Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kristus

Zdoom and 3d effects.

Eh. anyone know if Zdoom have 3d effects in the works? I testen Nimrod with zdoom to see how much of it was compatible. (the dehacked worked without a hitch but alot of the textures animated the entire list) and this is what I saw...

That sure looks like 3d layered lights to me.

Randy did some experiments with portals to simulate 3D-effects but no attempt has been made to add 3D-floors.

ZDoom has one special that creates 3D-lights. This one is unfinished and somewhat buggy. But all of Legacy's 3D-floor specials are mapped to it so the result is hardly surprising.

As for the texture animations that's a minor bug in Nimrod's texture definition which is missing the FIREMAG1 texture from the FIREMAGx animation. ZDoom' texture lumps are cumulative so it takes the FIREMAG1 texture from the original and the FIREMAG3 texture from Nimrod which results in a large range of textures being animated.

yeah 3d lights are a gigantic pain in the ass to get working how you want them, and even then they still don't work properly :/ kinda annoying since it could be a pretty cool effect

Graf Zahl said:

ZDoom has one special that creates 3D-lights. This one is unfinished and somewhat buggy. But all of Legacy's 3D-floor specials are mapped to it so the result is hardly surprising.

Hmm, interesting. I thought 3d lights where more suted for opengl ports like doomsday and zdoomgl. I know vavoom uses 3d lights (which don't look half bad) but had no idea zdoom was capible of producing this effect (however limited). Is there a linedef or thing tag to test out this effect in levels, or is the code commented out within the source?

In Doom-format levels you can use the same linedef type as in Legacy for it (303/305). In Hexen-format levels it's linedef type 50. If you want a map that uses it check out Tormentor667's TNT:Lost Episode. Beware though: This thing is somewhat buggy.

Hmm. Yeah, I noticed about a year ago that, when out of boredom I opened up an old Legacy map of mine in ZDoom, that the 3D lighting was working, although there was a hom-ish looking thing on the ground of the sector where the 3D lighting was used. I couldn't find out the line-type for Hexen format though.. Now I know, I guess (not like I'm going to really put it to any good use, though).

Hmm, interesting. I thought 3d lights where more suted for opengl ports like doomsday and zdoomgl. I know vavoom uses 3d lights (which don't look half bad) but had no idea zdoom was capible of producing this effect (however limited)

They MEAN a 'block' of light which 'hangs' in the air, rather than filling a whole sector, not Dynamic lighting

Sadly, legacy's 3d lights only have 2 types: Light From the Floor going up, and
from the ceiling down. However you can stack 3d lights to define the light area.

iori said:

Sadly, legacy's 3d lights only have 2 types: Light From the Floor going up, and
from the ceiling down. However you can stack 3d lights to define the light area.

There's just ceiling down and a light which affects from the control sector's ceilheight to it's floor height (305) as far as I know.

iori said:

Oh, that's right. The Floor-Up type is documented, but not really there...

Oh, I didn't even know it was documented. In that case it might work, you tested it at all?

I think I did back in v1.32, it didnt work then. I see nothing in the source that indicates a change, so I'm guessing No. SoM would be the one to ask i assume, as he did all the 3d effects.