Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Shapeless

printing monsters

I googled this up. Don't know what it is but I've heard of a program that alows you to print out polygonal monsters and fold them up into 3d models. anyone got any idea what I'm talking about?

Probably a Quake 3 model, the machinegun is at least. Interesting program. Know what it's called? The program?

i had the program a while back. i also remember someone trying to do it with the doom md2.

i ran across it when looking for homeworld maps. they made models of the ships from the game by first makeing paper versions and then makeing a plastic and metal version. the also had the standard star trek and star wars stuff

Heh, there was a 3d printer at my high school. I mean LITERALY 3d. It printed out 3D models. It was pretty cool, but it could take all day to make one thing.

yea those things are sweet. i use to watch it between classes in college. yea it was slow. also depends on what material it was useing. paper, enedup more like wood, was common. when i say wood i mean it, looked and felt like it. also plastic and a type of crappy foam like plastic too.
the "printer" made the object with layers. something you should watch, if you got the time. they used it mostly in the engeneering classes

For one of the required intro classes at my college, we made stuff for a rapid prototyping machine using AutoCAD. The material is this kinda waxy plastic which seems to "sag" over time. You could make some crazy stuff, like this mechanical gear thing that had an indepedantly moving gear inside it... No assembly required, just create the thing in AutoCAD and send it to the machine. I think it created it in layers, from what I remembered.

thats the machien, rapid prototype. couldn't remember its name. i wihish i had taken the class. even if engeneering aint my thing it still would have been cool to use that device. heh, maybe that would have gotten me into engeneering

Danarchy said:

Heh, there was a 3d printer at my high school. I mean LITERALY 3d. It printed out 3D models. It was pretty cool, but it could take all day to make one thing.

I've heard of CAD machines making things out of metal, but that soudnds like somethign totally different.

POTGIESSER said:

I've heard of CAD machines making things out of metal, but that soudnds like somethign totally different.

Wouldn't that be CAM as opposed to CAD?