Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DoomDiz

D3 on a crummy laptop?

no.... not at all

Doom III is too much for most any laptop you can buy. doom III also needs 64MB of video memmoy. i have also heard there is poorer preformance on normal desktop 5200 cards.

it may be possible but i dout it would be worth it.

I installed Doom 3 on my IBM Thinkpad R50 (1.6Ghz Centrino CPU, 512MB RAM, ATI FireGL T2 128MB) yesterday. Even at 640x480 with all settings set to low, framerates were between 10-25fps in singleplayer and 20-35fps in multiplayer. I guess it's a CPU thing.

yea, probly....this guys got a p4 2.8ghz HT or something to that liking.....it kicks some serious ass...

I wouldn't even think about playing Doom 3 on any laptop that doesn't have at least a Mobility Radeon 9000 with 64mb RAM (which would probably run okay at 640x480 low detail), preferrably a Mobility 9600 Pro or 9700 Pro. I know a guy who gets a decent framerate on his IBM Thinkpad (I think it's the T21? I don't remember) with a 9600 Pro 64mb card playing at 640x480 low detail.

My folks and I are splitting the bill for a new laptop for myself for christmas. Right now Cyberpower Inc.'s Xplorer X64-8000 is looking pretty good... Athlon 64 2800+, 512mb PC2700 DDR RAM, Mobility Radeon 9700 Pro, and a free copy of Far Cry for $1253 (I opted to save $32 by not adding a wireless NIC). That's probably the cheapest 9700 Pro laptop I've found, and I've been looking around for about a month now. Doom 3 should run quite well on it. :D

Take a look:
http://www.cyberpowerinc.com

laptops are not for gaming. if you want a gameing rig just stick with a desktop system.

most mobility cards have some features removed or are underclocked compared to the desktop version. so even if your ATI 9000 pro runs fine on your desktop i dout you will get much out of the mobil

as i said laptops are not ment for gaming. laptops are made to get most out of batteries and to keep as cool as possible. doom III and other games would push this. some laptops can run doom III fine, however you need to remember the specs

also not ANY videocard will work. needs to be EITHER nvidia or ati, or a card based on those chipsets. intel, sis, trident and others WILL NOT run doom III. most laptops have these, and a number of low end premade boxed systems.

also price, you can spend the $3000 on a gameing rig laptop or you could spend much less and build yourself a nice standard gaming PC.

WHOA!!! I just had a look at this laptop, and nothing makes sense. It really does run D3!!! Its a $1500 Inspiron....with that crappy 32mb GeForce......the guys got it running on low quality, but with all the features turned on, as well as anti-aliasing....[insert massivly shocked face here] it runs about 20 fps......man, computers are wierd...

My Acer Travelmate 4001WLMi (P-M 705, 512MB, 64MB Mobility Radeon 9700) handles D3 just right at 640x480 high detail.

Oh come on, I've seen my Duron run the leaked alpha, and that was back when I had a GF2MX... at 400x300, but still! Now I have a 128MB 5200 and I'm pretty sure it'll do fine at 640x480.