Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dirtguy

How does another player save their game?

My son and I are playing Doom 3. It will only allow the first player, ME, to save my game. My son started playing from the beginning and when he tried to save his game under a new player name it would not let him. What do we need to do to get his game saved under his name?

I had noticed this problem, the quicksave button will only save to "quick.sav", there is no way to save either 2 seperate Doom3 quicksaves, or two quicksaves for different mods or whatever. A workaround I found would be to have two sepearte shortcuts for the game, for you and your son, loading seperate cfg files. For example -

"C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +exec dadconfig.cfg

and

"C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +exec sonconfig.cfg

(replace the path with your own Doom3 path as necessary)

In the cfgs, have two lines saying -

for you,

bind f5 savegame quickdad
bind f9 loadgame quickdad

and for your son,

bind f5 savegame quickson
bind f9 loadgame quickson

You could replace "dad" and "son" with your names or whatever, but this way would let you quicksave to two seperate files, keeping your games seperate. Also, if you use different quicksave/load keys, obviously replace those too. :)
The game would still save the autosaves at the start of each level as the same files, this is unavoidable I think, but you'll at least be able to keep your quicksaves seperate, and so be able to play at the same time. This setup also has the advantage of allowing you to have different controls and setup from your son, should you wish to do that.

Hope this helps.

Thanks AirRaid, that will certainly help. I think I also discoverd that my son cannot save when using D3 when he has the program open under his user name in XP since he does not have administrator credentials. Does anyone know of any way to circumvent that?

I guess I should have been more specific. Is there anyway he can have full use of D3 "without" haveing administrator credentials in XP?

Ummm.... I'm not sure. I guess it's blocking him writing to the part of the disc where Doom 3 is installed... try installing it somewhere else? A different drive if you have one, if not, just somewhere else on the drive?

Thanks Arioch, that makes sense. Now, 3 more things(excuse my ignornace)

1. Do I have to completely uninstall D3 and reinstall in c:\games...or

2. Do I create a new folder and just dran and drop in explorer?

3how do I make it writable by other by Users?

You would need to uninstall then reinstall the game. But copy your savegames folder first! Also copying your doomconfig.cfg file would be helpful. As for how to set the permissions, I don't use multiple users on XP so I'll let Arioch answer.

You actually don't have to reinstall. Doom 3 worked fine for me after I reinstalled Windows, without reinstalling Doom 3.