Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Most annoying monster?

Worst combination ever: mancubi and cherubs. I was in Hell, blasting away at a manc, playing the Mexican hat dance around a pillar and plugging him with a shotgun periodically and then all of a sudden I hear a baby gurgling...*bam* I get whacked by a cherub, forcing me to turn around and try to peg it. In the meantime, the manc is going hog wild on me, sending a torrent of fireballs at me. I finish off the cherub in a shot or two and I pull out my chaingun and circle strafe the manc out of sheer frustration.

I then hobble away with 12 health and 87 armor.

On a related note, mancubi are also annoying snipers. I recall having to time things perfectly to avoid getting shot in the part of hell where the mancs occupy platforms in the pit which has a pounding pillar in the middle. I timed things well, didn't get hit, but then right around the corner I came face to face with some lost souls. Man...I hate the mancubi. But I love them too.

AirRaid said:

Try on nightmare. You get surprisingly good at taking them down.

Hint: use the chaingun.

The Chaingun is not very effective against them either, but I've found the best combat technigue against them yet:
Stay a decent distance away from them and circlestrafe them.

dsm said:

The Chaingun is not very effective against them either, but I've found the best combat technigue against them yet:
Stay a decent distance away from them and circlestrafe them.

A well placed grenade and a burst of machinegun fire will take one down nicely. Two grenades if you prefer it.

Put rockets on a hotkey they are great against the commanders, cherubs, trites, just about anything you hate :)

Those babies really piss me off... whenever I try to kill them with my shotgun they jump over the blast... I love my shotgun...

Like I previously mentioned, aim down with the chainsaw when the cherubs approach, let 'er rip, it kills them easily. They only have 50 health.

Job said:

A well placed grenade and a burst of machinegun fire will take one down nicely. Two grenades if you prefer it.

Or use the rocket launcher ;-)
The rocket launcher especially is the answer to pretty much any enemy mentioned in this thread.

The Cherubs aren't annoying as long as you learn to keep your distance and pelt them with your machinegun (Hint: learn to aim) - and it's quite possible to dodge them as well if there's room. Little fucks are a cakewalk compared to the chaingunner (who's annoying even if you use the rl against him).
Pretty much any enemy mentioned in this thread isn't half as annoying as people make them - learn how to anticipate their attacks, learn to aim and move around instead of standing still if they're close. Once you get to know thy enemy, the real enjoyment starts (now that they aren't annoying anymore) :-)

the commandos will run up and kick u in the face if u duck their tenticle attack.

also, i was hoarding rockets through a lot of them game thinking i was gonna come face to face with a hell-knight at any given moment. stupid choice.

you get a surprising number of rockets in the game. and they are very good at killing everything. you also get a ton of grenades.... but the fucking things bounce like super balls.

I've hit the commando with a rocket on many occasions where the first shot didn't kill him. And before you ask, yes direct hits, not splash damage. I hit the fucker in the head once. Does your distance have anything to do with it?

Imps. For me that killed a lot of the games fun. *door opens* oh look an imp! oh and theres one behind me too! what fun!

The pinkies should have been slamming through walls, cacodemons falling from the skies, maggots on the ceilings etc...

The enemies didn't know how to make a dramatic entrance. Why did the majority of creatues have to spawn? The imps should have been clambering down walls and out vents not spawning into the next room.

I hated all of z-sec too. I never once saw a z-sec guy before he was a zombie either, wheres all the zombiefied uac marines?

I thought all the monsters that were underused pretty boring. Some levels were populated entirely with imps.. bah.

^^^except for the Z-sec i agreew with everythign you wrote

The patch fixed the grenades, but it turns out its still hard to aim em

Technician said:

Yah but those exact monsters are designed to be annoying.

Well, for me it's pretty fucking stupid to put deliberately annoying stuff into something that's supposed to be fun. Annoying isn't fun. Over use of annoying is even less fun.

And imps (and imp-alikes) were over used too. And over spawned infront and - OMG - behind me at the same time over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...

I guess the babies are probably most annoying, or at least they would be on a monster-by-monster comparison. However, I feel the way the trites were used meant that they probably had the annoyance edge over the babies. And lets face it, both of their attacks are just modifications of the lost soul kind of attack, and they have always been at least a bit annoying.

ThreeEyes said:

I hated all of z-sec too. I never once saw a z-sec guy before he was a zombie either, wheres all the zombiefied uac marines?

You see unzombified z-secs. One guarding a door. One in the medical room. One signs you your weapon and armor. One is by the air lock to your next mission. All UAC zombies are commandos. Didn't you see the cinimatic.

he might have meant there werent any guys after people were changed.
there were only a few scientists and the only person you teamed up with was the scientist with the lantern. and he didnt last too long.

Graf Zahl said:

Unfortunately I have to say that there is not one monster in there that is not annoying. I have never experienced a game where it was such little fun to do combat... :-(

Sad but true

maggot said:

he might have meant there werent any guys after people were changed.
there were only a few scientists and the only person you teamed up with was the scientist with the lantern. and he didnt last too long.

I actually found it odd that id never made it so you can work with another sodier. I remeber them saying that for Quake 2 but they never got the ai finished so they made the mairne prisoners brain dead retards. I guess id wanted it to be a alone and scared feel. Or they didn't want to take the time to script the proper ai.

Trites were definatly the most annoying. Not once were they a challange, it was just a case of using up shells until they stopped crawling out of the wall. bitches.

Euronymous said:

Trites were definatly the most annoying. Not once were they a challange, it was just a case of using up shells until they stopped crawling out of the wall. bitches.

I thought they were pretty damn challenging the first time I encountered them - little fuckers crawled all over me and I couldn't hit them because they were constantly in my face.

I really liked the Cherub, but I found them a little annoying, I mean if you don't get a good hit on them at first sight they are on you in no time slashing away. They also come at you in swarms not 1 or 2 here and there. Still like them, a little annoying to get a bead on.

Heh, the first time I encountered those fucking spiders it was a real bitch. So I decided that the chaingun is most recommended in this situation, I just went beserk over them.

Also those Ticks, ohh don't get me started on them. After Hell I thought I was through with those pesky little monsters. After I dealted with those very annoying commando zombies/chaingunners, a whole shitload of ticks spawned through the wall. I was like oh man not again.

Sorry about this, but I thought the most annoying monsters were the unarmed zombies and the Z-Sec pistol dudes. Sure, they looked and sounded cool, but they weren't actually a challenge at all, and it just felt like the developers had said "oh, we can't have another unpopulated room, let's stick a zombie in there, that'll scare 'em." It's not like the damage they do is scary at all. I liked the pinkies, though. Were they the replacement for the demons in the original?

Tomb Spyder said:

I liked the pinkies, though. Were they the replacement for the demons in the original?

Being that the original was often called the pinky because of its color, I would say so. ;)

I really don't find the Lost solus or any of those enemys annoying. Love how they corner you and then pummel you with attacks. I fire like a madman and it's very itnresting who comes out on top.. :p

Ticks and Trites, they are not even hard to beat, they are just a giant pain in the arse.

Oh, Don't forgot the lost souls, well, I hate all demons that come in groups of over 2.