Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Disorder

Quake IV scans online

Not sure if this gets me in trouble, if this isn't allowed please delete the link: *REMOVED*

I have to say, quite disappointing. Looks like Doom 3 all over again.

I saw those scans from a link on another forum.

Frankly, I thought it looked bad. Clearly worse than Doom3. I would say the character design was actually better in Quake2.

Overall, the screenshots weren't very flattering, but the last two pages had some nice pics.

Seeing as how Quake IV probably hasn't been in developement for very long, it doesn't surprise me that the screenshots are very unpolished. Perhaps we'll see in an improvement in the following year(s)?

Snarboo said:

Seeing as how Quake IV probably hasn't been in developement for very long, it doesn't surprise me that the screenshots are very unpolished.

In one of the shots is a human character whose head model looks very much like Doomguy in Doom 3 - in fact I think it's the same model. So that confirms the game is far from finished.

That screenshot of the outdoor area with all the flying ships/monsters (it's hard to tell) looks pretty neat. I'm looking forward to it because it's again Raven taking fresh, exciting id Software technology and doing a game that's (hopefully) quite different from the standardised FPS format id seem to have locked themselves into. Raven have got some terrific artists, the leaked concept art from a few months ago still gets me pretty excited when I look at it.

And walking through a Doom 3 engine-rendered outdoor area for more than 30 seconds at a time should be nice.

Is that supposed to be a Strogg on the cover there, and if not, why are his eyes glowing red?

I happen to be pleased with most of the stuff I've seen in those scans.
The new Q4 marine design is imo cooler (the armour is definitely just as cool as the D3 marine's armour design) than the leaked model designs, but I miss the bandolier the other design had and the leaked model's boots were evidently cooler too.

Yes, the models aren't as good as D3's, but that may just be a matter of the early stage that the game is at. When PC Gamer brought a similar preview of Doom 3, the models didn't seem to be quite as crisp as they are now - or maybe it's just me.

Regardless, I'm less concerned about the quality of the models than I am of the design and the design rocks - really serves to recapture the feel of the Quake 2 marine designs and I'm glad to see that for once, the marines don't show off their muscles for a change. Don't get me wrong, exposed muscles are cool and all, but it got old long ago and Id has reused it time and time again.
I was actually happy to see that the Doom 3 marine was no longer a souped up body builder type, but a believable marine.

I am, however, disappointed in a few things in what I've seen/read about in this preview:

1. Choice of weapons to leave in/out: The blaster and shotgun are cool, the inclusion of the machinegun and the discarding of the Q2 chaingun is not. The machinegun is easily the most generic type of FPS weapon ever (been in most FPSs since before Doom and not nearly as cool as e.g. a shotgun) and it was also the most uninteresting/inefficient weapon for its hierarchical rank in Q2 imo.
My last hope here is that the nailgun is actually a chaingun that spits nails, complete with spinup, barrel-whirring and spindown sounds.

2. Weapon designs: The blaster looks like shit - typical gay high-tech Sci-fi blaster. The old blaster was cooler even though it had the shape of a darn toy gun. Then again, maybe the one I'm describing isn't the blaster after all (though I've a hard time seeing what else it would be). I like the fact that the blaster has a flashlight though - good idea. The machinegun is just kinda generic (The D3 machinegun was cool, because its design wasn't an overused one - yeah, it ripped off Halo, but I couldn't care less, 'cause this one has three barrels) and I'm getting really tired of the shotgun-with-pistol-handle design. What happened to the good ol' days when shotguns had a REAL design with a rifle-butt?

Then I'm worried about a few things:

1. Heavy emphasis on squad combat: I've always hated AI team mates ever since Half Life first introduced me to the abomination that is combat-capable (or I guess I should say: "combat-incapable") NPCs. On the other hand, Doom 3's sentry bots used a new approach where the "NPC" (the sentry in this case) went ahead of you instead of humping your ass, occasionally waiting for you.
It worked superbly, except in cases where a monster would appear behind you and the sentry would turn and fire at it, capturing you in the crossfire - but that was fairly easy to avoid.
The sentries were just too powerful. If they could be killed, giving you an actual reason to help them, they might have been a lot cooler.

If they adopt a similar AI style for squadmates, I might not have a beef with it, but even if they do, it worries me because you're probably having at least three guys hanging around you -> more difficult to avoid that they piss you off.

2. Vehicles: Let it be known once and for all that I despise vehicles in FPSs. I could deal with a few vehicles, but it seems Quake4 will have an all-out vehicle emphasis.
Why do I dislike vehicles? Ho-hum, where do I start?
For one thing, I prefer a consistent gameplay type (running around on foot with an interface I'm used to - standard FPS interface) - having vehicles that suddenly morph the game into a combat vehicle simulator does not have a positive effect on my perception of the fun in the game.
Secondly, the interface changes for vehicles, forcing you to get used to the different use of e.g. strafe keys (which are suddenly used to turn the steering wheel of the car). That never fails to annoy me to Hell and back, even if it's simple. The only part in Doom 3 I really dislike and want to get through as quickly as possible is the "service lift ride" in Comm Transfer. Even Doom 3 got tainted by that damned curse of vehicle implementation >:-[

My only salvation here is if Raven somehow innovate the way vehicles are operated/used in a way so that even this here weirdo can enjoy them.

