Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMer87

The DooMer87 Description of the Laws and Physics of DooM

The Laws and Physics of DooM:

1.Every level has a void-you know that anyway.

2.The void in DooM does not go on forever-i can prove it, but i cant take screenshots.

3.Every DooM level is ROUND.

4.The "uncharted and unmade" territory is the void.

5.Some monsters may enter the void, but they do not attack.(well, some do, according to some peoples.)

6.DooM weapons have hit points. The most powerful(obviously)is the BFG.

7.Monsters have "defense points" which the strongest monster is the Cyberdemon, weakest is the Zombieman.

8.The void does have strange textures and even a starfield(as described in Foofoo's topic of starfields in doom).

9.The only and i repeat, ONLY way to access the void is to turn on noclip. NOTICE: Sometimes, you can enter the void via a very strong force.

10.For example, an imp tries to launch a fireball at you. But by accident, it hits a demon. The demon WILL attack the imp until either one is dead.

11. If that imp had hit some other imp, than the hit would have been ignored. That applies to EVERY monster. NOTICE: Sometimes this WILL occur between the same species.

12.If you go up to a wall with your status bar up, and you shoot your rocket launcher at the wall, you will lose health BUT IF YOU IMMEDIATELY PRESS IDDQD, a "funny" face will appear on your mug. CAUTION: Some peoples are scared by this. NOTICE: In Zdoom and eternity, this will appear quite often. So caution yourselves if you don't wanna be 'scared', kiddies. NOTICE AGAIN: It is called the "ouch" face.

13.If you die, for example, your mug will appear like it keeps on shooting things. But if you die on slime or something not solid, it will not.

14. IN ZDOOM, "funny mug faces" will appear spontaneously during battle. NOTE: It's called officially the 'ouch' face.

15.When you use a BFG in multiplayer and you shoot it at somebody else, it will shoot 2 times. no matter where you point it after your first shot, it will have a "invincible" second shot.

More laws will be added soon. These laws have been edited by DooMer87, me. PM me if you have any more laws to add.

Correction, Zombies fight each other, so do the Spider Masterminds.

Doom levels are not round, the void is.

DooMer87 said:

9.The only and i repeat, ONLY way to access the void is to turn on noclip.

Bzzzzt. Very powerful explosions can blow the player through the wall.

DooMer87 said:

10.For example, an imp tries to launch a fireball at you. But by accident, it hits a demon. The demon WILL attack the imp until either one is dead.

11. If that imp had hit some other imp, than the hit would have been ignored. That applies to EVERY monster.

15.When you use a BFG in multiplayer and you shoot it at somebody else, it will shoot 2 times. no matter where you point it after your first shot, it will have a "invincible" second shot.

10. Not if you've hit the demon first and the fireball fails to put the demon in its pain state.

11. This is only true for projectile attacks. Hitscan damage can cause infighting among any species.

18. This is not limited to multiplayer.

Scuba Steve said:

That was fixed (I think) in ZDoom, at least for projectiles. AFAIK this happens when the object travels faster than the logic checks for collision. Or something like that.

In any case, there are ways for the player to get into the void without using any cheat codes.
1) A player start can be placed in the void.
2) A player can become a ghost (I've recorded some demos illustrating this - there's also the all ghosts bug in Doom(2).exe).
3) Presumably some types of map errors can allow the player to reach the void.

As I indicated in another thread, the space in which Doom takes place seems to have the topological features of a torus, not a sphere.

The BFG's operation is described in detail in the well-known BFG FAQ (details confirmed as accurate following the release of the Doom source code).

The "Ouch" face was discussed in the rome.ro forums.

Also, the "funny" face was due to some bug I remember reading about. If I remember correctly, it was supposed to come up as a face of shock if the player takes a great deal of damage in a single hit, but instead, it only appears if the player regains a certain amount of health immediately after taking damage. I've only seen this happen without the rocket-iddqd method in E1M3 where there is a medkit inside of a nukage pit. I'd fall in to grab the medkit, and because I took damage from the nukage and took the medkit right after, the shocked face appeared. In other words, the reason you see the face is because you just took large amounts of damage from the rocket launcher, then immediately brought your health back up to 100% with iddqd.

Also, the doomniverse isnt round, or a torus, whatever that is. All the quirks of the "void" are caused by the math that runs the doom engine, screwing up. By having the player inside a nonexisting sector, weird shtuff happens, and a lot of the edge of the void errors, where it loops from one side to another, is caused by the coordinates of the player accidentally looping because it reached its limit.

I understand it's fun to refer to it as an uncharted region, and discussing doom physics, but really, you guys are reading way too much into this.

Note: I'm not 100% sure of why the shocked face was placed in the game, and if the means in which it appears was the intended way, or not, but I do know how you make it appear.

The "funny" face is the ouch face, and the link I gave provides detailed information about it, as well as a comment from John Romero himself.

As for the topology of the Doom space, I'm not reading anything into it. It's just that coordinates wrapping around in this way (whatever the cause) give it those mathematical properties.

Has anyone got 2 Bulldog demons to fight each other???

