Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Games -> anything else = bad?

We all know that games turned into movies are atrocious (though personally I find Resident Evil to be an exception). The Doom novels were a pile of crap. And the comic... well 'nuff said.

Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft, Halo, Baldur's Gate and countless others have been novelized. Sonic and Pokemon have been both animated cartoons and comics, etc, etc.

The question is, are any of these things actually any good, or are adaptions of video games doomed (pardon the pun) to mediocracy no matter what game or the medium?

The Resadent Evils novels were ok. The comics are cool. Other then that I dont know. After all the crappy Doom stuff I never read or bought any thing game related.

They don't have to be bad. The problem is most of the time licenses and what have you are given to whoever has the best deal laid out on the table. If it gets to even a remotely serious stage it then gets Hollywooded to hell and back to satisfy the moronic movie-going general public, who laregly have no clue about the gaming universe. Hence to gamers this bastardised reproduction can be unrecogniseable from the original, and therefore loathed.

This is why amateur fanfic is always usually so much more relevant and interesting.

pritch said:

This is why amateur fanfic is always usually so much more relevant and interesting.

I can't help but notice that the fan-fic here has been largely ignored of late, though I know your comment isn't simply restricted to Doom.

The only movies that were made from a game, that I really liked, were the Mortal Kombat movies. But of course, the first one was better than the second.

I htought the old sonic cartoon (the more serious-ish one on ABC, not the dopey one) was pretty good, at least back then.

The Mario 3 series (not SMB Super Show), was pretty cool too.

Amaster said:

I htought the old sonic cartoon (the more serious-ish one on ABC, not the dopey one) was pretty good, at least back then.

The Mario 3 series (not SMB Super Show), was pretty cool too.

Are you talking about the original series? Or the "newer" one? When I was little I use to be really into sonic *hugs old Sega Genesis games* It was a good show back then, but then they had some kind of a new series that I didn't much care for. But, I don't rememb any details.

I didn't think the Super Mario movie was that bad. I know it has little to no representation the game itself, but on its own it's a pretty neat movie. I also really liked the Final Fantasy movie, and wish I owned it on DVD.

And think about all the other video game to whatever conversions out there - the Super Mario 3 Electric Toothbrush, for example.

S1lent said:

Are you talking about the original series? Or the "newer" one?

I mean the post-apocalytpic one that aired about 9 years ago. Not the one on WPIX (which is now WB).

Yes. That sonic cartoon was pretty darn cool in it's day. And if I remember correctly, the Donkey Kong (3d rendered) cartoon was pretty snazzy, too.

WildWeasel said:

I didn't think the Super Mario movie was that bad.

WHAT

The 3d Donkey Kong was a good serious, everything else... well, it's already been discussed.

I remember The SatAM Sonic the Hedgehog series being good, and so is the comic book by Archie (although I'm not too fond of the new talent they've hired for the art recently).

Amaster said:

I mean the post-apocalytpic one that aired about 9 years ago. Not the one on WPIX (which is now WB).

Oh ok, ya, that was a good series.

Amaster said:

I think you mean (as it was refered to as) SatAM Sonic the Hedgehog (as if I am not mistaken it was named that for being aired on Saturday Mornings.) Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was for more children types, which was the age I was when it was on, SatAM was for a more preteenish crowd of viewers.

I loved them both. Sonic Underground, however, was a bit odd, and not as great. But still pretty good.

The Super Mario Brothers Super Show was good too, though I didn't so much like the Legend of Zelda Fridays part, I liked the Mario part.

They made an awesome computer game out of Warhammer 40k.

Anyway, I thought the Double Dragon and SMB movies were pretty good. Not brilliant, but entertaining.

Spike said:

I can't help but notice that the fan-fic here has been largely ignored of late, though I know your comment isn't simply restricted to Doom.

Yeah, that's a bit of a shame. I might try and write some stuff for there this semester as I'll be needing the practice anyway.

The first sonic cartoon ruled, the second one was all twisted and shit and was trying to appeal to "The murderdolls brigade". Plus he needed a 'power ring' to run fast? what the fuck?. The sonic comic was pretty cool, to begin with (first 20 issues or so) then got amazingly shit.

My brother had the first RE book, and i thought it was really good, i enjoyed reading it more than playing the game, cause i couldnt get on with the annoying controls back then. i never saw any RE comics, where they any good?

Oh, and i also have the "Chaos Leauge" comic..under my bed. Its not quite as stupid as the doom comic, but is pretty crappy anyway ("Ok, i'm done drinking, is anybody dead yet?")

Spike said:

Yeah, I don't have much time to do fanfics of my own anymore and during the short amount of spare time I have these days, I can't mobilize the interest nor the resolve to sit down and read fan fics - not even those that I know are good (you know which I'm referring to ;-)).
The time I do devote to writing belongs solely to RTC-3057's story, which gets "tweaked" quite often.

Although yesterday, I actually did a little bit of independent fan fic writing, but don't expect me to post anything within the next half year. One day, I'm gonna take a thorough 'scan' through the fan fic forum to see if there's any good fan fics there.

As for the topic here, I hear the Resident Evil novels are quite good - not amazing, but actually interesting to read. I'm not much of an RE fan though, so I won't really bother to hunt for them.

I totally expect the Doom movie to suck - not as much because of the usual game-to-movie Curse of Evil, but because the Doom movie script writer (who's a Doom fan and has even posted on these forums a few times) has confirmed that the Hollywood execs are turning his script into a pile of shit. He did say that he managed to convince them to crank the rating up to an 'R' rating though - we'll see if that's true eventually.

Super Mario brothers super show super owned.
The Age of mythology board game is great imho.
And... uh... my sister has a plush pokemon which is kind of cute.

so no, Games -> anything is not = bad.