Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

lan parties

i just had a small one playing doom and unreal tounament. It kicked ass. we used my friends basement and made a small network of computers, only 4. at first it did not work, we have done little net working, but after 4 1/2 hours we got it. then we played the original doom, zdoom and finally unreal. i am thinking of doing it agian but with more people and more games. saddly we dont have the money to hold a compition but it is a fun idea. it would be cool if we got ID to host it and we all played doom3 before the rest of the world got to even see it, but that would never happen.

That would be sweet...but oh well.
I just played Unreal Tournament last night with my brother over a Lan setup and it was awesome. Never played Doom on a Lan though but that must kick ass. I've been running a ZDaemon server off and on for awhile and that's a lot of fun. It's so easy to set up ZDaemon and I think more Doomers should check it out and run thier own servers. For some reason theres only somethin like 10 to 15 or sometimes less, servers running at any given time. You'd think there would be many more.

Guest Fanatic

Hell yeah dude! DOOM on a lan is super fun. We played DOOM/New Breed deathmatch levels and regular DOOM2 levels, then Quake 1, then Quake 2. It was a blast. :)

I need to do that again sometime.

Hm, yeah, if only I could get my network working...

It's been 4 months and I just gave up. Hopefully when I get the NT server for the cable internet running it'll be functional again. I had a problem setting up internet connection sharing: seems the cable provider doesn't like two network cards in the same computer, and whenever the 2nd card is in, it won't connect to the internet. I'm not plugging in and taking out network cards every time I want to use the home network/cable internet, so no home network for now :(

Hopefully an NT proxy server can fool the thing. I've been thinking about getting a router box as well, one which would assign each computer individual IP addresses for it's subnetwork, but would have it's own IP as well so that all the computer could feed off the cable line. May be the best thing to do. I could go for some wireless cards as well... unfortunately they only come in PCMCIA-adapter form as far as I know.

LAN PAAARTYYYY !

seriosly, man, these Lan gatherings are the best...I'm doing this for 3 years now...and it's very funny..I'm allways sweating when I play "Dead Simple" with 3 of my friens...the feeling is beyond words.

Back when I was using my Win2K server box to handle internet sharing all I needed to do was assign an internal IP to one NIC on the win2k box, an internal IP to each of my other computers, let DHCP assign an IP to the external NIC interface on the Win2K box, and enable sharing over the internal interface. It's a bit tougher in NT4 -- Win2K basically has a beefed-up ICS (you'll remember this from Win98SE) and NT4 doesn't have that. I prefer a NAT solution to a proxy solution. With NAT your internal boxes could care less how to connect to the internet, your NAT box handles IP source mangling.

Currently I'm using a Linux box for internet connection sharing, using the 2.4 kernel plus netfilter, which works admirably well. I can even set up game servers from behind the firewall that run on my win32 boxes. (I could do that from Win2K as well, but I wanted Linux experience, and more importantly I wanted my very own shell account from which to IRC using BitchX)

I would not recommend a router-hub box (such as those little Linksys blue boxes that shares a net connection for you) unless you really have no other options.

That sounds like a good setup, except the NT server I have I got for free; it's only a dual-Pentium Pro 200 with 128MB RAM and a 2.1GB hard drive, and most likely won't run Win2K very well. I don't intend on spending very much money on this, in fact it should be working right now except that the cable company is a bitch and doesn't let the computer online with more than one network card. I know my setup with two is fine because I tested it on the network at work and it worked great. Also, my main computer uses Win95, Win98 and Win2K... it's an odd setup: I have three main system drives with those OS's that I alternate when I want, and a 4th drive which is always D: that I keep the data on. The thing is that if I configure my main box with the Win2K setup you described, when I want to use any of the other OS's on in, it's not gonna work, so the NT server would always have to be the main ICS/proxy box. I really don't use Win2K on it the main box much anyways except when I'm working on audio applications, in which case it'll take advantage of the dual-processors. Usually Win95 with a single processor is the same speed or faster than Win2K with both, plus I need it for all my old games. As far as I know, most of those older games use IPX connections so I don't think a Linksys or DLink box would screw anything up too bad, although I already bought a 6-way hub and don't plan on buying another.