Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

Scythe map 1 / Classic Episode map 1 UV Reality

Hey again,

Well, the SDA update inspired me to get my lazy ass going and record some more stuff as well. :-)

First, the *awesome* Doug/Vince/Jim Scythe demos made me look at Scythe again, first time for a long time. A quick session ended in Scythe map 1 UV reality in 0:25.

--

Also, a special gift to Doug for updating. He suggested a while back I'd try to record some reality stuff for Classic Episode, and while maps 2-9 are probably too hard for UV reality (might try lower skill levels later), map 1 turned out to be possible -- just barely! Watch! A quite exciting demo in my opinion, along with bonus material ;-)... "hilarious" failed attempts.

This one's for you, Doug. *sniff sniff* :-)

Classic Episode map 1 UV reality max in 3:19.

Just noticed that your url points to kth.se

Are you part of the class of 99 on datateknik 180p? :P

I went to kth (t-fys '99) for about a year and a half before I decided to drop out.

Nice scythe demo btw, I'd like to see a few more maps done this way =)

Erik said:
Are you part of the class of 99 on datateknik 180p? :P

Indeed I am. :-)

I went to kth (t-fys '99) for about a year and a half before I decided to drop out.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you went on to bigger and better things to do with your time, than to sit and rot away at Sing-Sing. :-)

Nice scythe demo btw, I'd like to see a few more maps done this way =)

Thanks for the positive comment. I always appreciate feedback (even negative such). And you'll be glad to know I'll try a few more of the earlier ones later.

Reality style was invented by Thomas "Panter" Pilger (I believe it was an obsession with him!). The idea is that you go through the level without taking any damage whatsoever. If you lose any health at all, no matter the reason, you've failed. This includes:

* Being hit by monsters. All monsters, all types of attacks (close-range, shots).

* Losing health to blast radius damage (standing too close to an exploding barrel, or too close to where a Cyberdemon's shot hits a wall, etc.).

* Losing health by going under crushers.

* Losing health by going through nukeage without a radiation suit.

* Any other reason for losing health I've forgotten/left out.

Also, under Thomas's original rules, you could only use weapons 1-5: fists, chainsaw, pistol, shotgun, SSG, chaingun and rocket launcher. No plasma weapons (plasma rifle or BFG). This rule isn't always followed, so you might say, if you only use weapons 1-5 it's "real reality" and if you also use weapons 6-7 then it's "reality" (naming convention is Grazza's idea; he mentioned it in another post to Doomworld some time ago).

Other than that, you can do whatever you want -- provoke infighting, kill everything (or leave everything alive), find all the secrets, etc. If you combine it with e.g. max or Tyson or another style then you call it "reality max" or "reality Tyson" and so on.

Does it sound easy? Try it and find out how insane it is. ;-)

Hope this helps.

Schneelocke said:
Ah, OK. Not getting shot or not taking damage? I.e., would it be OK to get shot while invulnerable?

Yes.

Ah, and now that I have your attention I'd like to plug this ->

http://www.d.kth.se/~d99-kro/demos/reality

Those are all the demos from Panter's old reality site. It's all the levels from Doom 2 done reality style, in the highest skill level he (and another accomplished Doomer, Frank "Jesus" Siebers) could do it and in the fastest time. So some (e.g. map 1) are done in NightMare! and others in skill 1 or 2.. One (map 25) is done -nomonsters, and even then it's very hard (just watch!).

Kristian Ronge said:

if you only use weapons 1-5 it's "real reality" and if you also use weapons 6-7 then it's "reality" (naming convention is Grazza's idea; he mentioned it in another post to Doomworld some time ago).

Actually, I got it from here.

Frank "Jesus" Siebers

It's worth noting that the famous FJS jump on map29 (now used on pretty much all non-TAS speedruns) arose from him seeking a way to avoid taking any damage by stepping in the blood.

Argh! :-/

Right, I forgot about that... I can't remember, maybe I figured the COMPET-N edition was the same as the one in the archives. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll change the .txt file to reflect it.

And thanks for the nice comments, Schneelocke! :-)