! Shame there wasn't enough of it but thats what ROE is for.)

I've only played the demo so far, but the one thing that scared me in it was the imp-in-the-mirror thing. I was actually going up to a bathroom mirror to check something (forget what) and the hugeass fireball came up an the imp jumped out at me, catching me completely off guard. I LUNGED back in my chair.

I was playing it in the dark on my brothers computer and I ended up jumping. He had his guitar leaning next to a table and it landed on the floor and it freaked me out. Also the surround sound on that game is incredible. I could hear zombies breathing and the sound was coming from behind it was a little unnerving. But the more you play, the less scary it gets. Like Resident Evil. I'll never forget the first time those dogs jumped through those fucking windows.

It's scary if you want it to be scary. If your mindset is "Bah. I'm not gonna be scared. You can't make me scared! Go ahead and try!" then yeah, it's not going to be scary.

You have to psych yourself up for it, and LIKE feeling that uncomfortableness that comes with being offput by the unknown and supernatural.

The only thing that really scared me was the loud screaming.
I was in the dark once and i was playind Doom 3 alone. ( bad idea lol ) I heared the creapyest sound and i just SPRINTED under...
well something. Doom 3 = Pretty dang scary

I've been playing DOOM 3 for a few hours now and DOOM in general for 12 years. I can say it is a littly scary at least the first time something unexpected happens. Especially when something tries to break through a door or spawns behind you without telling you.

Also, id isn't going to make anymore Doom. They've said in an interview they're going to focus on going in other directions.

Jasoco said:

Also, id isn't going to make anymore Doom. They've said in an interview they're going to focus on going in other directions.

That's good news. If you capitalize on a game TOO much then it just becomes overdone. Just like, I think Valve should stop making Half-life games after number 3.

Nick Perrin said:

That's good news. If you capitalize on a game TOO much then it just becomes overdone. Just like, I think Valve should stop making Half-life games after number 3.

boohoo i like Doom, but they make quake now and its the same thing ,sorta ;)

Nick Perrin said:

Just like, I think Valve should stop making Half-life games after number 3.

Unless of course, HL3 does the same thing that HL2 did: Not answering a single question already posed in the previous games, and then pose even MORE questions without answering them one bit.

In a D3 interview some guy said there is gonna be more Dooms in the series.

No, he said there are not going to be more. Watch "Icons Part 4" on the disc.

Todd Hollenshead says "We've already decided we're not going to do a Doom 4 or a Quake 4..." They're going to go in another direction. Make a new ID for id. Reinvent themselves. Reinvent the genre maybe. We'll see. (Quake 4 is being made by Raven, but Doom 4 will never be made.)

I sat a friend down and said here's the challenge, play through 1 or two levels with headphones on.

He couldn't do it. LOL He screamed and jumped around in his seat, evne I did sitting there watching.

It's like a social fear thing.

And yeah, I still can't play through D3. Haven't finished it, get too scared.
LOL