Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Doom Movie Casting

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Karl Urban has been cast in the lead role for the Doom movie.

Urban will play John Grimm, the leader of a special ops team that is at the center of the futuristic action-adventure film. When dealing with alien demons, he is forced to cross paths with the organization responsible for his parents' deaths.

Huh.

Thanks go to moviefans.de for bringing this to our attention.

ugh. his parents' deaths? what next? barney the dinosaur is the one causing the invasion? that, or they're all invading from the future rather than hell... oh wait...

DD_133 said:

Oh good god. Can they screw this up any MORE?! Wait, I think they can.

They could, by making Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

Karl Urban is too tall, and I don't know if he has the requisite Badass qualities. But it could be worse.

Damn it, the Doom Marine in Doom is ALWAYS TO BE CALLED "DOOMGUY". No ifs, ands, or buts.

This already sounds like a crockpot full of shit, and that's never a good thing.

god, please tell me the plot is just a rumour. that's such massive bullshit.

they need to have an independant screenwriter do the script. someone who'll write something dark and compelling, not this touchy-feely therapy-group tits crap.

the only thing i can think of that'd be worse is paul anderson directing. no, even worse: joss whedon writing.

I had no idea who Urban was either. Apparently he played one of the Rohan riders in lotr. Maybe someone can make his name link to his imdb page in the newspost?

Mordeth said:

And "alien demons"..? What's up with that? They are either "aliens" or "demons", not both.

My sentiments exactly.

dethtoll said:

they need to have an independant screenwriter do the script. someone who'll write something dark and compelling, not this touchy-feely therapy-group tits crap.

the parent's death thing could be good (though cliche'd) if done right, but I somehow doubt this won't just be a summer or winter blockbuster type deal made to suck in a bunch of cash the first week and then disappear from everyone's mind until the super special extra-spiffy DVD release with an alternative ending and deleted scenes where the Rock shoots first!!

sigh

I knew I recognised him... I saw the picture and i KNEW the face... but couldn't place it until I read the last line of the article.

And honestly I still don't know why people are complaining. If the movie was true to their ideas of what it would be like, or "True to the game", it would most definitely be a crap movie. Every little piece of information we hear everyone yells OH NOES IT MUST SUCK HARDER NOW. I wish people would just STFU and wait to like, you know... SEE it before they judge it.

Cyb said:

the super special extra-spiffy DVD release with an alternative ending and deleted scenes where the Rock shoots first!!

and new dialogue dubbed over using a lot of cussing to make it more "extreme".

i'd like to see an "extreme" version of planet of the apes. "get your hands off me you damn SHITTY ASSFUCK"

AirRaid said:

...Every little piece of information we hear everyone yells OH NOES IT MUST SUCK HARDER NOW. I wish people would just STFU and wait to like, you know... SEE it before they judge it.

Damn straight!

The impression I've gotten is that the Doom movie is following a parallel story to the D3 storyline. Yeah, the movie is based on D3, but not on the storyline in the game.

This has lead me to conclude that the Doomguy won't even be in the movie and that this Grimm guy is a different hero (the fact that he's supposedly a Spec Ops in the movie just strenghtens my belief in this). If I'm right, it's really for the best. I'd hate to see my beloved Doom guy bastardized in a movie. Much better to go with a different lead character while leaving the story open to also including the game's storyline in there somewhere.

I dunno about the rest of you, but this has already made me sleep a little better :-P

The impression I've gotten is that the Doom movie is following a parallel story to the D3 storyline. Yeah, the movie is based on D3, but not on the storyline in the game.

Something like OpFor for HL, you say?

the organization responsible for his parents' deaths

And as far as that is concerned, I don't think it's referring to the UAC. Since he's on Mars he's already working for the UAC. My best guess is that they're actually referring to Betruger's cult. Remember that originally Betruger was supposed to be this cult leader.

This movies going to suck so badly....LEAVE IT TO HOLLYWOOD TO SCEW IT UP! They should get someone from the D3 team or even a really big Doom fan before they do this. They should write the script, and have a bunch of Doom fans (like us) review it. Because right now, this movie's going to bring us into a realm of suckiness that we've never seen to before.

Why get upset. There must have been thousants of rumours involving the 'doom movie' in the last 10 years. All turned out fake/ untrue. Last week The Rock was going to be the Doomguy; this week it's Urban; next week it will be Harrison Ford etc.

It's just gossip...