Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Doom Movie Casting

Urban will play John Grimm, the leader of a special ops team that is at the center of the futuristic action-adventure film. When dealing with alien demons, he is forced to cross paths with the organization responsible for his parents' deaths.

I already smell the suck.

dsm said:

This has lead me to conclude that the Doomguy won't even be in the movie and that this Grimm guy is a different hero (the fact that he's supposedly a Spec Ops in the movie just strenghtens my belief in this).

Here's a thought for you. What if the Doomguy does show up? But rather as a sort of cameo, than in the lead role. Maybe the "Doomguy" from Doom 3 will cross paths at some point with Grimm and his buddies, or something.

In addition, this theory also means the The Rock isn't out of the running for playing the "Doomguy". :P

dsm said:

This has lead me to conclude that the Doomguy won't even be in the movie and that this Grimm guy is a different hero (the fact that he's supposedly a Spec Ops in the movie just strenghtens my belief in this).

Hmm good point. But he's doing Doomguy's work and that's bullshit.

The only way I'll see a doom movie is if it is filmed only in first person perspective, has no dialogue, has a kick-ass status bar at the bottom that lets us see the doomguy's face, and is two hours of non-stop action including finding little red, blue and yellow keys. Anything short of that will just be hollywood trash.

Arioch said:

...forced to cross paths with the organization responsible for his parents' deaths...

Holy Mother of Cliches, Batman! Before you know it, John Grimm's mother was actually a demon. Faced with the knowledge that he has unknowingly commited genocide against his own race, and that he is secretly a human-demon hybrid sent to avenge the death and experimentation of his family, Grimm unleashes the fury of hell on those damn dirty scientists! The final battle is followed by a hardcore scene of Impse to prove that demons are not really our enemies, but really our special friends. :p

heh it'd really kick ass if someone from the doom community wrote the script. i could really see this as one mans point of view of the complete annihilation of earth, along with his buddies. but that wouldn't leave much room for a plot.

exp(x) said:

The only way I'll see a doom movie is if it is filmed only in first person perspective, has no dialogue, has a kick-ass status bar at the bottom that lets us see the doomguy's face, and is two hours of non-stop action including finding little red, blue and yellow keys. Anything short of that will just be hollywood trash.

Stick'in to basics! I'll buy a ticket!

It doesnt matter what the writers come up with, we wouldnt be happy with it regardless. We dont enjoy Doom for its intricate story. We're in it for tthe action (or at least I am). So if the action in the movie is really good, it will essentially live up to the game.

Of course, two hours of action doesnt mean anything if the story sucks, since we're sitting there watching and not actually playing. So the movie, as far as our perceptions go, is most likely doomed to fail no matter what.

Definitely better than the Rock. And also, stfu and quit being mongs. Id approved the god damn movie and script so you should atleast have a little faith.

AirRaid said:

And honestly I still don't know why people are complaining. If the movie was true to their ideas of what it would be like, or "True to the game", it would most definitely be a crap movie. Every little piece of information we hear everyone yells OH NOES IT MUST SUCK HARDER NOW. I wish people would just STFU and wait to like, you know... SEE it before they judge it.

Now now AirRaid, that would be the sensible, logical thing to do. You're on the Internet remember. Sense and logic left the building a long time ago.

It's more than likely going to be bad, because it's based on doom. Movies based on games are bad. Games are fun because they are interactive, as long as they have good gameplay, it doesn't matter if the story is bad. Movies however are non interactive, they rely on good stories to draw the viewer into them (or at least they should, it seems that usually pretty special effects are used instead of a story, but those movies are awful). Doom doesn't have a story, and it doesn't sound like the one it's getting is going to be very good, although I could be wrong. That being said, I'm still going to go see it, no matter what, because it's a doom movie, and I know most of you will do the same. So let's stop complaining, and go see it when it comes out.

Good movies create an impression of interaction. The best movies remove the fourth wall. So do games. In that sense, they're equal.

Jello said:

Doom doesn't have a story, and it doesn't sound like the one it's getting is going to be very good, although I could be wrong.

Supposedly the film is going to be based not on the original Doom but Doom 3, which most definitely does have a story.

a bit of a rant, sorry in advance...

