Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

Pogs, Pokemon, baseball cards and doom

every age has its fads, or several fads, that seem very stupid when you look back. while doom wasn't really a fad it held more intrest than any of those during my childhood. baseball cards seem to rise and fall, magic was the "pokemon" of my time, and there were pogs. stupid round disks which you collected and stacked, objective was to knock them over with a "slammer" atleast thats how i think it goes. 90% of these little disks didn't matter to me, but there was this one series. a series called "slugs". these depicted Violent "itchy and scratchy" like cartoons, many were very violent. They animated themselves useing that riged plastic and 2 frames. may favorite was "roadkill rabit" showed a cute rabbit and the next scene showed a card wheel crushin him, with guts and brains and blood. That series was all about random and horrible violence. I would go down to the corner store and buy a pack every week. Then we heard about season 2, a new series of slugs. however it never came, either parents bitched or the company went pot. the originals where pulled from the shelves and never seen agian. 2 years later pogs dropped off the face of the earth. pokemon emerged when i was in highschool.

like most adults i look back on those fads and think how dumb they where. However i do remeber having fun doing it. anyone else here remeber pogs and or remeber the slugs?

ive still got all my pogs, including slugs. and there was a series 2 i think, cuz its drawn differently and more descriptively than the first ones.

Pogs were pretty intresting. I still have all of mine, and i only got em since they looked pretty cool. I remember some like Anti-poison and bugg-eyed all very cool looking.
I used to collect pokemon cards too, since a lot of my friends had them. I dont even regret having them either cause in the future they'll probably be worth a LOT more then what they are now.

I've got about 5 editions' worth of Garbage Pail Kids. Soft-Boiled Sam was my favorite, and is apparently worth the most.

I remember when Yo-yos were a Big Fad when I was in 4th grade.I still got all my pokemon cards as well[All 400+ of them]

Doom was a godsend. Pogs and pokemon were a cancerous lump in my childhood.

Still got some dbz movies and music vids (in fact i'm pretty ok with dbz).

fucking baseball cards...I have 10s of thousands of the fuckers. Mostly late 80's early to mid 90's. Managed to aquire a number of valuable ones though.

Quast said:

fucking baseball cards...I have 10s of thousands of the fuckers. Mostly late 80's early to mid 90's. Managed to aquire a number of valuable ones though.

Keep them. They'll be worth a fortune later on. Pokemon comes and goes but Baseball cards will always have value.

Well, like I said, I have a shitload. I haven't gotten rid of them and don't plan in it. But I wouldn't mind dumping the commons from crappy series. Those hardly ever worth shit. Plus any highly valuable ones I do have are separated already.

STAMP COLLECTING OWNZ!!!1

Anyway, i remember Pogs, they where popular in Britian when Series 1 came out (i got my first set off the Beano, heh. I always wanted "Chargrinned", but never got it),then series 2 came out, then "Pog around the world" or something, but by that time they where a sideshow. Also there where the shit imitations, like "Slammer whammers", and these other ones that came out of crisp packets, which could be slotted together into wierd structures. Also my corner shop had really cool ones with designs like snakes coming out of skulls in pools of blood ect, which came out of these vending machines along with a ball of gum, plus the containers had that cool 'oldskool tictac box' plastic that would shatter like glass. I loved filling those containers with talcum powder and chucking them up on the roof of the house. By the time Pokemon came out i was too old for that. Though i do remember the Digimon tamagotchi-like pet, which 'arrived' in Britian YEARS before Pokemon, and YEARS PLUS A FEW MONTHS before any other Digimon stuff, like the cartoons.

Heh, I used to play pogs. I ditched them all except a couple slammers, my favorite one is one that says The Slammer and shows a picture of OJ Simpson behind bars. ;D I used to have a ton of Magic and Star Wars cards, but I ended up giving those away. I have a hugeass colection of Star Trek cards which is probably worth like $500 or so. If I ever get a checking account, I'll sell them on eBay.

I still have my pogs. :D I remember back in about grade 1 they were real popular around here. I used to make a profit by selling baseball/hockey cards, which was always a fun thing. :D Pokémon cards I got a lot of, and I still have 'em. And I whip 'em out every now and then and flash them to show how cool I am. :D Doom I still play, so I wouldn't really call it a fad or whatnot. :D As I also still play Pokémon and watch it. :D

I remember when people at my elementary school would yell out "Scramble!" and start chucking pogs all over the place so they could watch people fight for them.

back when i bought quake 3 i saw 2 kids fighting over the last pack of pokemon cards. i mean really fighting, as if it was fucking gold or something. one mother looked horrified and was yelling stop. the other just kinda watched.

honeslty i would spank my kid right then and there, no matter how old they were

Sephiroth said:

back when i bought quake 3 i saw 2 kids fighting over the last pack of pokemon cards. i mean really fighting, as if it was fucking gold or something. one mother looked horrified and was yelling stop. the other just kinda watched.

honeslty i would spank my kid right then and there, no matter how old they were

Kids in my elementary school would literally get into fights because some kid stole another kids pokemon card.Most kids out there are really dumb nowadays and try to make themselves look tougher then they actually are.

yea, and i have seen kids fight over pogs, magic card (those by far are the best to see someone fight over) baseball cards and other things.

back to magic cards. not to make a sterotype but when 2 fat redneck nerds fight, or i mean try to fight, its very funny and sad at the same time. like shooting a clown i guess.

simply as the name suggest. they where both rednecks and nerds. a kind of odd mix but very real.
neither was very clean, always smelled bad and talked about computers, magic and hunting all the time. the got into a number of fights, ok they mostly got beaten, for makeing racist comments.

POTGIESSER said:

I remember when people at my elementary school would yell out "Scramble!" and start chucking pogs all over the place so they could watch people fight for them.

My cousin told me it was common practice at his school (we where both in our last year of Primary (elementary) school when Pogs where big) was to knock somebody's pogs out of thier hands (they often kept them in flimsy recycled butter containers or similar things) so people could grab them, it never happened at my school though, though me and my brother did plan on doing it to get my favorite one off this kid, but never did.

I remember GoGo's, which where like these wierd plastic things you threw against a wall to see which way up they landed. They where supposed to be "The next Pogs", but where never as popular, probably cause it was like £2 for a pack of two, you used to get 15 pogs for like 50p