Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

What kind of music will be rejected?

What kind of music will be rejected from newstuff? The FAQ says mp3s with no mention of source, what about midis? What about midis of famous hits that someone recreated and put on his/her site for free download? What if I downloaded stuff ages ago and I´m not able to state the source anymore?

copyrighted music unless it was made specifically for this wad or the author has permission from the author of the song i think

The kind that makes your WAD top off 50 megs, or copyrighted material. An exception is made if you made it yourself, or if you got permission from the author to use it. The part about the copyrighted material is the exception, no one said you could make it over 50 megs if your friend made it.

From the archive's official guidelines:

4. Do not embed commercial MP3s as music in WADs. If you have made
your own music as an MP3, or I can verify that you had it made
especially for you by one of the folks in the community, I'll
accept it as part of your wad.

It also says:

6. In spite of the difficulty of doing so, you need to obtain permission
from anyone whose works you use in your uploads if it's not all
original work. If there is no statement in their text file that says
you can use something in your own wads, then you can't. Permission
will be considered denied if not specified.

I think with midis people generally don't care, especially since they're not actual wave audio. In that case it's just a good idea to give credit.

Well, back on Dec 10th 2003 I uploaded a "birthday DM map" that featured a happy birthday midi I downloaded somewhere. I was rejected, though I don´t know if it was due to that.

By the way, can I put music from other id games in wads? For example, Quake1 music in mp3 format? (I mean this not technically but legally spoken)

If it's from the shareware Quake you may be able to get away with it. Of course restrictions may have just plain gotten tighter, with the introduction of mp3 support in ports and there being more people on broadband uploading larger files that take up more space.

Gokuma said:

If it's from the shareware Quake you may be able to get away with it...

Thing is, there is no music for shareware Quake. You have to get the registered CD to have the soundtrack in the game (of course you can still play other CD's in the shareware version, but you need the CD of the game to play the real soundtrack)

Kojak_Man said:

Thing is, there is no music for shareware Quake. You have to get the registered CD to have the soundtrack in the game (of course you can still play other CD's in the shareware version, but you need the CD of the game to play the real soundtrack)

Actually the Quake shareware cd had the entire soundtrack, the full game encrypted onto the cd along with a bunch of other iD titles.