Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spike

Would YOU see this film?

I'd love to see it. Nothing wrong with showing his human side. Even the most cruel men have their soft spots.

George Steiner wrote in Language and Silence:
We know now that a man can read Goethe and Rilke in the evening, that he can play Bach and Schubert, and go to his day's work at Auschwitz in the morning.

Appearantly we think alike, Spike. =) I was thinking of starting a thread based on the same idea after reading about the film on MSN. Anyway, I would like to see it. I don't know very much about the historical Hitler other than the fact that he was responsible for the death of millions. Understanding the human side of a human monster might better help us understand why such people exist.

I don't understand why people get so tetchy about stating that Hitler had a kinder side.

Isn't it only small-minded people who are afraid, insecure or have something to hide themselves that would seek to deny historical truth just because it is unpallatable to them?

Historical accuracy, whatever it is or means, should never be allowed to be seen as offensive to anyone.

On top of that, you can only call yourself a true scholar or commentator if you are willing to embrace truth.

Yes of course I'd see the film.

A while ago there was a series on telly (I think it was made by Channel 4 Films) called "Hitler: The rise of evil", that portrayed him is being nice sometimes, but having a mad side too, like getting his young neice to run around in stinging nettles and thorns, suddenly threatening to shoot people for no reason ect. I assume this film is a little bit like that

deathbringer said:

A while ago there was a series on telly (I think it was made by Channel 4 Films) called "Hitler: The rise of evil", that portrayed him is being nice sometimes, but having a mad side too, like getting his young neice to run around in stinging nettles and thorns, suddenly threatening to shoot people for no reason ect. I assume this film is a little bit like that

Oh yeah, with Robert Carlysle as Adolf. I missed that one, so I guess i'll have to wait for a repeat :(

Good comments - I largely, if not entirely agree. This film would be very interesting to see (not to mention that Bruno Ganz looks impeccably similar to Hitler)...however, is this going to be released in the U.S. if it hasn't been already?

With all scruples intact, I'd thoroughly enjoy seeing an unbiased movie about Hitler.

It really disappoints me - but doesn't surprise me - that people are scared of figuring out the human side to Hitler.

Yes, we all know the atrocities his regime caused, blah blah blah.....everyone seems to forget he and the Nazis were humans, though, as well as the fact that there were others who did things just as shocking.

its the darker side of humanity, that has repeated history before WW II and well after WW II. its a part of us that we know and fear, yet at the same time feel a desire for it. its what we are. when people see that they get upset, angry or offended by what they see. Hitler may have been mad and twisted but he was human. had things happened differently in his life he would have most lily ended up a normal everyday person.

its the fact that any human can become the next "Hitler" that has people terrified

A human side is good. I don't see why anyone would be critical of that idea. Hell, I'd even love to watch a movie if it portrayed Hitler as the second coming of Christ. In fact I'd probably love to see that.

I'd definitely wanna see it, to find out more about his last few days.

I've heard thr movie's done in a way so that you don't really gain sympathy for him (he's still portrayed as the mass murderer he was).

That sounds like an awesome idea. Dunno why anyone would be opposed to it. Of course, there are people that want to say the Nazis never existed for whatever godawful reason.

I like WWII stuff. I've read a few Hitler biographies and started reading Mein Kampf. Weird shit it is. Should be an interesting movie. It will almost certainly generate as much controversy as the Passion of The Christ, if not more.

Danarchy said:

That sounds like an awesome idea. Dunno why anyone would be opposed to it. Of course, there are people that want to say the Nazis never existed for whatever godawful reason.

my mother was/is friends with a family that brought up their children that way. these kids are doomed to low end jobs basicly.
the can only pass reading and math on any state testing. they cant even tell you the dates of WW II.

POTGIESSER said:

I like WWII stuff. I've read a few Hitler biographies and started reading Mein Kampf. Weird shit it is. Should be an interesting movie. It will almost certainly generate as much controversy as the Passion of The Christ, if not more.

Jesus v.s Hitler.

I've always wanted to say that, but never before has an opertunity presented itself.

The Germans just don't want anything to do with Hitler because it shows a time of weakness in Germany when they couldn't stop the Nazis from taking over. That and they just don't like how Hitler was German. I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with the movie if he was American, French, Italian, British, or of any other nationality other than them.

But, the fact of the matter is, as terrible a person as Hitler was, he was still a human being. Hitler like all people had talents(Public speaking. He influenced massive populations of people to fight for him..) and feelings (hard to believe isn't it?). Unfortunately he used them for the wrong purposes and became the terrible man that we know as the Nazi dictator.

But, yes, I would see this movie. It looks interesting. I've always had a big interest in World War II so I think it would be a good movie to see.

Actually, most German citizens (and many politicians abroad) loved Hitler for what he was doing, up until about the last half of the war. People compared him to Christ, and much of Germany worshipped him for bringing the country out of post-WW1 depression.

Funny enough, Hitler was Austrian.

Jesus v.s Hitler.

In all all-out contest to discover just who has been responsible for more pointless murder down the ages!. Sure Christianity has been around for longer, but Nazis had guns!

S1lent said:

The Germans just don't want anything to do with Hitler because it shows a time of weakness in Germany when they couldn't stop the Nazis from taking over.

rofl, I think not. Fact is, the germans (on the whole) were a bunch of fucking shithead jew hating asshats who willingly followed hitler on his 1939 - 1945 world tour.

Hitler really wouldn't have gotten far if he hadn't had the German people on his side. By demonizing Hitler it's easier to accept the fact that Granny helped kill a few million jews.

darknation said:

Jesus v.s Hitler.

I've always wanted to say that, but never before has an opertunity presented itself.

It doesn't matter who wins, because the jews hate them both.

Anti-Semitism wasn't invented by Hitler. It's been going on for millenia, and seems to be widely accepted my many extremist groups, and is fueled in part by the media. There's always some sort of Jew bashing going on; makes you wonder why it started.

Hitler argued in Mein Kampf that the Jews always scoffed at his ideas as a young one, and he felt their existence was a mockery of pure Aryan race and blood, so he tried to come up with reasons as to why he should have them exterminated. That's more than what some anti-Semitic groups can say.

Whatever circumstances encircled Hitler's 1933-1945 rise and empire, they sure seemed to work.

darknation said:

rofl, I think not. Fact is, the germans (on the whole) were a bunch of fucking shithead jew hating asshats who willingly followed hitler on his 1939 - 1945 world tour.

Hitler really wouldn't have gotten far if he hadn't had the German people on his side. By demonizing Hitler it's easier to accept the fact that Granny helped kill a few million jews.

Public speaking. He influenced massive populations of people to fight for him

You can convince anyone of almost anything if you say it a certain way and he did just that. Hating jews wasn't the only motivation of some of the nazis. There are other ideals of the nazis, their prime one was hating jews though. And once he got enough people to creat a small army, he started forcing people to join his party. I'd say 1/3 of the nazis were there involuntarily.

darknation said:

Fuck, he even wound up with allies on these shores (see the National Front, and now the BNP. Wankers).