Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

XFX Geforce 6800 GT problems (?)

When I run the timedemo on high quality, 1024x768, NO AA, I get a miserable 38.0 fps.

The rest of my specs are:-

2.17 AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
1.5gb of PC3200 DDR SDRAM

I've OC'd my 6800 GT to 401mhz clock speed/1.10 memory frequency and I've also set my graphics aperture size in BIOS to 512mb.

Any help?!?!

According to Carmack, doom3 doesnt like overclocking. I dont know whether or not that's actually true, but you may want to undo your overclocking. Also, make sure you're using the latest official drivers.

Well I've already set the settings back to default. And yes, I have all the latest drivers for everything...

He's using a completely different, and newer card. The rendering pipelines are probably shorter, reducing the need for a higher clock speed as standard.

Yep. Looked it up. Must run more efficienty. Anyway, try tinkering around with the rendering engines. There are a few people reporting this problem, and I believe that it may have something to do with the codepaths Doom3 supports. Until nv40 is added to the renderer list try this in the console:

r_renderer nv20 [press enter]
image_usenormalcompression 1 [press enter]
image_anisotropy 0 [press enter]
image_lodbias -1 [press enter]
vid_restart [press enter]

This will set you on the nv20 codepath, and use sharper textures rather than anisotropic filtering, which runs better and looks almost identical. If you find this doesn't help, do this:

r_renderer ARB2 [press enter]
image_usenormalcompression 0 [press enter]
image_anisotropy (whatever you want it to be) [press enter]
image_lodbias 0 [press enter]
vid_restart [press enter]

In notepad, type this:

set com_videoRam 256
set image_downSizeBump 1
set image_downSizeBumpLimit 1024

Go to "Save as", and under "save as type" select "all files" and save it as "autoexec.cfg" move this into your Doom3/base/ folder.

Doom 3 autodetects some cards as 64mb. It did on mine too.
Also, make sure in your computer's bios that the "Graphics apeture size" is set to 256. Turn on Videoram caching, BIOS shadowing, and AGP fastwrites.

Doom 3 autodetected mine, and several other people's cards as 64mb, so this may be part of your problem. Someone already informed me the other rendering engines don't work well either, so don't bother with my last post.

DoomUK said:

When I run the timedemo on high quality, 1024x768, NO AA, I get a miserable 38.0 fps.

A 'miserable' 38.0 fps?? Be bloody grateful that it runs *that* smoothly. Some of us can only dream of those framerates ATM.