Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomDan

Does anyone find Berserk packs Kinda useless

I think Berserk packs are pretty useless.They make the screen turn red which is annoying and Even though your fist are more powerful, you still suffer a lot of damage trying to kill enemies with the fist and by the time you find a berserk pack you probably already have more powerful and better weapons.

Noooo way. 100% health is excellent, and the redness is temporary. Saves ammo too. It cant be used effectively with every enemy, which might be why your getting hurt.

I find them pretty damned useful. Careful judgement is needed to determine when it makes sense to plough in with your fists, and when it makes more sense to use some ammo. Also, it takes some practice to learn how to use the berserk effectively against certain of the monsters.

I used to think they were pretty worthless too, back when my movement wasn't good enough to punch anything but Demons and Spectres.

The trick with effective Berserk usage is to first learn to effectively use the Doom Martial Arts (or Tyson as some would put it). You have to stand in a place until your enemy has launched its attack, then rush in and sock 'em a good one, then run back out. With hitscan enemies, use cover to your advantage - hide behind walls, wait for them to approach, then sock 'em and find another wall. With demons, run in, punch, then run back out. The real trick is mostly to wait until the enemy has attacked, then that will give you time to rush in and strike.

In wads like kaiser_12.wad they are very useful because of the lack of ammo. I sometimes use them to take down hell knights and barons in order to conserve ammo.

Opulent said:

worthless in Doom3, yes.

I disagree with this also, since it increases the damage done by all weapons, and a fist hit is instant death. With the one in Hell, you could knock out the two hell knights with one hook apiece.

EDIT: on the subject, the resulting strength from the fists seems goofy when enemies merely fall over upon receiving the death blow. It would have been cool to send them flying across a room, or at least hear a loud punching sound (most of the time I only heard the enemy death sound).

heh, a helmet that temporarily turns you crazy has its own merits. Or probably not.

100 percent health isn't something to take lightly, unless of course you have god mode on then its fairly useless.

Ahhh Doom's berserk Ah sterios like that drug that increases you power and health. Doom 3 on the other hand has a helmet that does the same. Nope some how a helmet that screws with your vision doesn't help. I was hopping for the rumore that Doom 3's berserk was going to be like Cowboy bebops redeye effect.

It wasn't a rumor one of ID software employees STATED that it would be like the bloody eye drug in cowboy bebop. If an official employee states something that later turns out to be untrue then it is called "bullshitting or lying" not "rumor."

Furthermore it IS like the "bloody eye," it just doesn't last as long and it comes in a ridiculous helmet form.

Yah its like the redeye but Not. I was hopping for a complete red blurred vision and running around screaming. Instead its a bunch of stock screams. Its like the marine bumped his head and had temporary double vision. Oh well.

Black Hand said:

It wasn't a rumor one of ID software employees STATED that it would be like the bloody eye drug in cowboy bebop.

Uh, whoever it was directly mentioned Cowboy Bebop?

From my experience, i find the berserk pack pretty useful if i need a top up in health. I don't use it after a while though in the game.

The doom 3 berserk pack kicks ass.

I am fairly adept with my fists, and will go out of my way to beserk punch demons and spectres to save on ammo.

Berserk is useful. Very useful, and useful is it twice.

One for the player, to regain 100% health and to act as a temporary new-weapon. I find it much funnier that launching hundreds of rockets to give a nice Iron Knuckle slap in Hell Knight's face.

On the second hand it's very useful for the mappers. As well as green armour. It's a thing you can place in every map, not worrying about making it too easy. Still it can be put instead of four Medkits.

I love berserker to play levels very fast and fun.

I love to make e2m2 with only my fists... Tyson style is very VERY fun. :)

I only use berserk on anything up to a demon. Anything other than that and the gain is not worth the loss. The health thing cliches it's worth though (Except on MAP05. Why is it behind a Soulsphere???).

TheDarkArchon said:

I only use berserk on anything up to a demon. Anything other than that and the gain is not worth the loss. The health thing cliches it's worth though (Except on MAP05. Why is it behind a Soulsphere???).

200 health right there.

gatewatcher said:

Uh, whoever it was directly mentioned Cowboy Bebop?

Yea they specified the show, the episode and the name of the drug. I found it pretty funny.

Naitguolf said:

I love berserker to play levels very fast and fun.

I love to make e2m2 with only my fists... Tyson style is very VERY fun. :)

DEFFINETLY!

Caco-Puff said:

200 health right there.

Not reallyunless you already have 100%.I think It should of been a Berserk pack than a Soul Sphere.

TheDarkArchon said:

Berserk packs only take you TO 100%. (Unless your playing Immoral Conduct)

Uhhh,Pick up the Beserk pack first?

christ..

The Berserk power-up is behind the Soul Sphere, so you can't get it without getting the sphere first. The author arranged it thus possibly to ensure you would not get what he considered too much health for the situation.

myk said:

The Berserk power-up is behind the Soul Sphere, so you can't get it without getting the shpere first. The author possibly arranged it thus to ensure you would not get what he considered too much health for the situation.

Well i'd say that 90% of source ports have a jump feature now :P