In one of the shots is a human character whose head model looks very much like Doomguy in Doom 3 - in fact I think it's the same model. So that confirms the game is far from finished.

If you're talking about the screenshot I'm thinking of (one where a marine is aiming with a beefy blaster-like pistol at an armoured Strogg) I don't think it is - different haircut (shaved at the sides) and the model is also too far from the viewer to allow us to properly discern facial features.

Danarchy said:

Is that supposed to be a Strogg on the cover there, and if not, why are his eyes glowing red?

Looks like a blaster grunt to me.

dsm said:

1. Heavy emphasis on squad combat: I've always hated AI team mates ever since Half Life first introduced me to the abomination that is combat-capable (or I guess I should say: "combat-incapable") NPCs.

I hate to focus on this tiny little part, but have you played Call of Duty? That game gave squad-AI new meaning and it really integrated well into the gameplay. Half the time you were happy to see squadmates, although at times they could be inept or were easily subdued by the superior number of enemies. Also, in CoD, you were often ordered around more than you were giving orders.

What I'm trying to say is if Raven can manage AI like that in CoD, which I'm sure they could, we won't have to worry about being shot in the back or having an ally roam into our fire. Raven could also remove friendly fire so we don't kill a team member of vice versa. Although not realistic, it would remove the frustration that FF tends to create.

"I hate to focus on this tiny little part, but have you played Call of Duty? That game gave squad-AI new meaning and it really integrated well into the game play."

Well actually in Call of duty they solved that problem by simply sending you the player and say 2 bodyguards off to the side around many obstacles to flank and support your stationary allies who are doing the grunt work of the fighting.

It had very little to do with AI and a hell of a lot to do with clever mapmakers and programmers. In the AIs defense the bots taking advantage of cover was cool at the time.

Same as above, except I've grown fond of Team Fortress and Lithium.

If Q4's online mode isn't another SUPER MEGA ADHD SEIZURE LASERSHOW KILLFEST, I'd consider buying it. All in all, I'd prefer endless play options over "the perfect adrenalin-pumping DM experience". Even there, though, a game is subject to having a majority favorite(imagining the incredible disgust felt by booting up Counter-Strike and flipping through 1536 pages of "dust only" servers).

I just googles up a ton of scans, concept art and models pics and I must say it looks intersting to say the least. Still I like the getto look of the orininal game. Sort of like the parasite action Figure.

I just picked up the latest issue of PC Zone, and it seems they've been given the British exclusive of Quake 4. Their eight page preview seems to cover pretty much everything that's been mentioned here, but I haven't read through it in it's entirety yet. They've also used Q4 for their front cover pic, and it looks amazingly similar to the PC Gamer US cover I linked to above.

BTW I was sure I'd seen that creature somewhere before, and sure enough I was right. It's the spitting image of some of the bad guys from Playstation 2 FPS Killzone.

Snarboo said:

I hate to focus on this tiny little part, but have you played Call of Duty? That game gave squad-AI new meaning and it really integrated well into the gameplay. Half the time you were happy to see squadmates, although at times they could be inept or were easily subdued by the superior number of enemies. Also, in CoD, you were often ordered around more than you were giving orders.

What I'm trying to say is if Raven can manage AI like that in CoD, which I'm sure they could, we won't have to worry about being shot in the back or having an ally roam into our fire. Raven could also remove friendly fire so we don't kill a team member of vice versa. Although not realistic, it would remove the frustration that FF tends to create.

Well that sounds nice, but there's still the issue about vehicles and the more I think about it, the more I doubt vehicles can be done in a non-annoying manner. I wouldn't be concerned if there were a few drivable vehicles here and there (and they aren't always forced upon you), but the review suggests it will be heavily emphasized in Q4.

The squad combat and vehicle stuff might end up being the determining factor that will decide if I'll get the game. It'll suck if it fucks up the game for me, because I like most of what else I see (yeah, the models and skins aren't superb as of now, but that may change).

dsm said:

Well that sounds nice

You really should play more first-person shooters. You make comments about these games all the game, which is fine, but you kind of lack credibility when it's obvious you haven't played many landmark games in the genre.

Quake IV is going to be a tradgedy. ID left the project and is having hardly nothing to do with it. And knowing that raven software is losing it's touch, it's not going to be what we hope it is. And that cover screen shot looks like it's 5 years old.

Lord FlatHead said:

You really should play more first-person shooters. You make comments about these games all the game, which is fine, but you kind of lack credibility when it's obvious you haven't played many landmark games in the genre.

How is it obvious? Are you absolutely certain it's not just a matter of taste?

Just because the majority seems to like something, doesn't mean that everyone in the freaking world likes it.

Ayu said:

Quake IV is going to be a tradgedy. ID left the project and is having hardly nothing to do with it. And knowing that raven software is losing it's touch, it's not going to be what we hope it is. And that cover screen shot looks like it's 5 years old.

Losing it's touch? Since when? The last game they made, Jedi Academy, was more than up to Raven's usual high standards.

Personaly, vehicles are one of my favorite thangs that have been added to FPSes in recent years. My experience only comes in the form of Halo and CS, but they made boring ass deathmatch fun again.

Well i've seen the screenies myself. I love the stroggs and hate the marines and guns. Clearly they've got a while to go.

Pczone say they're getting more hyped up about it than they were with doom 3