Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dancubus

Enemy health bar.

Do you think it would be possible to have an enemy health bar, like after they take damage, a healthbar that decreases with damage pops over the enemies' head. My friend and I thought it would be an interesting thing to do. Any ideas how?

Action Doom uses health bars, but only for the boss monsters. It may get a bit ugly if every single monster used a health bar (especially on maps like Scythe map 30 or nuts.wad).

I think it'd work better like System Shock 2.Have it so it displays the enemies health and such when you have your mouse over it.

doom2day said:

And i thought nuts was crazy enough to begin with.

peanuts aren't that crazy. Kashews, okay, i'll give you that one.

i think it would have to be with mose over. except for the bosses. if there were alot of guys in one room you wouldnt be able to see them. just a bunch of health bars.

doom2day said:

if the fps in nuts.wad was .0056 then with the health bars, it would likely be something like -36 fps!

In case you havn't noticed,Nuts isnt made to run well you retard.Who cares if a mod makes it run worse.

Caco-Puff said:

In case you havn't noticed,Nuts isnt made to run well you retard.Who cares if a mod makes it run worse.

Hahaha

I think a Health bar for bosses would be cool but for all enemies it would be kinda dumb[like the NICW from Red Faction 2]

Caco-Puff said:

On my new notebook, I get an average of about 30 fps on Nuts.wad.

Anyway, this would be a cool feature to have as an option, especially when watching demos, since you could pause the action and go walkabout and see how much health everything has. There was a nice mod for UT called Mind Reader that did something like this (it also gave information about the mode a bot was in, and what its current target was, and so on).

I'm pretty sure this would only be possible in Zdoom. LilWhiteMouse has made some Health Bars that work for bosses and the like, but for every enemy... that would be one complicated script.

doom2day said:

if the fps in nuts.wad was .0056 then with the health bars, it would likely be something like -36 fps!

You would go backwards in time!

Yeah, even though I'm new to editing and such, I think my first project will be maybe changing Berserk packs to goggles that let you see enemy health bars on everything but imps and zombies. It may not be necessary on Souls however. And it would be pretty neat to have some type of arrow or maybe a laser line coming from the monster to see what his designated target is. I really don't know where to start...

There used to be a real good Healthbar that came with the old Version of Doom 4 doom. Too bad it got taken down

Yikes. This is a pretty bad bump. But since it has been bumped, I should mention that Prboom-plus has added this feature. Look through the menus (OPTIONS - GENERAL and five pages in) to find the setting.

Edited by Grazza

Both of these exist and are used on Zandronum servers a fair bit. I can't check at the moment but I can get you links later (or just check Zand).

Edit: 2004 lol. @Equinox24 plz.

Edited by xvertigox

I'm glad there are many options now for enemy health bars and I hope that @Dancubus had the patience to wait 14 years for a satisfactory answer. 

On 9/14/2004 at 9:41 PM, Caco-Puff said:

I think it'd work better like System Shock 2.Have it so it displays the enemies health and such when you have your mouse over it.

Woah - bump. Enabled with mouseover is good. Or, it could show for every monster that has been damaged within the last, say, 5 or 10 seconds. That works without depending on the mouse being enabled, or having to track which monster the mouse is hovering over. Another option is to avoid the health bar, but have the monster "bleed" (spray out blood drops), an amount roughly based on (1 - (current_health / spawn_health)).