Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

PrBoom.wad

PrBoom.wad

Is that the IWAD I want to use to create a Boom map, or is there any compatibilty issue regarding feature legitimacy and version conflicts? I know there's several versions of PrBooms floating around, so I'm kinda weary about the correct Boom IWAD to use.

EDIT: Any helpful links beside the TNT site regarding Boom editing? Thanks.

PrBoom.wad is not an IWAD, you should use doom.wad or doom2.wad depending on which game you're editing for.

Actually, I'm using Doom Builder. I went to tools: configuration: files: selected the Boom IWAD slot: used PrBoom.wad as the IWAD.

It seemed to work fine for now; I can edit with the PrBoom.wad. But is that correct WAD to use in conjunction with the Doom2 IWAD to create a normal Boom-compatible map?

PrBoom.WAD only contains a few additional resources which are needed by PrBoom to run at all. It's not an IWAD, doesn't contain any textures or levels and has no use during editing at all. It has alteady been said: either select Doom2.WAD or Doom.WAD, depending on the game you want to edit for.

Just to emphasize that, note that in versions before the experimental 2.3.0, prboom.wad only appeared in the source releases (presumably the 2.1.x and 2.2.x executables included the data from it). It's mostly menu stuff, and the dog sounds and graphics (needed for MBF compatibility, and nothing to do with Boom itself).

If you're confused about the versions of Prboom, then Prboom 2.02 is a straight Windows port of Boom 2.02. Prboom 2.1.0 and onwards were a result of merging it with LxDoom and LSDLDoom (see this), and adding in new features (support for MBF features, a GL renderer and compatibility with Doom2.exe, etc.).

If you want Prboom 2.2.4 to emulate Boom 2.02, then the compatibility level to use is 5.