I can’t ever seem to understand why these developers (id including) give away as much detail about their in-development projects as they do. It would seem to me that sales would be much much higher if when these are products are complete, ready to buy or see, that the idea of something fresh and new would be more reason to go out and experience it. And you know it would probably be more rewarding to us all as well – I remember a time when I was younger, with no internet and barely reading about things in magazines, and the games coming out always seemed to be much more new and exciting because I’ve never experienced it. Now, even with Doom 3, it’s just overplayed in my mind long before I get a chance to really get into it. Id is better then most companies though, but after thinking about it really makes no sense to me why ANY info is given away to public. I mean, what the hell do they get from it, it’s not like what we have to say changes the direction much, does it?

SirBardCat said:

heh it'd really kick ass if someone from the doom community wrote the script. i could really see this as one mans point of view of the complete annihilation of earth, along with his buddies. but that wouldn't leave much room for a plot.

...Would probably suck because it would be full of bad in-jokes and Half-Life 2 jabs.

Every little piece of information we hear everyone yells OH NOES IT MUST SUCK HARDER NOW. I wish people would just STFU and wait to like, you know... SEE it before they judge it.

No, it WILL be shit, thats just a fact.

i reckon there is only one director who can do this..Andreas Schnaas!. Come on, with movies like "Violent shit", "Violent shit 2" and "Violent shit 3: Infantry of doom" under his belt, who could possibly be better?, some hollywood twat who wants to make it 'safe' and 'economically viable'. I bet it will be a fucking 12 as well!

Jello said:

It's more than likely going to be bad, because it's based on doom. Movies based on games are bad.

I actually quite enjoyed watching both "Mortal Kombat" and "Streetfighter: The Movie". No story whatsoever, certainly no oscar material, but still entertaining, because of the energetic way the characters and the events are presented. IMO.

Youn said:

a it really makes no sense to me why ANY info is given away to public. I mean, what the hell do they get from it, it’s not like what we have to say changes the direction much, does it?

If no information were given away, how would anyone know what kind of game/movie/whatever to expect, and therefore have at least some idea whether it's the sort of thing they'll want to buy or not?

SirBardCat said:

heh it'd really kick ass if someone from the doom community wrote the script.

If you'd been paying any attention at all, you'd know the script writer IS a Doom fan.

Also, for all those people who think the main character should be called Doomguy in the movie, please do me a favour. Tell one of your buddies you're going to refer to him as Doomguy for the next 48 hours. Them come back here and talk about how utterly retarded it made you feel and all the bizarre looks you got from everyone around you. John Grimm is a bit silly, but it's a hell of a lot better than calling someone Doomguy (where did this come from? It's not in any of the id literature. It's purely a fan invented term). The movie would be a complete laughing stock.

The reason he doesn't have a name in game is because he is supposed to be you. The movie is a different rendering of the story in which you are not involved, so he needs some kind of name.

Remember, this is a movie BASED on Doom, not a movie that's exactly the same as Doom. If you don't like the idea then there's a very simple solution to your problem - don't see it. The movie could very well blow gopher pole as most Hollywood actioners do these days, but Doom and Doom 3 will continue to be great games.

JoelMurdoch said:

Now now AirRaid, that would be the sensible, logical thing to do. You're on the Internet remember. Sense and logic left the building a long time ago.

True, but I still have my right to bitch at retards. :P

I agree with all your points in your other post, too.
In other news, Vinnie Jones as the Doom guy would be absolute hilarity. Purely for the accent.

Now all we need is Angelina Jolie as the female second-in-command/love interest who dies right before the final battle... :P

NiGHTMARE said:

Now all we need is Angelina Jolie as the female second-in-command/love interest who dies right before the final battle... :P

The guy doing the script said there's no love interest, and I'm grateful. It just wouldn't work at all. If the age tag says "contains sex scenes" I don't think I'd see it. The biggest hint of romance I'd want to see would be a quick kiss and/or a dinner invite. Don't get me wrong, there needs to be a couple of female players. I don't want to watch a bunch of sweaty dirty guys for 90 minutes. Sweaty dirty women on the other hand...

AJ is one of the few actors whose sheer presence often makes a movie watchable. Her presence in anything is always welcome, and the moves she learned in Tomb Raider would serve her well. But kill her off? No no no!