Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

New Director For Doom Flick

From here:

Universal Pictures has hired Polish director Andrzej Bartkowiak ("Cradle 2 the Grave") in a pay-or-play pact to helm the studio's upcoming vidgame adaptation, "Doom." He replaces the film's original director, Enda McCallion, who the studio said is bowing out due to personal reasons.

Exit Wounds. Yippee.

Good to hear that they hired someone competent to do the movie. I liked Bartkowiak's style in all of his past movies so far even though Exit Wounds was hurt by the Seagal factor...

Storyline for "Doom" is loosely based on the current id Software and Activision videogame, "Doom 3" (mad scientists + bad virus = zombie hacking).

Virus? Did I miss something in the doom story?

(http://dvd.ign.com/articles/434/434550p1.html)
Just watch this guy screw up the DOOM movie. Virus; jesus christ they ARE going to turn the Doom movie in RE, and we all know how RE turned out.
(http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/546/546076p1.html)

It would be nice if ID stepped in and said "ok, already the story sounds ridiculous, let's unfuck it right now."

Also shouldn't that Christian gamer be happy about DOOM III? For argument's sake, you're battling the forces of evil and not joining them.

Eh, the mention of the virus crap does sound bad, but I'd actually assume that's more to the ignorance of the writer at yahoo. Remembering that this IS Id's game and I doubt they would accept the director/producer saying "Hey, I know...lets say it's a virus" Atleast I hope they wouldn't...

boris said:

Exit Wounds could have been a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie. No wait, his movies are even worse.

Ah um der learghhh!

JoyDivision said:

(Just watch this guy screw up the DOOM movie. Virus; jesus christ they ARE going to turn the Doom movie in RE, and we all know how RE turned out.

Yep, as a damn fine film.

Remember that in Doom 3, all the way up to the invasion, the medical staff on Mars thought the zombification of the teleportation experiment subjects were due to a pathogen.

And why not? Why shouldn't demonic possession and/or zombification be interpreted as a disease, according to our modern definitions? Such a change would certainly require a certain amount of transformation on the cellular level, whether due to demonic influence or through a virus, or due to a demonic virus.

Remember Resident Evil's semi-plausible scientific explanation for the T-virus and the zombies.

RE's explaination for the zombies was absolutely retarded. Hell everything about that movie was just... just... there's no word for how not-smart it was.

"Storyline for "Doom" is loosely based on the current id Software and Activision videogame, "Doom 3" (mad scientists + bad virus = zombie hacking). "

What the hell? Virus? Are possesion skulls a virus? Did ID leave something out of their game?

Exit Wounds was the best Seagal flick ever.

I hope they hire Anthony Anderson as the jive-talking fat black guy. That would be cool.

Arioch said:

Remember that in Doom 3, all the way up to the invasion, the medical staff on Mars thought the zombification of the teleportation experiment subjects were due to a pathogen.

And why not? Why shouldn't demonic possession and/or zombification be interpreted as a disease, according to our modern definitions? Such a change would certainly require a certain amount of transformation on the cellular level, whether due to demonic influence or through a virus, or due to a demonic virus.

You could interpret the demonic possession of the guards and zombification of the civies as some sort of magically created "virus infection" I suppose.
But I think it's pretty clear that when the skulls possesses the Z-sec guards, they throw out the human soul and take control over the body. Then I suppose you could say that it spreads a sort of virus infection throghout the body to turn the skin sickly grey.

But it seems to me that if they write the stuff they did in this news post, it's because they definitely turned the plot into a RE-style story with some moron getting loads of people infected by a disease and NOT getting them taken over by demons like it should be, because even if the ghost skull's possession causes some kind of infection in people, the thing that actually happens is that they possess people.

Every moron can make the connection that demons + human-going-evil = demonic possession = occult and inexplicable stuff.

It had better be the news poster and not the film makers that screwed up here. Then again, the film makers would probably screw up even if they had everything true to the game universe.

Any horror movie that tries to explain the supernatural happenings scientifically or with jargon anywhere beyond pop-culture usually ends up sucking. Tremors was good because the characters briefy considered where the worms came from but finally gave up.