I did a couple of times,once in E2m7.I had god mode on and 2 Demons were biting me.I moved away then one of them bit the other then they started munching on each other.

You can get that "funny" or ouch face in MAP20. From the start, you run right, into the blood and run into the pit in the blood with the lava and get the soul sphere (I haven't done this for ages, maybe new source ports turn it off, I don't know).

That's just one way I know, there must be others. I hardly ever get it otherwise.

I think that "funny" face happens when ever you take a lot of damage from something that hit you in the back. Ive been hit in the back by a baron and its happend before.

Darkbolt said:

I think that "funny" face happens when ever you take a lot of damage from something that hit you in the back. Ive been hit in the back by a baron and its happend before.

Oh Ive seen that before.I refer to it as the "Shock" Face though since Doom Guy has a Surprise expression on his face.

Sigh

It's called the "ouch" face because the graphics are called "STFOUCH" in the WAD.

Here is how the ouch face works so pay attention:

The way the ouch face was intended to work is that anytime you get damaged more than 20 health points at a time, the OUCH face gets shown. But due to a bug in the code, what ended up is that it only shows when you get hurt and end up with 20+ health points MORE than when you started. This is usually accomplished by being hurt and picking up a soulsphere/whatever at the same time.

Yes, Zdoom and Eternity have changed it to the way it was intended to work (as sort-of confirmed by Romero, in that link I gave above).

Even though this is a genuine bug fix that doesn't impact gameplay, I for one find it disconcerting, having grown accustomed to the ouch face being a *good* sign.

DooMer87 said:

The Laws and Physics of DooM:

5.Some monsters may enter the void, but they do not attack.

Dont know if anyone else seen this but I think is weird.
I was running around in a map i made myself with fast monster,respawn monster and iddqd. Then I met this hell knight who i cant seem to kill. When i moved away, he actually walked right into the void following me! Just for fun, i turned off iddqd and he killed me instantly. Is it a bug or something?
(I was using Doom95.exe)

This post by Quasar might help in understanding what is going on. DooMer87's post, uh, contains several inaccuracies.

BTW, I made a test map that included the entire monster population of Nuts.wad (copy/pasted without any sectors), just a single 2x2 sector at coordinates (0,0) with a "damage/exit when health <10%" floor, and a player start at coordinates (-32767, -32767). I was attacked instantly by a demon bite, and exited the map, even though the relevant monsters and sector were an enormous distance away.

Grazza said:

Even though this is a genuine bug fix that doesn't impact gameplay, I for one find it disconcerting, having grown accustomed to the ouch face being a *good* sign.

I agree, I know that it's "supposed" to show up, but getting hurt for more than 20 health at a time is such a relatively common occurrence, especially in Doom 2 with the stronger monsters, that you end up seeing it all the time. If it was something like losing 80 health at once, I dunno, it would seem better.

DoomDan said:

Has anyone got 2 Bulldog demons to fight each other???

lol
aside from that trick...it might be possible with barrels

Grazza said:

As for the topology of the Doom space, I'm not reading anything into it. It's just that coordinates wrapping around in this way (whatever the cause) give it those mathematical properties.

Oh PLEASE grazza. Im sick of this. The doomniverse it round, theres a strange force in the center of it, and theres some powerful magican troll God who guards its secrets. Theres also other alien civilisations in the void. I, myself, will go back into the void again and again and again until i find the magican troll God and bring back screenshots. If i never find him, then i'll walk forever. Can't wait to see your face go red when im hauling in the screenies.

Anyway, the void's quirks are mostly because it isnt a sector. Many of the "no attacking" or whatever glitches might be because the monster came from one sector, and you left from another. I've found that the void holds many of the properties of the last sector you left, for example, if you go into a damaging sector, and then leave into the void, you'll continue taking damage. So, the game probably tells the imp or whatever that it cant see you, because it's in sector X, and you're in sector Y, even though you're right next to eachother. See? Demons and humans CAN get along!

Foofoo said:

Oh PLEASE grazza. Im sick of this. The doomniverse it round, theres a strange force in the center of it, and theres some powerful magican troll God who guards its secrets. Theres also other alien civilisations in the void. I, myself, will go back into the void again and again and again until i find the magican troll God and bring back screenshots. If i never find him, then i'll walk forever. Can't wait to see your face go red when im hauling in the screenies.

what the HELL are you talking about?!

I made a map with no sectors and nothing except for me and a cybie.

You start off facing the cybie. It doesn't move, until you shoot. You can even walk through it before you shoot it.

After you shoot it, it follows you. But it takes no damage - the bullets just don't phase it. IDFA yourself a BFG and the shot will pass right through it (also leaving an annoying green HOM BTW) and that does no damage either.

The cyber does not shoot you, ever, it just walks into you, then turns around and walks into you again, then turns around. It never shoots.

Some very weird things happenin' here.

Does anyone have info on how long it takes for a walk in the void to wrap around to the other side? Is it the full viewing field in WadAuthor perhaps?

Scuba Steve said:

So can setting the player's mass to 1.