Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Anyone going to play the Doom 3 demo, even though they have the full retail?

I'm downloading it just to try it. Yes I know it's no different from the actual retail really, but for some reason I'm compelled to play it.

I have the retail. I downloaded it. It's a good demo. They definitely picked the right levels and they changed a few MINOR things in the demo. But, I don't think I'll keep it.

Ya I downloaded it and it seemed like it was pretty much the same as the retail but a few minor changes, for some reason the demo seemed to feel like it ran smoother then the retail. Maybe the demo is updated with the patch we are about to get from id and that's why?

I would assume so. I dont see why they would make a patch then release the demo with old code.

Anyway I downloaded it.

Hell ya, I'll play it. But it have to come out on a PCgamers demo disk. I'm not EVEN TRYING to D-load that bigass thing!

It'll be a perfect opportunity to TEST it on my cuz's PC. His machine is pretty current but his V-card is questionable. My PC won't run at all, to old school. And if it runs to my satifactory, I will buy it and just play it on his.

Like i said in the other post, i have the actual game and i cannot play it right now since the comp lacks the requirements, so for me getting the demo is pointless.

If my comp could run it I dont think i would play the Demo anyway.

Alientank said:

Ya I downloaded it and it seemed like it was pretty much the same as the retail but a few minor changes, for some reason the demo seemed to feel like it ran smoother then the retail. Maybe the demo is updated with the patch we are about to get from id and that's why?

less texture memeory meakes for less swapping, the demo is smaller

i might download it if i hear theres anything important about it... i got the hd space fucit

Wobbo said:

less texture memeory meakes for less swapping, the demo is smaller

i might download it if i hear theres anything important about it... i got the hd space fucit

What difference does it make? It has all the textures required for the first three levels and it only loads the textures it loads, not the ones for the entire game, so your arguement holds nothing. I think it might just be because of the fact that it's possibly upgraded with the new patch.

I downloaded the demo, installed it, played it, beat it, and uninstalled it.

I just wanted to see if they changed anything or made anything different just for the demo. Often times companies will do that to make the game more appealing (as if Doom 3 isnt' appealing enough). And I was right, they did change some stuff from the original game.

I'm going to dl the demo and burn it to a CD so I can have something to do when I'm bored and sitting in a computer lab on my college campus.

All the computers on campus are (mostly) Dell P4s with integrated Intel graphics. Considering that's what was in my Dimension 2400 before I swapped out the motherboard for one that had an AGP slot, I'm curious how badly the game will run. :P But even if I have to turn the settings down all the way, it's better than sitting here bored.

Alientank said:

What difference does it make? It has all the textures required for the first three levels and it only loads the textures it loads, not the ones for the entire game, so your arguement holds nothing. I think it might just be because of the fact that it's possibly upgraded with the new patch.

no, thats false, the texture *SWAPPING* causes the slowdown, after a few levels

the textures dont magically go away from your memeory when theyre not in use, just like hardrive deleetion, it doesnt actualy remove data, just marks it for overwriting

also, if you pay close attention the demo proabably does NOT use excactly the same amount of textures and items from the full game

you really should be careful you know what your talking about before you make arguments like that

DamienC said:

I'm going to dl the demo and burn it to a CD so I can have something to do when I'm bored and sitting in a computer lab on my college campus.

All the computers on campus are (mostly) Dell P4s with integrated Intel graphics. Considering that's what was in my Dimension 2400 before I swapped out the motherboard for one that had an AGP slot, I'm curious how badly the game will run. :P But even if I have to turn the settings down all the way, it's better than sitting here bored.

weird we aren't allowed to play games on my college campus

DoomDan said:

I think its kinda pointless to download a demo if people already own the full version.Waste of Memory IMO

DoomDan said:

I think its kinda pointless to download a demo if people already own the full version.Waste of Memory IMO