Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nmn

Weapons In Progress (practice yer skills)

Andy Tran said:

Here's a wep I did months ago. C+C please.

I'm not an artist or anything. But probably this gun has the best perspective among all previously presented.
If you had given more info on what this weapon is (since I only see it now as a melee wapon or some kind of wicky photon blaster), we could tell you more.

@Andy-nice gun. It looks a bit too small, more like a part of a gun than an actual gun. Try giving us more info.

@Kristus-nice weapon, I like the laser sight. It's wide makes it a bit too blocky, though.

@ellmo-I am NOT going to go into perspectvie disucssions AGAIN. Drawing angled weapons allows to put more details and fancy stuff into them, as Scuba mentioned many times. I agree with that.

Nmn said:

@Kristus-nice weapon, I like the laser sight. It's wide makes it a bit too blocky, though.

I think it's rather an instruction how to do a proper weapon perspective, rather than a laser-sight :P
But IMhO even that weapon Kristus presented, isn't fully parallel with that red line.

Drawing angled weapons allows to put more details and fancy stuff into them, as Scuba mentioned many times. I agree with that.

Did I say anything wrong about angled weapons? I just said that Andy got the right perspective. I hate to say it, but it was you, my dear Paul, who had recently stated, you will draw centered weapons for The Project, and I said they suck.

ellmo said:

I think it's rather an instruction how to do a proper weapon perspective, rather than a laser-sight :P

I suggest people speak what they want to express instead of posting the picture without a word. I'm TIRED of guessing what people mean by such moves.

ellmo said:

but it was you, my dear Paul, who had recently stated, you will draw centered weapons for The Project, and I said they suck.

With all the respect I have for you ellmo, I was just kidding :|

looking at all these great weapons just makes me wanna make guns, But i am crap at making damn guns and that is that

is there any scripts for these weapns so people can use them in their maps?

- sausage -

Nmn said:

@Andy-nice gun. It looks a bit too small, more like a part of a gun than an actual gun. Try giving us more info.

Thanks for the advice and comment. It has helped improved me lately that you guys have been encouraging me. My perspective sucks really, I don't really know where the gun really points at Lol. Like the color theory I've used, it was all derived from the knowledge I learned from nmn's crits. I should make it bigger, the gun is way too small. Yes, bigger. Looks like a part of a full body weapon. I'll get to that. I was hoping for a tutorial on weapon design someday, since I am no good at weapon anatomy.

Nmn said:

I suggest people speak what they want to express instead of posting the picture without a word. I'm TIRED of guessing what people mean by such moves.

Yeah... it was one of them Kristus' puzzles.

With all the respect I have for you ellmo, I was just kidding :|

Thank heavens then :P
[ellmo:0 Paul:1]

Andy Tran said:

My perspective sucks really, I don't really know where the gun really points at Lol.

Hey, I wasn't ironic. I really meant your gun was perfect at perspective. I'm afraid that any of the improvements in this case will only make it look worse.

i am doing a gun right now, ill send it in soon:)

any help with them will Easily be accepted

- sausage -

*sorry for double post*

Here is the gun i conjured up, Really crappy but hey,
i am learning =D

any suggestions, help What ever, Just tell me
Feedback accepted :) ( Even if the whole lot is Crap to me..... )

- sausage -

sausage said:

*sorry for double post*

i am learning =D

- sausage -

its really not that bad, you have the right idea of where you are going, however, you should really learn perspective, and instead of adding just lighting and shine, you should add darker shading on the different parts of the weapons, and then add scratches and dirt or something. also, it would be great if you learned to use the magic wand and selection tools to do the various smoothing and shading/lighting.

im fixin to go make a new weapon tonight. go look at it later.

Erm, My gun sucks....

But that gun corrupt, well, Just want to know if it is a bfg or plasma gun or something......

But all the shading blending is soo cool,

i can't do that ;-)

- sausage -

sausage said:

i can't do that ;-)

With enough practice, I'm sure you could. :D Sprite art is a very hard thing to master, but as you continue working on and making new things, you start to pick up certain tricks.

kristus said:

A picture say more than a thousand words.

Yes, when you know what the author wanted to say by it and I will not waste time guessing the meaning.

@Sausage-not bad per a first time attempt. Perspective is off. Get that tutorial I linked to and learn how parralel lines go off into a vanishing point.

@Corrupt-very nice, although the "quick reflections" make it a bit cartoonish. Maybe a single specular (white dot) would do the job better. But the design is quite cool.

Thanks for the enthusiasm.

Before i read what you lot Just said i have made a gun,
A Flamethrower:

Hope you like it..... ( i dont much... )

- sausage -

sausage said:

Erm, My gun sucks....

But that gun corrupt, well, Just want to know if it is a bfg or plasma gun or something......

But all the shading blending is soo cool,

i can't do that ;-)

- sausage -

thanks for the comments sausage, im not sure what it is, but im sure someone will come up with an interesting use for it. i was thinking of the name "ATOM SHREDDER" it fires a big projectile and when it enters a room of enemies, they all turn into dust. although widely overpowered! ;) and you CAN do that. All i did, was use the magic wand to select the different areas of the weapon, then u used the brush to create the lighter and darker streaks to make the reflective effect. its easy! anyone can do it! all you have to do is learn perspective.

Nmn said:

@Corrupt-very nice, although the "quick reflections" make it a bit cartoonish. Maybe a single specular (white dot) would do the job better. But the design is quite cool.

i agree totally, i should go back and add a specular. more details and scratches, etc. will be added also. thanks for the comments Nmn,

-----------------

@sausage- that flamethrower is ok, your much better than i was when i started! :)

im gonna go make a weapons tut. i havent got anything better to do!!! :)

sausage said:

*sorry for double post*

i am learning =D

- sausage -

I like it. It needs contrast though. Make the highlights very light but not white. Heh, that rhymes. When you blend, don't blend it too smoothly so it appears gradient like. Add tons of details like textures, folds, bumps, etc to add details. Use sel out for the outlines, you got it!

Thanks for the nice feedback :)

@andy tran - i am pretty sure i am not very good at this graphics buisness....

.. i have been using macromedia fireworks, it is a layer based image editor.

@corrupted marine - well, you have confused me completely, if you get macromedia fireworks and have a look at it, Tell me what to do with the magic wand..

- sausage -

Ezxariarch said:

Here's a new Plasma gun. I bascially just combined the Classic Doom plasmagun with the one of Doom64. Came out looking rather odd, but i guess it's workable. I need to fix the second frame, but the over thing is still useable.

Hey! Looks sweet!
But more like a Tesla rifle, or something electric, rather than plasma launcher.

Ezxariarch said:

Here's a new Plasma gun. I bascially just combined the Classic Doom plasmagun with the one of Doom64. Came out looking rather odd, but i guess it's workable. I need to fix the second frame, but the over thing is still useable.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8160/deplasmagun8qq.gif

i like where you are going with replacing the old weapons with cooler looking ones. so far, so good! i think it looks great!

seems to me that your trying to blend the old weapons with the ones from Doom64. am i right??? :)

heres a screen featuring my newest weapon created in my tutorial:

Corrupted Marine said:

seems to me that your trying to blend the old weapons with the ones from Doom64. am i right??? :)

Kinda. I'm just remaking all the weapons and making them look more consistent with my other custom weapons that i added to my wad (they are all on the thread on Zdoom). I'm taking ideas from several places. For the plasmagun, I took the idea from D64 because i thought that one was pretty cool. I'm getting inspiration from games like Quake, Doom64, and Doom3. I'm working on the BFG right now, and it's based on the Doom 3 one mixed with some classic doom and some ideas of my own.