Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
imdoomed

Inserting textures into a custom wad file.

Ok I've searched the forums and all relavent information seems to be talking above my head. I'm at my wits end. Here's my dumb question: I'm using Wintex43 and want to copy the 4 Wfall textures from the Plutonia.wad into my wad file and not need the Plutonia.wad after that. What I've done so far:
1.Renamed the plutonia.wad to doom2.wad (backedup doom2.wad) so Wintex will reconize the textures Wfall1-4.
2.Created Wfall1-4 textures on the "Textures In Wad" side by dragging over the appropiate textures from the "Patches" side.
3.Now if I leave the plutonia.wad as the doom2.wad my map editor (DoomBuilder) reconizes the wfall1-4 textures. But if I rename it back and use the real Doom2.wad the Wfall1-4 textures are said to not exist BOTH in Doombuilder and WinTex.

OK I'm a newbie at this texture manipulation stuff by about 4 hours, so if anyone can explain what I need to do in simple terms I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

ok, um, you need to rename the plutonia wad to get wintex to see the textures? That doesn't sound right at all...wtf...use xwe

Then It's just a matter of exporting the textures from plutonia...then importing them properly into your wad and adding to patches

You don't need to rename it, load up Plutonia as a custom wad (keeping your original doom2.wad with it's original name) and it'll display fine. Then copy the WFALL1-4 patches across.

The reason it didn't like it was because the texture list you saved contained all the Plutonia textures and not the DooM 2 ones. If do do the above suggestion, then create textures called WFALL1-4 in your wad, the animation will actually work with the original doom2.wad (as for some reason the animation exists in doom2.wad but was never used)

WFALL1-4, BLODGR1-4 and SLADRIP1-3 all exist in Doom2 Iwad and not used. (I don't know why either?) But they can all be used if you want to use new animated textures without the bother of replacing other existing ones.

Ultimate Doomer, how do I load plutonia as a custom wad, from which screen. With Doom2.wad not modified, I can edit my wad and plutonia seperatly, but my wad only displays textures from the Doom2.wad. I've been able to export the wfall textures from plutonia to .bmp files but can't seem to load them to my wad file. I've also been able to temporaraly copy the bfall1-4 textures to the wfall1-4 textures and that works, but the waterfall is red of course.

Please explain this to me like I'm 2 years old.

Ok I was able to do what I wanted so I'll let everyone know for future reference, or so someone can correct me if there's an easier way. After everything I did befor this:

I used a combination of WXE and Wintex. In WXE I was able to load the 4 .bmp files to the wad using "Entry->Load". In Wintex it is calling these .bmp files "Graphic" but WXE doesn't list a type for them. Now those 4 .bmp files are listed in the "Main" window of the .wad file, which reference the files in the "Texture1" Window.

There's an easier way to get the graphics from Plutonia to your wad - the copy/paste feature (under the Edit menu). Copy the graphics to the clipboard, change to your wad and paste them in.

Using XWE, select each of the WFALL graphics then "save as" and it will save them to whatever folder you selected. Just "Load" each of the 4 into your wad from there and you don't need to mess with anything else.