Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mivalekan

Arctic Research Center

What the hell. I've set everything in Jdoom to the lowest possible settings yet it's still so damn laggy I can't even move.
Does anyone else have this problem?

(Specs are 950 mhz AMD Athlon processor, Radeon 9600 pro 128mb video card and 512mb RAM)

Use ZDoom if JDoom doesn't run your map properly, unless the map only runs in that port, or has XG Scripting. Just be more open-minded to different ports when one doesn't run right. If you want a list of good ones to check out, here's ones I use, in order of greatness:

ZDoom / Skulltag
Eternity
JDoom
DarkDoom (sucks bad atm)
Legacy
Doom95

I doubt you'd be able to get an acceptable framerate with a sub 1ghz processor. And yes, the map in question does require JDoom, as it uses new 3D models and stuff.

ROFL
That map is Jdoom Specific :D
and in this week's /newstuff

Mivalekan-I can only reccomend to get a better machien (as one asshole recommended me the same when I posted a comment on another Jdoom wad) It's only my opinion, but I believe that Jdoom is not OPTIMISED to use it as it is used. Dynamic Lights are used as static lighting which eats so much memory it would surprised if it didn't lag.

No Doomsday isn't optimised for modern hardware at all. The infrastructure of the opengl renderer was originaly designed around the hardware of the time (voodoo 3) which is obviously now hideously out of date. Although it has been improved a lot since then. Yes you do need a decent cpu to be able to run Doomsday with all the eye candy.

That is why Skyjake began development on Doomsday 2.0 (Hawthorn). The main reasons are A)to leverage the features of modern GPU's like programmable pipelines and T&L B)to provide a common platform for any 2.5d fps game. So that with little effort games like Duke3D could be ported to run under the Doomsday engine. This would be done in such a way that any feature of any supported game would be available to mod makers in any other supported game.

Well, other levels (if we're talking about Doom2 ones YOu run under JDoom) don't use it's features so extensively.

Heh, I tried this wad, it lagged pretty bad so I tried some God Mode. It also crashed with some P_GetThing error or something at one point in the level. Wierd...

I tried the wad. It ran well with my 256 mbs of ram and onboard video card. I have no idea why it ran crappy on that dudes system but DaniJ's reason is most likely the case. It's not really too good, and it's really annoying how the enemies kept respawning.

In my opinion the Jdoom specific maps run so horribly that it's better to play a younger game instead (Unreal, Quake 2 even).
That is, before Jdoom gets optimised for modern CPU's.
EDIT: There ya go, I'm a forum regular.