Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FlexGalaxy

Ticks

Maybe it's just me...but does anyone find it a little weird that the ticks only appear at one point in the game (when you just get out of hell). What's the point of having ticks then?

I honestly do not know, you can ask Id that. Maybe custom maps will use them more..

Aside from the bosses, I think there were a few zombie variations that were only used once or twice during the game. There's the morgue zombie, the flaming zombie isn't used much, the yellow shirt zombie that appeared quite frequently in early Doom 3 shots was only used once, the green shirt variation of that zombie can be spawned but the skin on him is missing so he's never used, the boney zombie is only used during one section in Hell, the Z-Sector zombie with the shield is only used once I think, there's only one zombie you find holding a flashlight (Which is a shame, since it could have been used more to accentuate the dynamic lighting and shadows), and the Jonathan zombie (The missing scientist you find) is only used once, but I guess he's an exception. There's also a couple of NPC's that aren't used very much. There's the haz mat suit guy, which is only used once besides two other scripted sequences, and the doctor guy you see behind the window at the beginning which is the only time he's used at all. Then there's the maledict is only used during the ending sequence. Seems like a waste when other monsters were completely overused at some points.

Stuff that was only used at one point in the game

Chainsaw zombie (only a certain area)
Ticks
Flame Zombies (maybe just once or twice)
Tattood Demons & Souls (Once in Hell ONLY)

Other than that, I dunno. You don't get to see the Pinky demon that ofter either.

S1lent said:

Stuff that was only used at one point in the game

Chainsaw zombie (only a certain area)

Untrue. You see the Chainsaw zombies at least 3 or 4 times. Where you meet them first, one or two in the 'stroage' area with the movable train/platform thing, and there are several in the delta labs.

S1lent said:

Flame Zombies (maybe just once or twice)

Three that I can recall. Not that they're a monster that should be used a lot, IMO.

S1lent said:

Tattood Demons & Souls (Once in Hell ONLY)

Uhh. All of the demons that I could see in hell were tattooed. And... "Souls"? Where else are you going to see souls?

S1lent said:

Other than that, I dunno. You don't get to see the Pinky demon that ofter either.

I agree the pinky seemed underused, although I think he appears more in nightmare. I'm not sure of that though. Still, he's a hefty monster that needs a reasonable amount of room to move, so there's one reason he wasn't included all that much. Plus, it made seeing him all the more scary cos you weren't used to dealing with his speed.

The Ticks were a complete waste anyway. It's an enigma to me why Id included that monster at all.

The pinkies weren't really that underused imo. They made quite a few appearances here and there, but that doesn't mean I think there were enough of them. It's namely because of the frequent appearance of the pinky in the classics that the pinky seems so underused in D3, but compared to e.g. the chainsaw zombies, I didn't think they were really that underused.

I do wish they had used certain enemies, including the pinky, a bit more - especially late in the game. Overall, I didn't think I got to fight enough Hell Knights and I would've preferred to see more Burnies, chainsaw zombies, lost souls and pinkies (why is that I never get to fight more than two pinkies simultaneously?).

I like the ticks. Its a goo change from trite to tick, so I can't complain. Although they could have spent more time on an arachnotron.

I really liked the tattooed zombies in Hell. They reminded me of the naked zombies from RE1. Either way, I know they're specific to hell, but I thought they were rather creepy andI would've liked seeing more of them.

AirRaid said:

Untrue. You see the Chainsaw zombies at least 3 or 4 times. Where you meet them first, one or two in the 'stroage' area with the movable train/platform thing, and there are several in the delta labs.

Oh, oops. I forgot, I just don't remember seeing them that often.

Uhh. All of the demons that I could see in hell were tattooed. And... "Souls"? Where else are you going to see souls?

Thats why I said ONCE in Hell. You only go to Hell once. Sorry, I guess I should have reworded that a little better. Also, I call the "zombies" in hell souls because there aren't any undead zombies in hell. It's all demons and souls. Why would there be undead creatures in a realm where there are only the dead? But if you want to call them zombies because it's easier than that's fine too.

DoomUK said:

Off topic but interesting to note: Ticks have 2d legs. Yep, two-dimensional legs... odd.

I'm sure we all knew that. id wanted really skinny spider legs and that was the easyest way to do it. Unless you look closely you don't really notice.

Technician said:

I'm sure we all knew that. id wanted really skinny spider legs and that was the easyest way to do it. Unless you look closely you don't really notice.

Point taken.

Technician said:

Exactly - not everyone may have looked closely, so don't say you're sure everybody knew that.

Technician said:

I didn't know that. You know why I didn't know that? Because ticks were only used once in the game, that's why.

The tick death sequence is unusual. For whatever reason they seem less organic and more hell-based than the trites. I noticed that they die in flame like the demons and continue to have mass after you shoot them...the second shot can send them sliding across the ground. Strange. Superfluous but strange.

Technician said:

You know. Odd enough the tick and trites magore attack is self destruct...But I never seen theme do it in game.

I've seen them do that in the Trite Cloning Labs map on the Doom3Files site.

ya i played the new trite breeding map mod thing. Kicks ass, except for the part where you cant climb into the sewer pipes so u have to use noclip