Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

DooM for GBA!!! Impressive!

I never would have thought that the game boy could do such a good job at re-creating/playing doom. I know its far from new, but if you have not played it, it's worth checking out...
I just wish you could create/edit levels for it or at least be able to load wads somehow...

How long has this game been out? How many months now?

No, they didn't do a good job recreating it. They took out a lot of the rooms in many maps (including secret ones), the controls are bad, and finally the blood in the game is green...not red...green.

S1lent said:

How long has this game been out? How many months now?

No, they didn't do a good job recreating it. They took out a lot of the rooms in many maps (including secret ones), the controls are bad, and finally the blood in the game is green...not red...green.

Its not bad for a GBA Game.I love to play coop with GBA Doom[I have Doom II]

Darkbolt said:

I didnt think the orignal doom gba was good but i did think doom II was good.

I didnt even play Doom I on GBA But I already know that it was a Bad conversion.No Cybie or SpiderDemon.Who was the Final Boss then,A Bunch of Barons??

The engine conversion wasn't bad, but the umpteenth reuse of the Jag levels was kind of disappointing.

DoomDan said:

I though that was a Bad conversion.No Cybie or SpiderDemon.Who was the Final Boss then,A Bunch of Barons??

I played Doom for GBA, and it was somewhat disappointing. The controls SUCKED. Playing on HMP was hard enough. And yes, the final level is level e2m9 instead of level e3m8, so yeah, it's a bunch of barons. Level e2m8 is some level from PSX Doom I think, one with barons. And no secret levels. Level 31 was totally changed, and I don't know why. And the music is HORRIBLE. They kept some music for some levels ok, but they completely fucked up other music (e2m4 especially) I think they got rid of a few levels too, like Mt. Erebus.

Haven't tried Doom 2 yet. Don't have a reason to. Portable gaming systems don't seem to do it for me anymore. Can't figure out why yet.

GGG said:

And no secret levels.

Except for E1M9, of course :p

GGG said:

I think they got rid of a few levels too, like Mt. Erebus.

Nope. Mt. Erebus is in there, although levels are missing -- the ones that didn't make it to the Jaguar version, of which this is arguably a port of.

Doom2GBA is far, far closer a conversion, and despite the added complexity, the levels are more faithful (Although there are some modifications, like extra walls on MAP03) and the engine runs smoother. No missing monsters, either (Which is a treat for Archvile-lovers such as myself :D) -- they're all present and correct.

One thing, however, which they had to do because of GBA memory limitations, was to split MAP15 and MAP24 in two; however, I consider those two maps to be far too long for console gaming anyway, so the option to effectively save in the middle was very, very welcome.

yes doom GBA was OK. however could have been better. personaly i think they did a bit poor of a job porting it. surely it could have run faster and had in games saves, very annoying for doom II. though i didn't like the fact it was editing, but i can live with that.
i have seen worse port, and this isn't one of them. my only major complaints are about the GBA itself (and the fact nintendo has this thing aginst backlighting)
however i would recommend getting wolf3d. that game is complete minus the music for some reason

Sephiroth said:

my only major complaints are about the GBA itself (and the fact nintendo has this thing aginst backlighting)

*cough* GBASP *cough* Afterburner kit *cough* GameBoy Player *cough*

Jayextee said:

*cough* GBASP *cough*

Yeah.. It only took them like 10 years to take a hint.

"Oh! I have a very original an innovative idea! Let us make our next-generation GameBoy platform actually be visible! We'll make millions!"

Well, I've actually had no problem with my non-backlit GBA since I got it, with the exception of CastleVania: Circle of the Moon; I usually play in well-lit places ANYWAY, regardless of the format, since it's a Very Good Thing (tm) to do,. It's not like I ain't myopic enough thanks to almost twenty years of gaming, I needn't make it worse by playing in the dark.

And what was wrong with the GameBoy Color screen? High contrast made it extremely visible, although not a patch on the NeoGeo Pocket Color's.

Sephiroth said:

yes doom GBA was OK. however could have been better. personaly i think they did a bit poor of a job porting it. surely it could have run faster and had in games saves, very annoying for doom II.

In-game saving seems to be the bane of console ports. Likely due to the added complexity of saving the player's exact position and status, all the enemy's positions and stats, etc etc eating up precious (and probably expensive) save data, where the job can be done to an effective degree by simply saving the starting level and player status.

Sephiroth also said:

however i would recommend getting wolf3d. that game is complete minus the music for some reason

Agreed. GBAWolf is the closest to a perfect console port yet. There's even Adlib sounds for item pickups!

The Doom II port is much more exacting than the DOOM I port is. I love my Doom II GBA doom, and the changes that were made to the levels are intriguing, rather than seemng like cop-outs.

Trasher][ said:
In-game saving seems to be the bane of console ports. Likely due to the added complexity of saving the player's exact position and status, all the enemy's positions and stats, etc etc eating up precious (and probably expensive) save data, where the job can be done to an effective degree by simply saving the starting level and player status.Agreed. GBAWolf is the closest to a perfect console port yet. There's even Adlib sounds for item pickups!

Well, the XBOX version of Max Payne 1/2 had in-game saves, you could save at anytime, PS2 versions however you couldn't.

But then again, that's cause XBOX has got a built-in hard-drive, PS2 just got one.