Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SupremeGeneral

Survey : Team-made or solo-made maps???

Hate to author 2 threads in a row, but I was wondering...

I am making my map by myself, but I have some long-term doubts about effeciency and speed of production. I have also surfed the web and seen whole communities, team of 5, group of 4, and 3 or 2 friends work on them.

How many of you work on them yourselves? How many alone? What would you think is better?

And this one's for Shaviro. Are you working in a group or freelance??? You have one hell of a map as far!

Well, of course, more people working on a map, more ideas are put into a map. It really depends if you're an experienced mapper or a long time Quake mapper, if any of these, then making a map by yourself will be very quick and easy to do. But also bear in mind that making a very good and detailed map with careful monster placement will take time, usually more than one month for some people. Good maps can't be rushed.

A single person can create something just as good as a map made by more than one author, it just going to take more time to plan things out.

SupremeGeneral said:

And this one's for Shaviro. Are you working in a group or freelance??? You have one hell of a map as far!

Thanks!
I am currently working alone on my map, however I might ask a couple of Team Future members for some favours. Julian for music, etc. I doubt any other mapper will work on it, though.

Deathman said:

Well, of course, more people working on a map, more ideas are put into a map. It really depends if you're an experienced mapper or a long time Quake mapper, if any of these, then making a map by yourself will be very quick and easy to do. But also bear in mind that making a very good and detailed map with careful monster placement will take time, usually more than one month for some people. Good maps can't be rushed.

A single person can create something just as good as a map made by more than one author, it just going to take more time to plan things out.

I would If I knew more of the editor hehe, im learning..

Deathman said:

I think it´s actually harder and taking generally longer to coordinate a group of mappers working on the same project instead of doing it by yourself. My experiences with mod teams was that it took ages and you had to redesign stuff many times.