Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kinsie

So, how to make Doom 3 maps?

Yeah, I'd like to know how I can make Doom 3 maps. Assume I know nothing about the subject.

If it helps any...
1.) My desktop res is 1280x1024
2.) My only experience with 3D level editors in the past is Duke3D BUILD (which i was, and still am, good at) and UT2004's UnrealEd (which i was kinda crap at, but I knew how to make geometry)
3.) I have Doom 3. :P

So, like, what's better, DoomEDIT or Radient, how do I work said editor, etc. etc.

At the moment I'm only really interested in building simple geometry, as I'd rather start off simple. However, once I get the hang of things I'll ask questions in this topic.

So, yeah. Feel free to just give tips, or link to tutorials, or what-not. I'd be most appreciative.

Aw, I consistantly get this error when I try to download a video, even though I'm logged in.

Could not get user info. Please make sure you are logged in and try again

Any alternatives?

Trasher][ said:
Yeah, I'd like to know how I can make Doom 3 maps. Assume I know nothing about the subject.

If it helps any...
1.) My desktop res is 1280x1024
2.) My only experience with 3D level editors in the past is Duke3D BUILD (which i was, and still am, good at) and UT2004's UnrealEd (which i was kinda crap at, but I knew how to make geometry)
3.) I have Doom 3. :P

So, like, what's better, DoomEDIT or Radient, how do I work said editor, etc. etc.

At the moment I'm only really interested in building simple geometry, as I'd rather start off simple. However, once I get the hang of things I'll ask questions in this topic.

So, yeah. Feel free to just give tips, or link to tutorials, or what-not. I'd be most appreciative.

DoomEdit and Radient is the same thing.

Now to start using the level editor, you'll have to create a shortcut of Doom3.exe.

In the shortcut, edit the target where it says "c:\doom3\doom3.exe add the following parameters:

+r_fullscreen 0 +r_mode 4 +r_samples 0 +vid_restart

r_mode 4 means to run the editor in 1024x768 windowed. You can use r_mode 5 if you want (should be the same size as your desktop resolution.

Editing in DoomEdit is like playing with Legos, the levels are made up of brushes which are cubes that make up the geometry. A simple four side room will require six brushes, four for the walls and one for the ceiling and one for the floor.

To make a brush, click your left mouse button and start dragging in the window with the grid, you should see a box being formed, thats your brush.

There's so much to talk about here, so I recomend checking out doom3world.org.

Look in the level editing forum and find the tutorial listing thread (stickied) and find the basic tutorials.

OK, I'm stupid.

Made a nice little box, I even threw in a crate box brush thing. Anywho, when I put in a light, and turn on Render Mode, there's no light. The entire level is pitch black. I'm SURE there's a solution somewhere, but I can't find it anymore. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind, wasn't building lights or something. Fixed!

just to mention this anyways, make sure the realtime rebuild option is checked when viewing in render mode, that way it will contantly refresh whenever you make changes.

That was my problem, heh.

Hmm, is there any way to stop the player from putting away his gun when he walks up to a NPC? I've had a sadistic idea...

Trasher][ said:
That was my problem, heh.

Hmm, is there any way to stop the player from putting away his gun when he walks up to a NPC? I've had a sadistic idea...

I don't think its possible to do that. However, you may be able to when the sdk gets released..

Trasher][ said:
Aw, I consistantly get this error when I try to download a video, even though I'm logged in.

Any alternatives?

Once you've logged in go to Downloads, then accept the agreement, and then go back to the home page. Now the downloads should work.