Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MasterOFDeath

My first released demo

Recently I decided to get more into demo recording. I decided just to do a simple demo of me on map29 and most of map30 of doom2(I got flooded by demons and the rocket timing always gets me). Its not a speedrun or a maxkills, a bit of both actually. I tried to hurry to the exit but get as many kills as I could. It was recorded in GlBoom 2.2.4 (but will only run with GlBoom, no -compat used). Just give me some tips for maxkills and speedrunning though, since I am kinda new to demorunning, and this would be a good way to kill some spare time.

Oh, and you can get my demo here - http://www.geocities.com/jedi_0207/mod_map29_sp.zip

Also, its been a while since I played with prboom/glboom, and in that engine I use a different control set and I was still adjusting to it in places, so it may look like im kinda shaky :P

hmm... good to see you recording.
this demo desyncs for me in the first minute... then abruptly ends.
Does it playback for you? 'glboom -iwad doom2.wad -timedemo <demoname>'

Several templates to be had for demos: Grazza's: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/lmptempl.txt

Map29 is a brave map to start with... but I'm sure you're not new to this. :)
please try again. (maybe you zipped the wrong demo??)

Yes, it looks like this is simply the wrong demo - it's too short (88 seconds? - that's what LMPC suggests) to be a map29+map30 demo, desync or no desync. (It doesn't look like a desync to me though.)

MasterOFDeath said:

It was recorded in GlBoom 2.2.4 (but will only run with GlBoom, no -compat used).

It makes a lot of sense to stick "-complevel 0" in your command line (or "default_compatibility_level 0" in your glboom.cfg). This means it will play back with several other exes, can be analysed with tools such as LMPC, and removes all the weird behaviour you get with prboom/glboom's default settings (weapon recoil and changed monster AI being the most notable) without having to change all the compatibility settings individually.

Sorry, I didn't check for sync, but yes, I do die to early, but it doesn't look like I desync(must be something with the pain elementals). I will re-record it (with -compat 0 just for you Grazza :P ) And thanks for the the template Oplulent.

[EDIT] The new demo is done. Use the same link as above. Now, what map should I do next? :D

played back fine with doom2.exe.
I don't want to set a precendent that we encourage incomplete demos here, so please don't post failed attempts. I know this was more of a test than anything, so no big deal.
Anywho, what about supply base 2 as your next maxdemo? or any other map that tickles your interest. :)

Opulent said:

played back fine with doom2.exe.
I don't want to set a precendent that we encourage incomplete demos here, so please don't post failed attempts. I know this was more of a test than anything...

Are you quoting the "me dying on map30"? I almost didn't do map30, I just felt like throwing in a bit of it for fun :) :P

Opulent said:

Anywho, what about supply base 2 as your next maxdemo? or any other map that tickles your interest. :)

Hehe, why not? That or the Moonbase(more difficult), and maybe even the FIRST supply base :P Bah, I will do all three and put it all in one zip. But now the compatablity issue comes for supply base 2, it WON'T run with vanilla(unless you like a big fat VPO right at the start), so should I use -complevel 0 in prboom or not?

/me starts practicing

-complevel 0 means it will play back with Eternity too, with its chasecam, walkcam and stability in software mode at 1024x768. Extra options for the user can only be good.

Obviously, that is only if you haven't put anything in the map that requires Boom features.

All three of those wads are doom2 v1.9 format(but only 2 vanilla can handle), and therefore have no boom features, so -complevel 0 it is then. Look for them soon.