Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hannibal

Versions of doom...

I was woundering what versions of doom were different. Like are doom and doom 95 exactly the same? Please tell me if some versions of doom are the same. I dont have all of them anymore and id like to get them all.Theres no point to getting all of them if they are the same and i cant remember.

Doom95 is a source port. There are many of them. And most (all?) of them differ in terms of how the engine behaves. However, they all use the same resource files (doom.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad, plutonia.wad, and/or doom1.wad).

There is a useful post here with details about the various official releases.

There is also this, which offers a mass of information about the early releases.

Generally though, the only version of Doom2 and Final Doom that you need is version 1.9 (the final version of each), and for (Ultimate) Doom, you only need the Ultimate Doom 1.9 (the version preceding that was Doom 1.9). All ports are designed to work with these versions of the iwads, and anything that needs the DOS exes to be used (e.g. compet-n) will require that these are the versions used.

sorry for this ugly post, i'm from russia and my english very bad. Where to buy german and french relises of doom 2? I search for it many many years! I'm collected all doom related stuff. Buy through ebay.com, exchange and etc but this versions unavailable :(. I need this relises, help please.

There is no version in German language, though there is a Doom II version which has the label "Version für Deutschland" on the CD and is missing the maps 31 and 32. Merely the manual was translated, iirc. There is really no point in having that version. Maybe the patch for the German version can fix that "problem", I never tried.
If you need Doom in German, some source ports offer a translation. Also you hardly can translate all the slang in the intermission texts.