Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom2day

I dont understand the importance of demos

what is the importance of a demo? All it is is a video played on doom of someone playing a level. Who just sits there to watch a demo anyways? Can someone explain to me the point of these "demos"

Uh, entertainment? Also, sometimes they can be used as walkthroughs for difficult maps.

Not everyone finds them entertaining. I personally enjoy watching them. It's fun to see what kind of crazy tricks people can pull off. And sometimes they can be a little exciting.

Plus recording demos is lots of fun too.

Quite a few demos are competative where people strive for the optimum run through a map.

There's also demo sets made specifically for a map or mapset, it's good advertising. It also helps on the more difficult maps to see how other people tackle it.

You get to see other peoples playing styles and sometimes new tricks to make things easier.

They are also of importance to level authors, who can see how players tackle the challenges provided.

I also often watch long movie or max runs during dinner, preferably on maps I haven't seen before, to get editing ideas.

doom2day said:

Who just sits there to watch a demo anyways?

I do, for example, and I don't think it's so strange, either. Have you ever watched a football match or something? It's really just the same.

I love to watch demos, especially vanilla doom deathmatch demos. Demos are fun to watch and record. Also, people who make maps can also include a demo of themselves on the map/maps to help show the player how to play the map, or just to kinda show it off. My favorite demo is the vanilla deathmatch demo because I like how nostalgic it is(I am Mr. Oldschool :) ). *sigh* I sure do miss those days...